Do's and Don'ts.....

Minime

Reaction score
I think things may have changed since my last child who'll be 14 when this one is due. I remember you werent allowed to eat pate, raw eggs (mayo etc) liver and cant remember anything else. Is mayo still a no no? Anything added to the list?

Do they put babies on their back still?

I dont have a clue anymore :shock:

Mayo is ok unless its homemade i think. Also peanuts and some cheeses are off the menu now. Can't think of anythink else.
Babies are still put down on there backs with thier feet to the bottom of cot!

Hi - hope this helps

Listeriosis is a rare flu-like illness caused by the bacteria listeria monocytogenes. In pregnancy it may cause miscarriage, stillbirth or severe illness in the newborn baby. Pregnant women are advised to avoid those foods where high levels of the bacteria are occasionally found: paté, prepared salads such as potato or coleslaw, and soft and blue-veined cheeses such as brie, camembert and stilton. There is no risk associated with hard cheeses such as cheddar or with cottage cheese, processed cheese or cheese spread.

Toxoplasmosis is an illness caused by a parasite found in cat faeces, raw meat, soil on vegetables and, occasionally, goats' milk. In rare cases it can be passed on to the unborn baby, resulting in a range of problems, some of them serious. As a safeguard, pregnant women shouldn't eat raw or undercooked meat, unpasteurised goats' milk or cheese, or unwashed raw fruit and vegetables. Good food hygiene practices should be followed with pets too: contact with cat litter trays or soil that may have been fouled by cats should be avoided. If this isn't possible, make sure you wear gloves.

Salmonella poisoning isn't likely to have a direct adverse effect on the baby, but it is best avoided. As a precaution, steer clear of foods containing raw or lightly cooked eggs (eg, homemade mayonnaise, some sauces and mousses). Eggs dishes should be cooked until both the white and yolk are solid. Raw meat and chicken can also be a source of salmonella, so make sure all meat - and especially poultry - is thoroughly cooked. It's also important to avoid contamination of other foods by washing your hands after touching raw meat and by preventing raw meat and poultry from touching or dripping onto other food, especially that which is already cooked or will be eaten raw. Take care at parties, where food is left in warm rooms and the bacteria grow quickly.

Alcohol
Heavy drinking during pregnancy will harm the unborn child, and there is evidence that it's associated with birth defects and lower birth weight. Excess alcohol may also affect the mother's nutritional status by affecting or substituting for other foods.

The Department of Health advises pregnant women not to drink more than one or two units of alcohol once or twice a week, and to avoid binge drinking. In practice, many women go off the taste and smell of alcohol in early pregnancy.

Caffeine
Caffeine, found in tea, coffee and many soft drinks, interferes with your body's absorption of iron and other nutrients. Current recommendations suggest that pregnant women should have no more than 300mg of caffeine per day, which is equivalent to four cups of coffee, six cups of tea, or eight cans of cola

They also advise to avoid peanuts if you have a history of allegies in your family.

Coffeeeeee and peanuts :shock:

Peanuts are my equivalent to chocolate as I'm not keen on choc :think:

Thanks for the list, other than coffee and nuts I dont touch any of the others anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back