A&E visit - disgusted with the state of it

rhian85

Reaction score
OH had a wrist injuy so we went to A&E last night and i was horrified i have just created this draft e-mail for the trust headquaters - it says it all really.....
To whom it may concern; my partner and i had a visit to A&E last night as he had a wrist injury. however the experience was some what less than amusing, whilst waiting to be called in by the doctor we saw three nurses leave the department in uniform which i don't think is hygienic at all ! shortly after this another 2 nurses left the department via casualty waiting room, i guess they were on a break as i was appalled to see them standing outside the A&E entrance smoking then after ten minutes return to the department WITHOUT using the big red hand sanitiser on the door to casualty. if that wasn't enough my partner went to the loo only to return telling me that the Urinal was over flowing over the floor (bodily fluids being walked through the department!!!) by this time i was horrified and wanted to leave, as my partner needed to have an x-ray we had no choice but to stay. However on the way to x-ray we had to squeeze past a trolley that had been dumped "covered in blood" it was still there an hour later when we had to return to x-ray. i was totally appalled and i now know why so many patients come down with infection whilst in hospital. I my self am an orthopaedic patient due to have an operation but due to the media reports on infection along with what i saw in your accident and emergency department I'm now in two minds as whether to put my health at risk by having this operation. it seriously was disgusting, and i would like to know why nursing staff are allowed to walk home in uniforms...that its self is a hygiene risk my partner said i should of taken a picture of the trolley covered in blood and the smoking nursing staff and contacted the press with it. however i did not think of taking pictures at the time i was to appalled at the state of accident and emergency. I think i will give you time to reply before considering contacting the press as it purely is out of order and we are both so angry. I await a in-depth reply

i honestly was so annoyed....and they wounder why so many people get infections in hospital.... :shakehead: :shakehead: :puke: :puke:

My god. That's awful. And i thought my hospital was bad!
My sister had a miscarriage at 7.30pm, i took her to A&E at 8. Had 3 different staff members see her, none consulted each other so she answered the same questions 3 times. The said she needed a scan in the morning so stopping in/ At 11pm still on A&E they said they had no beds, at 12am they'd sent someone else home so a bed was free, at 1am i left as she was taken up! Turns out dad had to call them at 4am coz she was still sat waiting for a room!!! Then she bled all over the floor. They cleaned the bit up in her room but when i brought her home at 6pm the next even the rest the other side of the door was still there!! And no doctor came! She discharged herself!

But yours certainly takes the biscuit!

I had to take my SIL up to a&e with suspected appendicitis recently. While in a cubicle in a&e I noticed chewing gum stuck to the wall and something splattered on the wall. While we were there a cleaner did the floor but nothing else.

When she was transferred to the ward the curtain that goes around the bed had something that looked like dried blood on it. The curtains themselves are a hygiene risk with people brushing past them and I'm sure they aren't cleaned between every patient.

This is the main reason I'm not having baby at hospital unless there's an emergency.

I remember being in hospital with my Crohns years ago (this day actually in 2001 :rotfl: :rotfl: ) and the state of the wards was disgusting... I only saw one cleaner in a day and that was only to sweep and mob all the floors with same bucket, water and mop :puke: and there were incontinent old men using the ward... the floors in the toilet were sticky with urine... it was truly horrible... they wanted to operate but the woman opposite had a belly a mess with scars due to the infections she had gotten...

When I had lil miss here a cleaner came to clean my room 3 times a day... I was getting hacked off with her in the end because she was so thorough...!!!

That wasn't the Heath was it Rhian, I have been there a couple of times and it is appalling!

Nicola g said:
ewww Rhian was that ysbyty Gwynedd?

it sure was nicola.....mind u hun when i had christopher the draw unit on delivery had dried blood on it. then a week later i was rushed back to LLifon ward with sever heamorraging (sp) i was taken to delivery and a midwife came in with cloves on and wanted to do an internal :puke: i looked at her and said "couold u change ur gloves first" she gave me the most annoyed look as i had to ask her to change her gloves :shock: urrmm excuse me love but for all i know u could of had those hands up another woman :shock:

totaly disgusting....so nicola aviod YG !!! :shakehead: :shakehead:

ugh that is just digusting.

i would take the word amusing out though. doesn't sound right with the mood of the rest of the letter. otherwise definity great letter!

