Downs Screening Programme

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have the form for the blood test you get on the NHS for detecting how high risk you are for having a baby with Downs Syndrome, but i really dont know if i want it. For me it wouldnt change anything and i would continue with the pregnancy.

My partner said he would like to know so we could be prepared but even if im a high risk then i wouldnt want the amnio test as thats got a risk of miscarriage.

So.. if i found out i was high risk then i would worry all through the pregnancy and would rather not know.

Are you all having it? I know this is a bit of a depressing topic but im really stuck on what to do!

Claire x

ive had it done with all my other pregnancies. i will probley have it done this time too, as if it comes back high at least i know that there might be something wrong and i can prepare for it. im the same as you i would'nt have the amnio done either if it came back as high risk.

hi hun i have never had the test on any of my children i wouldnt have an amnio and i dont see the point in having the test if all i will do is worry all through my pregnancy i wouldnt have a termination so no point having any tests xxxxxxx

Im the same as Rach! I wont be having the test! I didnt with any of my others and I dont see the need! If I came back as high risk, it wouldnt change anything except that I would worry and stress alot more through the pregnancy!

Thanks everyone. I think i just needed to know that there were others out there who didnt have the test done. I know deep down i dont want it but feel like maybe im being irresponsible for not having it. I think it tests for spina bifida aswell? The only reason i think id want it if there was something they picked up which could be cured by some treatment but my understanding is there isnt.

If im wrong about any of this then please let me know. I think i have to take the form to my scan on monday. im sure i have to book my next midwife appointment too.

Claire x

nori said:
Thanks everyone. I think i just needed to know that there were others out there who didnt have the test done. I know deep down i dont want it but feel like maybe im being irresponsible for not having it. I think it tests for spina bifida aswell? The only reason i think id want it if there was something they picked up which could be cured by some treatment but my understanding is there isnt.

If im wrong about any of this then please let me know. I think i have to take the form to my scan on monday. im sure i have to book my next midwife appointment too.

Claire x

Your not being in any way irresponsible if you do not take the test!!
I think they usually do a AFP test seperate anyways dont they? (It has been over 6 years since I needed tests lol) Or is this the AFP test? Have they changed the name?
The thing is like you said, they cannot cure them, so if it will change nothing, then why have the test?
If you want to know for sure and want to prepare if it comes back that your child may have downs syndrome then have the test!
Its totally up to you! There is nothing right or wrong about it! :hug:

Ive already told my MW that I will decline test, it wont change anything, and it will just add stress onto the rest of my pregnancy

lea m said:
I think they usually do a AFP test seperate anyways dont they? (It has been over 6 years since I needed tests lol) Or is this the AFP test? Have they changed the name?

I have no idea.. im confused.. i have a purple form in my bounty pack saying downs screening but was under the impression it tested for other things aswell. I think i need another midwife appointment soon so will ask. Either way.. i am going to decline them. As you quite rightly said there is no right or wrong but because i wont opt for the amnio test there would be no point.

Thanks again,

Claire x

I've heard mixed comments about the blood test.
My midwife told me that it can only give you an indication of the risk you might have. My friend's midwife was even less positive about it and gave her the impression that it isn't always accurate.

I didn't have it last time as I knew I wouldn't have an amnio and therefore thought it was pointless. This time because having a baby with special needs of any kind would affect more than me and OH we gave it a bit more thought but came to the conclusion that having lost a baby to miscarriage already I know I could never have an amnio and increase the risk of miscarrying a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back