DUMMIES REDUCE COT DEATH 90%

yea i seen that on the news! i was slightly worried at first when jamie would sleep with his dummy in but relieved now!! lol

God there's so much conflicting advice isn't there? It's a nightmare, especially when you're so jumpy as a first time mum. My mum's keen on dummies as is my husband's mum. I tried him with it last night when he kept waking and not drifting off again but he woke up when it fell out! Do they end up sleeping on them? When do they stop scratching themselves in the face as he seems keen to suck his fingers when his mittens are off and he needs comforting? (I've tried peeling the sharp nails off but it's tricky and they seem to grow so).

+++

Yes there nails seem to grow so quickly! im forever cutting jamies, best to do it when they are asleep! he still scratchs himself, he wont keep the mittens on he gets too frustrated because he wants to suck his hand and cant find it!!! lol
I agree too, there is so much conflicting advice on everything, its hard to know what to believe!! especially as a first time mum its very confusing!!

Well ladies i learnt with Amy that people give you different stories to pieces of advice and old wives tales it was confusing me even more so what i did was listened (so not to look rude) and just did what I thought was right.
At the end of the day you are their mum and they are in your care.

As for Dummies i have just bought a pack today for this baby arriving, Amy had had one since day one and she will suck it until she falls to sleep and then it drops out of her mouth she doesn't have it during the day. Believe me it is harder to get a thumb off them than a dummy, my cousin is 16 and she still sucks her thumb. She wasn't given a dummy so found it a comfort to indulge in her thumb.

Girls do what YOU think is right :D :D

I agree with you, it is so confusing!!!

It is the same for sleeping. During my mum's time you would put baby on his side to sleep and never on her back!!! Well now, they say to put baby on her back!!! So my mum asked me, what happens if baby is sick during the night and is on her back? Does she breath/swallow it? I can see her point there but GPs say on her back!!! My niece has the top of her head "flat" to be on her back all the time!!!

Too much confusion and if you disregard their advice, they think you know it all and take it badly :shock: :roll:

My mum never gave me or my brother one and we sucked our thumb for years. I'm going to give my baby one if she wants it

i read that report, going to stock up on dummies now.

just one word of advise to all the new and expectant mums, dont let your baby suck their thumbs.

kieran sucked his thumb and i used to think, aww how cute.

kieran has completely ruined the shape of his mouth and he needs major orthodontic work. and he stopped doing this at 7.

Don't forget the report also said that if a baby who usually has a dummy doesn't use it for one night, their cot death risk factor is increased.

In a statement, The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID) said: "Our advice is that it there is no reason for parents not to use a dummy but if they do, they must use it every time the baby sleeps and never forget to give the baby the dummy."

So what do you do if the dummy keeps falling out?

sorry guys but i hate dummies, ok at night yeah ..but when i see 5yr olds still wuth a dummy in their mouth in the supermarket it makes my blood boil!

i did try a dummy with my boy, but he would not take to it at all, and so has never had one, and i wont be introducing one.i know its my risk, but in afew yrs time they will say dummies are bad, look at sleeping one yrs its on back, then on front then on back!!

its all so confusing... v disconcerting for a 1st time mum.

i agree, the thing is if i give my baby a dummy i will be checking him constantly throughout the night to make sure that it hasnt dropped out.

Amy has had a dummy from day 1, she is now just under 2, she only has it at night and it falls out of her mouth as soon as she falls into a deep sleep. but it is one thing that i have never thought of worrying about.

I'm not being funny but if we listenend to every warning that they put out we wouldn't eat cos of the fear of all the chemicals, we wouldn't go out of the house scared of what we are exposed to, it getting ridiculous.

Dummies have been going for years and i have never heard of a dummy falling out of their mouth increasing the risk of cot death. I thought they didn't know what caused cot death so how do they know what will increase it and what wont??

:? :?

good point Amy's mum, i don't think they will ever find what causes it, even adults can die of cot death, one of my school teachers died from adult cot death syndrome. even the post mortem gave no further ideas to why he died.
so do we need to have dummies at night!! :shock: :D

Dummies are for everyones individual preference, i wanted one for Amy and this baby as it i didn't want them sucking their thumbs.

This time last year people were not worrying about whether it was safe for their babies to have dummies!! So many things have been cautioned throughout this year i don't bother listening to the news anymore,

no wonder new mums suffer from post natal depression more these days, they have so much drummed into their heads they don't know what right or wrong, it's hard enough without all that as well!!

Moan over!! :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back