*Star* said:
ugh that is just digusting.

i would take the word amusing out though. doesn't sound right with the mood of the rest of the letter. otherwise definity great letter!

yeah ur right hun...just read it back to my self and i see what u mean...good job i havent sent it yet...still so angry over it all :shakehead: :x :x :x

I am a nurse and although I dont wear a uniform because I work in theatres, there is no rule to say you are not allowed to wear your uniform to and from work.

I dont have an issue with them walking home in uniform, as long as they clean them its fine.

Its a long time since ive been near an A&E department thankfully but i've been in the labour suite (seperate hospital) recently and thought it was actually really clean, i was quite impressed tbh.

However, i have been told to basically look out for number one when i go to give birth, so make sure if anyone touches me they have clean gloves etc on.

My mother has also stashed a bottle of the alcohol hand wash in my hospital bag and told me if anyone goes near baby to make sure they're washed their hands first and to ensure the same applies to myself. I dont think you can ever really be too careful in hospital. I wanna be in and out ASAP without infections etc

Have added some punctuation to make it flow a bit better. :oops: Hope you don't mind

To whom it may concern

My partner and I visited A&E last night as he had a wrist injury, however the experience was some what less than amusing. Whilst waiting to be called in by the doctor we saw three nurses leave the department in uniform which I don't feel is hygienic at all. Shortly after, another 2 nurses left the department via the casualty waiting room-I was appalled to see them standing outside the A&E entrance smoking, then, after ten minutes return to the department WITHOUT using the big red hand sanitiser on the door to casualty.

I that wasn't enough, my partner went to the toilets and returned telling me that the urinal was overflowing over the floor meaning bodily fluids being walked through the department! I was horrified and wanted to leave, but, as my partner needed to have an x-ray we had no choice but to stay. On the way to x-ray we had to squeeze past a trolley that had been dumped, covered in blood. It was still there an hour later when we had to return to x-ray. I am totally appalled and I now know why so many patients come down with infections whilst in hospital. I am an orthopaedic patient due to have an operation at your hospital, but, due to the media reports on infection along with what I have seen in the accident and emergency department; I am now in two minds as to whether I will put my health at risk by having this operation. In my opinion the state of the department was disgusting, and I would like to know why nursing staff are allowed to walk home in uniforms as that itself is a hygiene risk.

In hindsight, I should have taken a photograph of the trolley in question and of the nursing staff as I feel this is an issue the local press should be aware of. I will be writing a letter to the local paper regarding the experience.

I await a reply and a written apology.

Yours Truly,

I'd write to the local paper anyway :talkhand: Sounds Gross :puke:

Jade&Evie said:
Have added some punctuation to make it flow a bit better. :oops: Hope you don't mind

To whom it may concern

My partner and I visited A&E last night as he had a wrist injury, however the experience was some what less than amusing. Whilst waiting to be called in by the doctor we saw three nurses leave the department in uniform which I don't feel is hygienic at all. Shortly after, another 2 nurses left the department via the casualty waiting room-I was appalled to see them standing outside the A&E entrance smoking, then, after ten minutes return to the department WITHOUT using the big red hand sanitiser on the door to casualty.

I that wasn't enough, my partner went to the toilets and returned telling me that the urinal was overflowing over the floor meaning bodily fluids being walked through the department! I was horrified and wanted to leave, but, as my partner needed to have an x-ray we had no choice but to stay. On the way to x-ray we had to squeeze past a trolley that had been dumped, covered in blood. It was still there an hour later when we had to return to x-ray. I am totally appalled and I now know why so many patients come down with infections whilst in hospital. I am an orthopaedic patient due to have an operation at your hospital, but, due to the media reports on infection along with what I have seen in the accident and emergency department; I am now in two minds as to whether I will put my health at risk by having this operation. In my opinion the state of the department was disgusting, and I would like to know why nursing staff are allowed to walk home in uniforms as that itself is a hygiene risk.

In hindsight, I should have taken a photograph of the trolley in question and of the nursing staff as I feel this is an issue the local press should be aware of. I will be writing a letter to the local paper regarding the experience.

I await a reply and a written apology.

Yours Truly,

I'd write to the local paper anyway :talkhand: Sounds Gross :puke:[/quote

no i dont mind hun, im welcome to corrections/sugestions to make it sound better!!!!

bloody hell, thats why when i have baby i want to be in and out asap!!

I think its the same in alot of hospitals really. I'm an Emetephobe so If I go to A&E I am very wary of people, when we took Harrison last year (he has a minor head injury :( ) someone was ill and it was still there when I came out 4 hours later :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back