Doppler/ heart rate

MagicMarkers

Reaction score
I bought a new fangled doppler thats got the heartrate on the screen, the mas one,and its absolutely brilliant, highly recommend it for anyone whos yet to succumb to the lure of dopplers ! But iv got 2 niggles. . . .

The first, why cant i find them ? I sat for half an hour when it first arrived in the post prodding and manovering and regelling and couldnt find anything, and i was getting a bit stressed out and nervy and the whole point of getting the thing was to make me chill a bit, so i thought il give it a rest and try again later.

Then OH comes home, asks if he can have a try, so although i warn him that i spent ages earlier, and its probably too early, etc etc. Literally as soon as he put the microphone bit onto my skin we started hearing the little, smoosh, smoosh, smoosh of their heartbeat, which was AMAZING !!!! :dance:

But then i had another go this morning, and id remembered where he found LO yesterday so i might be able to find it easier but :( so i asked OH to come find it for me. . . straight away again, its a great way for him to feel involved as i know sumtimes he feels a bit out of it as nothings physically changing for him and. . .

I know its ridiculous but i think this is definate favouritism on LO's behalf and i dont approve . . . . why cant i find the heartbeat ?!?!?!? :wall:
Nevermind i suppose i should just be grateful we found LO in the end, thought they must have wriggled somewhere rally obscure to start with, went up as far as my belly button before i decided it was probably just too early to hear it lol

Anyways . . . my second grumble is as the heartbeat comes up on the monitor its got me a little worried, as in the booklet you get with it it says you'll realise its not your heartbeat as it will be significantly higher, from 120-140 and so far LO's has been 84 and 91, do you think its because maybe the instruction were written for people further along or does that sound low to you guys ????

I dont want to get worried for no reason but ive googled this to no avail, so thought someone might know averages maybe ?!?!?

Anyways bit of a rant more than anything, ignore where necessary :hug:

It may well be that you're picking up your own pulse. I've only just got a definite hearing of babys hb and you can tell it's baby as the HB is that much faster and completly different rythem to that of ours.

No i dont think so its a completely diff sound, mines more of a bumping, LO's sounds all smooshy and underwater a bit, plus if he moves the doppler a bit to see if he can get it clearer it disappears, so if it was mine itd be there all the time wouldnt it ? Plus it is much faster than mine, just not as fast as the book says it should be :S

That must have been your placenta hun as babys heart rate are between 110 and 170 depending on the stage. That makes a swooshing noise. It can take a bit of searching at first so try not to worry.x

If the bpm is 84/91 that does sound like it's your own pulse that it's picking up.

You're right though they are totally distinguishable sounds so not sure why you can hear the fast heartbeat but the display shows a bpm more likely to be yours.

They can be elusive to find at this early stage, stick with it though you'll soon be able to find it much easier.

Sounds to me like you are picking up your own heartbeat. Thats about normal range. You can hear 3 noises clearly usually, your heartbeat, baby one and the placenta whooshing.

Start really low down on your pelvic bone with lots of gel and start working side to side and slowly up. At 17 weeks LO will be somewhere down low. Does not reach your bellybutton till well gone 20 weeks so concentrate lower down. Do this lying down, with a fairly full bladder.

Often people describe a babys heartbeat as sounding like galloping horses or a choo choo train chugging. Smooshy and underwater does not sound like I'd describe it at all. Are you sure its not the placenta you are hearing if you are sure its not your own heartbeat. You can always check your pulse on your neck to see if it fits in with the doppler beat.

Also for some reason babys heartbeat can often be picked up in more than once place when listening so don't fret if that happens.

I'd keep trying but don't fret if you can't find it. This is why sometimes Dopplers can be more a curse than a help alas. But even those of us who are well used to finding heartbeat often are unable to so you are not alone.

^ You can tell Sherlocks gonna make a fab Mummy lol!

Hearing the heartbeat is fantastic and i find that OH feels more involved when he does it too...

:hug:

thanks for everyones advice, i feel like such a div !! Id never heard heartbeat before so just assumed this new different noise must be theirs didnt know the placenta had a heartbeat :S anyways trying not to worry, will have a good old dopple (?) , go with my doppler lol tomorrow when iv got a good old bladderfull, bit more hopeful now i know what im looking for and where to start !!!

Thanks u guys !! :hug:

I found LO !!!! I was looking in completely the wrong place, too high and im not sure why but i was feeling on the right and found them on the left !! Anyways very relieved sounds a bit wishywashy still but 134, thats definately not me !!!!! YAY :dance: :cheer: :dance: :cheer:

scatterpatch said:
I found LO !!!! I was looking in completely the wrong place, too high and im not sure why but i was feeling on the right and found them on the left !! Anyways very relieved sounds a bit wishywashy still but 134, thats definately not me !!!!! YAY :dance: :cheer: :dance: :cheer:

Hehe nope, thats not you, thats your LO :) So glad you found it finally :cheer: Don't forget, baby will move around a lot so where you heard it the first time, you might not the next. So keep trying from down low working up and across and you'll find it again now you know what you are listening for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back