Formula milk

kerrie89

Reaction score
Just wondered which brand of formala milk you guys are going to go for and if anyone has any recommendtions? Im definately not breast feeding and im thinking anout cow and gate milk to start with and see how she gets on with that? Would people just suggest buying one tub to start with just incase?

Aptmil is the best as recommend by our mw here. My daughter had a formula feed added to her breast feeding they told me it's the closest on baby's tummy to breast milk and my daughter did just fine on it. It is not advisable to change around the formula brands so be sure it's one you can get hold of regularly . xx

Last edited:
We used Aptamil at first but lo ever took to it so we switched to Cow & Gate and LO never had any problems. I would buy a couple of tins to get you through the early days but as you say, I wouldn't recommend buying too much just in case the baby doesn't take to it for any reason.
It's not advisable to keep changing brands of milk but doing it once in the early days is fine, it was actually our GP that advised we change brands and the mw agreed.
Whatever you choose just make sure it is available in your local stores in case of emergency, you dont want to run out :shock:

Any reason that you are not breastfeeding hun?

I am asking, not having a go!

My sister and SIL didn't breastfeed so I know not all women want to / can.

But I just wonder how comes you had decided so early

And yep Aptimal is the formula of choice

xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx

I know that everyone is different but my SIL didnt have a good experience and i know a lot of parents and children that havent benefited from it.

I would like my OH to be able to do feeds too as i think it will be good for him.

Even before i got pregnant its something that i knew i wouldnt want to do - suppose its just a mix of reasons.

Yep think i may try aptimal as my mum said she used that too x

I'm using sma gold at first then sma hungry baby if needed, everyone I know who don't breast feed use this and its what me & dj were fed as babies we turned out ok lol so we're having sma xxxx

If I dont manage to BF, I will be using Cow and Gate.
I used this with AJ and my sister used it with both her boys. x

xxxxxxx

I know that everyone is different but my SIL didnt have a good experience and i know a lot of parents and children that havent benefited from it.

I would like my OH to be able to do feeds too as i think it will be good for him.

Even before i got pregnant its something that i knew i wouldnt want to do - suppose its just a mix of reasons.

I had this same throught about oh feeding as I think baby would bond more with me if not. I have been back and forward on the idea so many times but i think iv finally deside to do both as I feel breast feeding would be easy for night feeds but want be doing it for long. plus I can use a pump lol :)

Give it a go ladies ESP if you've never tried before. I wasn't keen but did it and still going strong 6 months on :) dads don't need to feed to bond :)

If you decide not to id urge you to hand express your collustrum before your milk comes in and feed it using a spoon as that stuff is so so good for baby!

xxxxxxx

I had this same throught about oh feeding as I think baby would bond more with me if not. I have been back and forward on the idea so many times but i think iv finally deside to do both as I feel breast feeding would be easy for night feeds but want be doing it for long. plus I can use a pump lol :)

You should both do what you feel comfortable with, and if breast feeding is not something you want to do then this is 100% your decision. I am not breast feeding this time (I couldn't with my first because of so many reasons!) and I tire of people trying to persuade me that I should. It may suit some people and that is great but it is not for everyone and only you can decide what is right for you. Either way, you can still have a happy, healthy baby and you will always have a special bond with your lo no matter what. Good luck ladies :)

I was adamant I was going to bf my last lo, but when It came to it didn't and he has turned into a healthy happy toddler, Not sure if I'll try again this time, think I'm going to wait till lo is here and see how I feel.

I would also recommend aptimil, it's a little more expensive. My last lo started on cow and gate with Tommee Tippee bottles and was very colicky, so we changed to aptimil and mam bottles and he was a different baby :)

If we cant manage breast feeding for whatever reason we'll use cow & gate we think unless recommended otherwise at any point x

Give it a go ladies ESP if you've never tried before. I wasn't keen but did it and still going strong 6 months on :) dads don't need to feed to bond :)

If you decide not to id urge you to hand express your collustrum before your milk comes in and feed it using a spoon as that stuff is so so good for baby!
I really do agree, believe it or not I was so against breast feeding when I was expecting my first I actually found the thought of getting my breast out and then attraching a baby to it so totally wrong , BUT once I'd actually given birth I changed suddenly my thoughts were not about how I felt but it was 100% my baby and I would do anything if it was right for my baby . When baby is on your chest straight after birth rooting for a breast nothing else would be more natural .
I have now breast fed 5 babies and I don't mind telling you I am so looking forward to breast feeding again .
Wait and see how you feel after the birth please don't jump to a descision so early on , even if you only breast feed for the time your in hositpal or a day or two it's all so important to you and your baby do try before you decide .
Also my daughters breast feeding was topped up with expressed and later formula feeding which my OH always gave her you don't have to exclude breast feeding for hubby to have a go . xx

I was like and totally didn't want to BF but I have since changed my mind as I want to try it and give it my best shot. At least if it doesn't work I know untried my best, I have also bought bottles so I can express and oh can feed baby too. A girl from work recently had her baby and she said she wish she had Bf with her first as she now finds it so easy and baby is only 3 weeks old. x

I know i may change my mind when baby is born but i think that it right for some people and not for others.
If i wasnt 100% sure then i wouldnt even attempt it as i dont think that would be the right think for me or my baby.

I know i may change my mind when baby is born but i think that it right for some people and not for others.
If i wasnt 100% sure then i wouldnt even attempt it as i dont think that would be the right think for me or my baby.

Absolutely agree hun! As with all other aspects of motherhood, what suits one person doesnt neccessarily suit another. You have to go with whats best for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back