Does it hurt more to be induced???

sarahk

Reaction score
I was told that when you are induced the pain can be more intense than if you were to go into labour naturally - has anyone got any info/advice on this?

It can be more intense and painful, particularly if you have the sintocinon (sp?) drip as it very suddenly gives you strong, regular contractions and you miss out on the more gentle build up contractions.

I was induced for my LO - I had a sweep which was unsuccessful followed 2 days later (at term +2) with a prostin pessary. This is a small plastic disc that they place next to your cervix. It releases hormones to soften ytour cervix over a 24hr period from that your body may then start to go into labour. It worked for me and I was having strong regular contractions within 9 hours and gave birth to my daughter within 16 hrs of the pessary being put in place. I didn't find the contractions too intense as I'd had the gentle build up and by the time I *needed* gas and air for the pain, I was already fully dilated.

The prostin pessary does not always work though, hence the need for the sintocinon drip or having waters broken when you are 2-3cm. I have known 2 girls- one 2 weeks over and one 3 weeks early be induced and need 3 doses of the prostin pessary (or gel), both ended up with assisted deliveries (c-section or forceps). There seems to be a higher incidence of intervention if you are induced.

I hope this has answered your question in a rambling kind of way!

I think Flowergirl summed up my understanding of induction.

I talked to some friends, did lots of reading on it and basically it would appear it is often more unpleasant as you don't have time to build up a pain tolerance to the early contractions as you tend to go straight in to the bigger ones. You also don't get the (usually) more gradual build up of dilation (esp in first babies), so your body has to deal with everything in one go. Hence people often finding it painful.

Also as has been mentioned, induction is more likely to lead to other medical intervention of some sort than if you go into labour naturally. Why this is is open for debate (and research). Some think its because induction usually causes more women to opt for strong pain relief (an epi) which can cause things to alter and therefore then might require forceps or some such etc.

There is also the debate as to if induction causes stress to the baby as its not actually ready to make an appearance. You are likely to be monitored when induced and therefore babys reactions can/will contribute toward what the Doctor does medically with regards to your labour. Of course if LO isn't ready its bound to change how they might react in labour when its brought on so quickly. This goes into possible medical intervention again then.

I personally am not in favour of it for myself unless there is a strong medical reason for it. Either the health of my baby or myself at risk. Otherwise I hope to go into labour naturally, even if it means I run 2 weeks past my 40. I have been asked to see my Consultant at 40+10 to discuss induction but I am hoping to be left to 40+14 if all is well. Every woman is different and what she chooses to do is totally her own choice. No one *has* to have an induction. Up to 42 weeks is considered within the time frame to go into labour naturally, but for some reason many hospitals don't wait till then but induce a fair few days sooner. Some women prefer to be induced rather than wait those extra days, some don't. Each to their own :)

Of course, I hope I don't need to make that appointment :lol:

Its interesting reading if you look in to it. Lots of reports, studies etc out there on it. I also discussed at length with my MW about it.

Have a read at my birth story in New Arrivals - that was my experience of induction. Pretty hellish. I would only do it again if it was medically necessary (it was in my case because my waters went and days later nothing had happened).

With the syntocinon drip there is no build up and I was monitored constantly so I couldn't move around. To sum it up in my experience... it sucked.

It is more intense due to the sudden rush of constant contractions. If I end up being induced again I will have an epidural straight away. I found it hard to cope with going from very small contractions to huge constant ones!

god i hope i dont need to be induced :shock:

BeckyJ said:
god i hope i dont need to be induced :shock:

Awwww :hug: :hug:

Think positive, relax and trust your body and your instincts is my approach :) There is plenty of time once past the 40 week due date to go into labour naturally :) You can also decline an induction and have them monitor you and baby once well overdue should you wish :) If all is well you can carry on and wait for natural labour to begin. It really just comes down to personal choice and what you feel comfortable doing. Its not for everyone and I must admit, I am ready now but will carry those 2 weeks over if LO does not arrive before then.

OMG - doesnt sound too nice!!!

I have to be induced because of my Cholestasis, they believe its best to get baby out.

I'm pretty worried about the pain, ive heard its pretty nasty - but I guess any kind of labour isnt pain free!!!

I'm excited, scared and dont quite know what to do with myself.

I'm being induced Tues next week. I'll be 37 + 2 days!!

If your cervix is favourable hun then the chances are the gel or pessary will get you going enough so they can break your waters. It's only the drip that makes it so intense. You'll be fine hun :D

its great your gettign to 37 weeks !

and if u havent been in labour before then u dont know any different , its just hard cos there;s no build up what so ever ! i went from no contraction to 3 min apart within 5 mins ! then within an hour there were 1 min apart but only 4 hours later i was pushing when some girls can be in labour pain for days !

goood luck next tues !

I was induced with Arianna, so can't compare to a natural birth.

I was induced with the drip and tbh the labour didnt hurt as much as I Thought it would - the worst pain for me was delivering the placenta.

You'll cope fine if you need to be induced!!

Yes i'm chuffed I got to 37 weeks, although for a moment I thought the medication was doing the trick and they would let me go further. But Docs told me last week they had to book me in.

Tuesday will be D day!!! Cant wait, excited about experiencing it, but obviously sooooo scared about what the pain will be like. eeeekkk x

I was induced with my third baby and it was fine. They started off with a very low dose and gradully built it up. It was no better or worse than my other two births..... :D

I was induced with my first as my waters broke at 34 + 2, they induced me at 35 weeks. I had the syntocin drip and for me the build up was very gradual.

They had to keep upping the syntocin levels. I only started to feel pain after 12 hours of being on the drip! The worst my labour pains got was very bad period pain.

I had pethidine and gas and air and used the tens machine until quite late on.

The worst pain I had was the recovery afterwards.

Good luck with your birth.

with my ten year old brother, my moms waters broke, but her labour didn't really kick in.

She was on the labour ward. They were going to leave her 12 hours more in there to see if it started again. She argued so they did it at 12.

She had the drip. She told me today it was the best of her labours. It was six hours from when the drip started. She said she got to the real pain faster, but found it fine.

When I went into labour with my first, things were progressing really slowly! I got my first contractions at 8.30 am on 20th July, by 9.30am 21st July they broke my waters and gave me the drip to speed up the contraction and hopefully the birth!
Well yeh, they sped up the contractions! Very intense and almost constant! I evertually gave birth at 3.45PM! I was exhausted!
I dont want the drip again! Hopefully pip will come all by her/himself!! :D :cheer:

I went into labour spontaneously, however, I needed the drip at 6cm to speed up the contractions. I don't know if it hurt because I asked for an epidural before they gave me the drip as I heard the drip made things pretty intense. The epi was magic and I had no idea I was having back to back contractions (ie, no break between them) the nurse just told me I was, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back