• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

early bedtime routine didnt work

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
well it worked out last night that he'd have his last feed at 8.30 (instead of 10/11) so thought we'd try and earlier routine

it didnt work tho just ment he was up early and needed 2 night feeds instead of one :wall:

one of the girls at babygroup said she feeds at 6 , then again at 8 then bed and even tho its been only 2 hours the babe still takes it an sleeps till 6 am , anyone else done this ?

im just worried that his bedtime will always ahve to be at like 10 pm and that doesnt give me and hubby any us time at all !

They early routine doesn't work for us either, we've got to keep him awake all day and early evening just allowing a couple of sleeps :)

us too!

any earlier to bed and we just get an extra night feed :(

I keep waiting for that magical day when we get more than 3 hours sleep at once....please be soon! :pray:

sorry if you already did this but perhaps move it forward slowly, moving his bed time forward half an hour per week. This is what we did with Seren and she is always in bed now by half seven at the latest, thouygh now she is dropping her daytime nap this is going forward another half hour/hour soon.

You will get your evenings back :hug:

Baby Smile feeds at 8/12/4 and then again at 6 - then bath at 6.45 - feed at 7.15 then into bed - dreamfeed at 1100 then sleeps till 6/7 usually and wants to play but isn't hungry...

he used to spend 6-10pm on my lap dosing on and off so we just put him to bed one night at around 9 weeks and gave him his late evenign feed as a dreamfeed - worked for us.

What Beanie said is great advice, nothing that is done can be done overnight usually, baby needs adjustment time and so giving something a couple of weeks is better than just giving it a night :hug: :hug: :hug: Plus, a routine isn't always something baby will agree to, they sometimes choose their own times, and things like illness, teething, can effect their routines too so best to take one day, one week, at a time. Very best wishes with it :hug: :hug: :hug:

We have just started waking Ella at 10ish to give her a feed and she is taking about 4 oz even though without it she would sleep until about 2, she is now sleeping until about 5 or 6 from that feed. So we have got our evenings back as we let her sleep until then and we also get some sleep at night!

Ky just sort of fell into his routine soon as i put him on the comfort milk. I cant keep him awake past 8pm he'll just conk out where ever he is. He doesnt wake up til 6am then and hes been like that since 8weeks old. but its 6am on the dot and he wants feeding straight away. he will NEVER go back down until about 8am for a 45min nap nap. Roll on teething coz im sure he wont stay like that forever! :shock: :roll:

last night went well ,

he was fed at 7 ish , the at 8ish i washed , creamed him and put him in his pj's , then he played instead of napped , at 9.30 he was getting grizzly but i ahve him another bottle , he took 4oz and was zonked out by 10 and in bed , he woke up at 5.45 !

it was a girl at baby group suggested given 2 bottles close together at bedtime , she does one at 6 and one at 8 and her lil girl sleeps though.

Sounds like you're doing a great job Gem.
It's still really really early to be sleeping through but I think it's a good idea to start your bedtime routine now like you're doing as they learn then that they're going to bed and to sleep.
Like Beanie and Redshoes say, persevere with it and take it very slowly.
You will get your evenings back I promise. It took us a while but we got there in the end.
I think we used to put Tom in his carseat between 8 and 11 as he slept in there without a problem. Then we'd give him a bottle and move him to his moses basket then.
Good luck. xx

i dont mind not having my evening but my dh is finding it hard adjusting to have no us time :roll: pah he never use to want us time !

Agree with Lucybee it is still very early days yet, you're doing the best thing by establishng a bedtime routine. At whatever time you think is best start winding down, bath, feed, then put him down in his moses basket/crib and let him get himself off to sleep.

It's key that baby learns to get him/herself off to sleep so that they learn to go through the different sleep patterns.

I started a bed time routine with my son when he was the same age as your LO.

I put him upstairs in his moses basket after being bathed and fed maybe at about 8 ish, I can't remember for sure. He would wake up at about 11pm for a feed and then maybe at about 2 and 5/6 am for feeds.

He started sleeping through the night at 4.5 months and apart from when he's been ill or teething we haven't had many disturbed nights at all. He's a brilliant sleeper, I'm sure part of that is because we established a bed time routine early on. Even now, he tells us when he wants his daytime nap and his body clock is tuned into a bedtime at 7pm.

It really won't be long at all before you get your evenings back. It's really important that you and your partner get that bit of time back to yourselves I think.

You're doing a fab job, it will pay off for you I'm sure of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back