advice on stage 2 of weaning please?

rach

Reaction score
hi all :wave:
right we are currently trying to move christopher onto stage 2 of weaning we have got him from pureed to finely mashed but really struggling to get him to eat lumps :( he seems to choke and spit up any lumps in his food yesterday i tried to give him stew which id mashed roughly so there was little lumps in it and he just kept spitting it out in the end i had to mash it with a spoon to get the lumps out so he would eat it
the only finger foods hes had so far is the organix carrot stix which he sucks mainly
ive also bought some of the organix apple rice cake things but they seem so hard im afraid to give them to him yet
im trying to do it gradually as i have a real bad phobia of choking after watching my sister choke when i was younger it terrifies me
any advice on getting him to eat lumpy food would be really appreciated i do keep trying but dont seem to be getting anywhere :(
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Rach I was the same, really scared to give Dan finger foods. But my HV told me off and made me do it!! :wink: Have you tried bread and a little bit of butter? That what I first started Dan on along with those carrot sticks and the rice cakes, which honestly Dan had no trouble with. They melt really well too!
I also had trouble getting him to eat foods with bits. I ended up puree alot of it. I've no advice hun, but I just kept giving it to him and eventually he would eat it. I found that he started to eat it when I introduced more finger foods.

Rach my DS was exactly the same until very recently, he's still funny now (I made him cauliflower cheese with pasta for lunch but had to give half lumpy and half puree so it wasn't all lumps, otherwise he was just refusing it). He's just started getting better with finger foods and now I encourage him to have some at each meal time, for instance last night he had carrot and parsnip batons, he has toast in the mornings and during the day he's been having rice cakes, biscottis, bread sticks, celery (he loves it cold from the fridge to help with teething), bits of bread, strips of pear etc. As he's getting more confident with the finger foods I'm noticing a big difference with how he reacts to lumpy foods. Things he would have refused last week he's scoffing.
Good luck hon!

i agree with the above. when i started giving luke my homemade lumpy food he kept spitting it out but i think i was making it too lumpy as when i bought a stage 2 jar of food one day he was much more sloppy consistency almost like a puree with a few lumps in it, now i realise i was trying to force him too quickly and now tend to blend his food still rather than mash but not into a puree asuch just to a lumpier consistency, ensuring its got a good bit of runny stuff to help it all go down.

finger foods he has enjoyed are: toast and butter triangles, rice cakes with philidelphia/dairylea, those carrot sticks, now also breadsticks, sticks of cucumber, pieces of banana. heinz biscotti biscuits are currently a fave!

good luck rach x x

I've been lucky with Nathan cos he just eats anything but when I first started him with lumps I gave him pasta, spag bol, macaroni cheese ect. Worked great with us.

thanks everyone for your replies and advice we are getting there gradually i bought a couple of the hip organic jars to find out the consistency and i was making it too thick hes eating much better now and not too much choking will try and introduce more finger foods this week and see how we go ive not given him bread yet will try that next xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back