• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

does anyone worry like me?

Kimbo

Reaction score
leahs been on solids for a while now, mostly mashed up food, and i know they can have finger food now, (shes 7 months) but i cant stop worrying. a few weeks ago she had a chip, bit a chunk off and swallowed without chewing it and started choking.
i panicked and grabbed her and did the choking baby thing, and she was ok... but since then shes not had any finger foods at all.. im too scared. not even soft food like cooked soft carrot because i panic that shhe's going to breathe it back and choke again. so shes just been having mash for 2 week :rotfl:
shes no teeth proper yet, so thats what worries me :?
weve just been pizza hut with gazz, libby & becky, and libby was having pieces of pizza but i sh!t myself when gazz gave leah a little piece.. so i broke off tiny tiny tiny pieces, smaller than a pin head, and gave her those to eat instead!
help me relax!

yep i do so i just give jack finger foods that turn too mush when he eats them!!!

it's perfectly normal to worry hun. Having no teeth will make little if any difference at all. leela has no teeth and eats everything i give her - and i give her anything lol. Babies have a gag reflex and it may be that she wasn't quite ready for a lump of food then but that shouldn't put you off as they all have to learn nd start somewhere. the mash is good, so how about making it slightly more lumps and see how she does?

yeah a simuler thing happened to hannah when she was 7 months. (it was a baby biskit thing) And i never gqave her one again! lol - 7 months its still young for 'propper' solids - so dont worry as she gets older, gets more teeth and just has better hand/eye/chewing co-ordination it gets alot easier.

tbh Hannah only started having things like chips and harder items at about 11-12 months - she was much better at it then equeling in me being less worried.

It does become alot less stressfull as they get older (tho i still have my moments!)

I went through all that with William, it's horrible but they get the hang of it eventually. I saw a gadget somewhere, i think it's some sort of mesh bag to put the food in. Baby can chomp away without the risk of choking. Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about and provide a link. x

I think it's natural to worry but try and be patient with her. I have a friend who on sunday at her birthday party actually panicked trying to lift her baby out of high chair when she was still strapped in to delve into her mouth to rip a curly fry as she was 'choking' - I unstrapped her and could see she was happily chewing it... the baby is a 1 yr old :shock: She has lost weight over the past couple of months as she won't eat but really it's because her mam won't let her eat. Anyway not saying thats going to be you but do try and let her have finger foods, they need to learn the gagging reflex to allow them to eat proper solids. I tell you some great ons I found.. Organix carrot sticks. You get em from boots and tesco, probanbly other places too. They are like big giant wotsits and melt in the babies mouths as soon as they start chewing so it gets them used to feeding themselves but you can relax a little. They do a few other bits similar too. Hope you and Leah are ok hun. Don't get on much now but will have to arrange to meet in leeds once i'm back from my holss if you want xxx

I would be worried too if Dan was having pizza and chips at 7 months. I don't think I started Dan on finger foods until he was about 8 months as I was scared of his gag reflex. My HV even said I was holding him back by withholding finger foods, but I was too scared if he choked :oops:. I think its nautral to worry hun.
I agree with sweetcheeks Organix carrot sticks are great. Also they have no added salt, fat, sugars, numbers etc :D I also found the organic rice cakes really good and helped with his gag reflex. TBH I think its hard not worry at this stage :hug:

thanks for the replies..

i went through all that with William, it's horrible but they get the hang of it eventually. I saw a gadget somewhere, i think it's some sort of mesh bag to put the food in. Baby can chomp away without the risk of choking. Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about and provide a link. x
I went through all that with William, it's horrible but they get the hang of it eventually. I saw a gadget somewhere, i think it's some sort of mesh bag to put the food in. Baby can chomp away without the risk of choking. Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about and provide a link. x
yeah i have one of those, munchkin feeders they're called, but everthing ends up a soggy mess when she has that and nothing ends up getting in her mouth!
Organix carrot sticks. You get em from boots and tesco, probanbly other places too. They are like big giant wotsits and melt in the babies mouths

yeah she has those, and the puff things too, shes ok with them as they melt, but i wanted to give her finger foods such as sandwiches etc... we used to give her toast but im too scared to now!

