dummies...

BeckyJ

Reaction score
does anyone with children use these? has anyone got one for thier bump?

i wasnt going to use them but then thought about putting one in my hospital bag just incase??? what do i look for when buying one???

thanks girlies

I would pack one just incase... i wasn't gonna give Keeley a dummy but she was a very suckly baby so a dummy helped her and me lol.

If you go to boots or somewhere and just buy a pack of newborn dummies :)

I have one it came with my first baby health and hygiene kit.
Ive decided to only use a dummy for sleep times, but i think when my baby is teething i'll use it then to. I dont wont my child premently attached to a dummy or to use it to silence them because they our making a racket. I will try and find out what is making my child unhappy and sort it. I know some times i'll be tempted to stick the thing in but i will strongly resist this for the reason below................
I have 4 year old at my nursery who still get given a dummy by paretnts to shut them up becaues they our playing up or to keep them quite till they get them through the door at nursery.
And its us who have to deal with the fall out when we try to detach the child from the dummy. It anoys me as these children can be only a matter of weeks away from going to school.
Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant Becky

no ur not ranting sarah, thats the reason why i didnt want to use a dummy because i didnt want them getting attached to it

i think i will do what you both said ang get a couple just incase and maybe just use them at night, i'll see how the baby is

thanks for the advice girlies

I'm all for nighttime and sleeping use (iirc I read somewhere about them being benifical then), but don't hold much with them for trying to quieten or pacify a baby at other times.

I plan on getting a few, but will only use when baby is in the cot so as they don't associate it with anywhere else.

my bubs will have a dummy if he wants one, Il just try and see. I have lots incase he does want one. Yes, he may get attached to it but like anything it can be persuaded off them. I rememebr giving up my dummies with not too much fuss, it just depends how you handle it I think
:)

ETA: He wont be having one as soon as he is starting to talk as it definately delays speech development

geordie lass said:
I have 4 year old at my nursery who still get given a dummy by paretnts to shut them up becaues they our playing up or to keep them quite till they get them through the door at nursery.
And its us who have to deal with the fall out when we try to detach the child from the dummy. It anoys me as these children can be only a matter of weeks away from going to school.

Heh I have similar experiences when nannying :roll: One family were still giving their children their drinks from bottles with teats and the oldest was 6 :shock: Try giving her a drink in heaven forbid a feeder or a cup and she wailed. I used to despair how she managed at school, I don't think she drank or ate while there if she could help it :wall: Of course, the younger son copied her and it became hellish to care for them.

Sherlock
I know where your coming from
We have had at least 2, 3/4 year old who have carried on using juice bottles. And we have seen the terrible effect its had on their poor teeth Rotten Black and braking of and mishapen :cry:
IT HORRENDOUS :x :shock:
WE our the ones who noticed and adviced the PARENTS mabye they should visit the dentist. US who as diplomaticaly as possible advised mabye they should be at the age of 4 using a cup.
The dentists funnily enough adviced the same and tolled them to stop the bottles straight away. Its to late for thier baby teeth i just hope and :pray: it has not effected their adult teeth underneath. :pray:

As soon as the children our at an age to use a cup at the nursery they use that we dont give them to much juice anyway is a treat and the low sugar type.

My oldest had a dummy when he was sleeping etc and I had no problem taking them away when he was 1. I tried my daughter with one but she spat them out and hated them and so chose to suck her thumb. Thumb sucking is much much harder to get them out of so I would prefer my child to have a dummy rather than his/her thumb.

Caitlin still sucks her thumb npw and she is 4 :?

my litte one will have a dummy if he wants it
some kids just dont take to them though my mates little girl would spit it back out she never had it,
my auntie on the other hand still lets her 8 yo daughter have it for bed!!! i wont be doing that he can give it up way befroe nursery
manda xx

James had a dummy until he was 3! I was always adament when he was first born that he would not have one (due to the stories of bad teeth) but he developed colic at about a month old and would cry for literally hours on end (the record was 5 hours I think!). I gave him a dummy out of desperation and it did work.

It didn't affect his teeth at all but he did get very attached to it, if we were out and he dropped it he would cry so much I often had to go into a shop to buy a new one! I had a battle weaning him off it.

This time I will try and avoid giving baby a dummy, but I'll buy him one just in case, having a baby cry for 5 hours solid is not pleasant!

I wouldnt go out and buy a dummy for my baby myself, however my friend has put one in her little baby pack shes making. If i feel he needs it i'll give him it but i dont intend to allow him toget attached to it too much.
I was one of those babies who spat it straight back out everytime they gave me one, and my brother was the same, my sister however used to steal other babies dummies and sucks her thumb now, thats the last thing i want my child doing
Clare x

Pack one just in case... especially if you plan on breast feeding.. unless you're happy to have a sucky baby constantly attached to your nipple :rotfl: :rotfl: Some babies have them.. some don't like them.. we are all individuals and babies are no different.

They don't cause teeth problems, but giving your baby a bottle does... which is why when Tia reached 6 months, she never had a bottle, only a beaker.. I could rant forever on the benefits of dummies over thumbs and fingers for comfort, being a child who never took a dummy but preferred her thumb and spent years and years of horrible and painful orthodontic treatment and teasing at school because of my buck teeth caused by sucking my thumb...

Tia never really got that attached to her dummy, she was never really attached to anything much, except teddy... but she did "require" it at night times as well as a night light being on.. She was afraid of the dark and I think it was just comfort. But come 3 years old, it was gone... mainly because I just stopped replacing them when they got old, worn out, or lost.. and eventually the last one I made her put in the bin in time for xmas.

She still slept with the light on though for years after :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back