Drinking and smoking while TTC

susan_1981

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I recently suffered a MMC at 12 weeks. Found out the baby died at 7 weeks 2 days. I'm convinced something wasn't right from the start as I never felt pregnant.

Anyway, I know people keep telling me not to blame myself but I actually would feel better if I had a reason, even if that means blaming myself.

When I was TTC, I was still drinking and smoking. I was drinking pretty much every day, not loads during the week but quite a bit during the weekends as I was always out and about. I smoked quite heavily as well. For this reason, I kept doing pregnancy tests to check if I was pregnant so that I could stop as soon as I found out. Well I found out I was pregnant this time at about 3.5 weeks and gave up pretty much straight away.

What I want to know is is it possible that this caused my miscarriage? I know they say that if you smoke and drink while TTC it can reduce the quality of your eggs. This time, I intend to stop drinking and smoking completely when TTC so I know that nothing I have done could affect my pregnancy.

I don't think I have any medical problems as, when I was 17 (please don't judge me), I had a termination of my own choice. I had got pregnant with the boyfriend I was with at the time. I didn't want him in my life forever and nor did I feel ready for a child. I didn't realise I was pregnant until about 10/11 weeks as I was in complete denial about the whole thing. I knew I had missed a few periods but put this down to the stress of my exams that I was taking at the time. Anyway, I had a scan at about 12/13 weeks and the baby was completely healthy. I have to say that I don't regret having this termination, I just regret getting pregnant in the first place. But the termination was the right thing for me to do.

I feel terrible that I aborted a perfectly healthy baby and this time, I couldn't have wanted my baby any more than I did but it died. I just want to know if you think drinking and smoking while TTC could have had an effect?

i wasnt TTC when i first got pregnant with melissa, but i was taking large amounts of cocaine and amphetamines, probably around conception and during early pregnancy too. i got my BFP at 6 weeks and quit everything cold turkey :angel: and still had a healthy nine months and now have a healthy strapping 18-month-old

i wasnt TTC when i got pregnant last month either, wasnt on coke but i was taking zydol, valium and codeine i'd been prescribed after a car accident and i was on prozac too. i got my BFP at 4 weeks 4 days and again quit everything cold turkey. sadly i miscarried that baby at 5 weeks.

most miscarriages are down to a problem with either the egg, or the sperm, or both- at conception and are "doomed" from the start- sadly- we have no control over it some folk can be the epitome of health and still miscarry.

try not to blame yourself i kno its hard thou :hug:

PS i contemplated aborting both my pregnancies- i think all unplanned pregnancies are considered- i for one certainly wont judge you. i feel terrible that i lost my second baby because i'd agreed to have a termination and "wished" a m/c on myself, i felt like i'd "jinxed" it :(

Please don't blame yourself. :hug:

I know people who have taken heroin and methadone all the way through their pregnancies and the baby survived (had to do cold turkey but survived)

I also know people who have smoked including marijuana and drank heavily and took cocain throughout their pregnancies and have given birth.

My opinion on mc's is: It just wasn't ment to be from day one, no matter what you do whatever happens was always going to happen.

:hug: Good luck TTC again :hug:

Certainly wouldn't judge anyone. I know it's hard to give up addictions. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back