E-day (starts tonight at 6pm)

Misslarue

Reaction score
starts tonight apparently!

the site shows the amount of electricity currently being used in England, Scotland and Wales in Gigawatts :shock:
http://e-day.org.uk/

Leave It Off

When
With the assistance of National Grid, E-day would like to invite the British public to “Leave It Off” from 6pm on Wednesdy 27 February until 6pm on Thursday 28 February, 2008.

What
Everyone who wants to take part in E-Day is being asked:

(1) To leave off household electrical items, which do not need to be on, and

(2) To leave these items off for as long as possible

Items that might be easy to leave off include:

- Lights left on in empty rooms or overnight

- Mobile phone chargers not being used but left plugged in

- Computers or printers left on overnight

- Televisions left on standby

The cumulative effects of millions of small energy saving measures will be shown on the E-Day homepage.

Why
Given the number of non-essential household items that are left on, the widespread uptake of this Leave It Off call to action has the potential to result in a 1-3% drop in the UK’s electricity demand.

If repeated regularly, it has been estimated that leaving off of unnecessary electrical items would equate to permanently turning off a medium-sized (500MW) coal-fired power station or not needing to use approximately 500 (1MW) wind turbines.

If every house in the UK left off just one 100W light bulb each for E-Day four medium-sized (500MW) coal-fired power station could be left off.

I can get behind that. Well I already do.

Nothing is left on standby, lights are all off, phone charger is never on :lol: computer is off...

Must be something else I can shut down to take part :lol: :roll:

oooh caught this just in time!

I make an effort to have as much off as possible, but I must admit I do leave my laptop charger turned on and some lights upstairs on, so off to turn everything off now before 6pm!!!!

I'm quite good a keeping things off, computer, telly, etc.................esp lights as it was drummed into me as a kid! I'm terrible at turning my washing machine off though, I leave it on constantly :x Just turned it off now though!

I already do this. In fact I am turning into my dad when it comes to turning off lights on other rooms. :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back