I would be worried too if Dan was having pizza and chips at 7 months

she doesnt always have chips... we were having chips for tea one night, and they were soft oven cooked crinkle chips so they were very soft and had no sharp bits so i thought she'd be ok to nibble on one while we were eating because if not she just grabs something anyway..
and with it being soft and soggy i thought she'd be ok.

its anything im too scared to give her now.. i used to cook carrots so they were really soft and she could pick them up and eat them herself, but still cant stop worrying!
they looked at me a bit stupid last night when i broke off tiny tiny pieces of pizza base for her to nibble on! as if to say "just let her do it herself!"

babies have a great gag reflex. The thinking behind BLW is that if a baby isn't developmentally ready to swallow then they can't move the food back to the back of their mouth. I am a bit blase I guess as I am used to giving only finger foods but you just have to trust them. I would start again at the beginning with things like chunks of banana and very ripepear etc, then perhaps some well steamed veg (brocolli is great as it mushes up when they suck on it, and it has the stalk that is like a handle). Then move onto things like sandwiches and pizza (so easy to make your own and you can make the base thicker so it is more doughy), pitta fingers (half a pitta bread so it makes a pocket, add cheese, chopped tomato etc and toast, then cool and cut into fingers), cooked pasta etc and just let her suck on them and explore them.

I know its hard but getting stressed about it will mean Leah will pick upon it. Perhaps someone else could give her the finger foods??

Kimbo said:
I would be worried too if Dan was having pizza and chips at 7 months

she doesnt always have chips... we were having chips for tea one night, and they were soft oven cooked crinkle chips so they were very soft and had no sharp bits so i thought she'd be ok to nibble on one while we were eating because if not she just grabs something anyway..
and with it being soft and soggy i thought she'd be ok.

its anything im too scared to give her now.. i used to cook carrots so they were really soft and she could pick them up and eat them herself, but still cant stop worrying!
they looked at me a bit stupid last night when i broke off tiny tiny pieces of pizza base for her to nibble on! as if to say "just let her do it herself!"

I didn't mean it like that hun. It's up to you what you feed Leah :hug: :hug:
I meant with something as crispy as chips and pizza can be as I was always scared of finger foods too. I still am to a point! I know I was holding him back but I was scared in case something happened as I was by myself. I started off by only giving him them when my OH was around! Even now I break his food up in small bits, my OH is always having at go about it! :lol: Tbh though for all my worry it was ok. As beanie says babies have great gag reflex. Doesn't stop you worrying though! :lol:
Have you tried bread maybe? Dan loves a soft roll, its good as well as it melts in his mouth.
I also tried (as recommended by my HV) a cheese triangle. Check for salt content etc, but it helped Dan to begin with.

I'm going to go straight to family foods and yep - I worry my ar*e off! I'm going to use one of these:
http://www.babysafefeeder.com/

Hopefully I'll start to relax naturally and wean myself off her using it (it'd look silly with her school dinner packed in a net sock!!).

I still worry and the only finger foods that we are giving at the moment is the Organics Finger Foods range. I usually buy the tomato, sweetcorn and carrot and we haven't had a problem so far. He really likes them and I feel it is beginging to increase my confidence with the finger foods again. xxx

abigail did exactly the sdame thing this mornin with sum banana and it took me ages to get it back up i panicked big time so im not givin her solids til she is ready, just gunna try and slowly introduce some soft finger foods :D

:hug: :hug: :hug: Lily has always been fine on finger foods, my mum is the jumpy one :rotfl: She gags sometimes but its normally just moving the food into a better place of its too big. She doesnt have any teeth either so I dont know how she does it! Jut start of slowly and get your confidence back. :hug:

awhh sweetyy...

toast is a great starter.. i put bread in the toaster then let it go cold.. and then put a little bit of butter on... he mouthed it around till little crumbs disintigrated into his mouth.. dont worry aobut her not haivng teeth.. their gums are hard as hell.. and they should be at the stage now where they can manage to 'chew' food a bit..ted will ahve a cheese spread sarny... those carrot crispy thingys.. baby bikkies... banana, cheese (1st time he has it today - he had 2 bites then threw it on the floor) he has had pizza.. chips, fish fingers.. cucumber, orange segment, cant think of anythign right now.. he gags and does a cough some times... its jsut one of those things you have to let them do.. they have to learn to chew.. as long as she cant break massive bits off (like a banana) 1st off.. she needs stuff that can break down/melt easily :D xxxx

ooooo my mum brought these baby rice cakes home... Lil miss still gags on anything slightly big, tried some pear the other day and :puke: it all came back up.... but these ....OMG she loves them...she sucks on them and they just turn into moosh... mind it then turns into cement when its been mooshified then left on the playmat :roll: When my mum went over to the UK last week I got her to bring me loads home... They are brilliant but you can't get them here..

Finely sliced cheese in little bits is a winner too.. . :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back