doc diagnosed "weak pregnancy"... can anyone help

Lucyhopefull

Reaction score
Hi ,

My name's Lucy and I would be really really grateful if any one out there could give me any advice as am very worried!!

I recently found out I was pregnant, via a home test last week and have been overjoyed at the news (I've figured that I'm about 51/2 weeks at the moment). However, I went to my GP this morning to confirm the pregnancy and to check that the symptons i've been having are normal - I've had back ache, mild cramps, and a bad cold- but the test she took only had a faint line on it where as my own tests were both fully posisitve. She had a chart with her and compared the results and said that it was either a 'faint negagtive' or a 'weak positive pregnancy'??? and that i need to go to st Mary's hosptal for a scan on friday. I'm now worried that the cramps etc may be a sign that all is not well - but then I haven't had any bleeding.

Has anyone else had thia experience this before?

Must say, the doc was not very reassuring and now feel very concerned and confused. I still have the back ache etc but am worried that somehow i may no longer be pregnant.

Would appreciate any comments or advice!!

Hi :hug: sounds like your doctors not been very helpful, i have to admit they were the same with me, i had crams and the nurse told me i was probably havign an early miscarriage, but from coming on here and reading about it cramos are a common early sign and i was shocked she hadnt even mentioned that.

I was also told that thetest i was doing at home were the same ones they do at the surgery. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait until your scan and see. However, if your getting your bfp, and have not had any bad pain or bleeding everything sounds good.

Good luck

hi Clare ,

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply - and so quickly! I've been feeling really alone and worried and it's lovely to hear from someone else. I think doctors are so familiar with prgnancys that they can forget how scary it can be for someone the first time around. It's good to know that other peole have had cramps too and that its common! Thanks so much. will keep you posted!

xx :) :)

In my opinion your doctor is just mean!!!

I was TTC for months and one thing we learned is that a line on a pg test (no matter how faint or strong) means that your body is producing HGC and you are therefore pregnant :cheer:

There are two types of test really....ones that tests HCG to a level of 25mui and others that are more sesitive and test to 10mui. In theory if your levels are say 27mui then you'll have weaker lines on the 25mui ones and stronger on the more sensitives ones so this could be what's happening.

As for the cramps.... I have had cramps since the day I found out I was pg. For the first couple of weeks I was convinced that my period was coming because they felt so much like my normal period cramps. What you have to remember is that you body is making some major changes now to accomodate your soon be expanding uterus and all the muscles and ligaments soften and move around which is why loads of women get cramps and twinges throughout thier pregnancy. The hormones you produce when you're pregnant actually do the job of softening your muscles and ligaments. I feel more worried now if I don't get a twinge or a cramp of some sort most days because in my head it's meaning my body has stopped changing... :rotfl:

Bleeding is quite common too. I had a bleed at 6+5 and had to go for a scan but luckily everything was fine. The nurses at the EPAU told me that unless you've got heavy bleeding which has usually got some clots in it accompanied with pain then the chances you're having a MC are quite low. They did say that they've seen women who've bled really heavily throughout thier pg's and the baby has still been born healthy so you shouldn't worry too much about it.

If I was you I would just take it easy....just in case....and wait to see your first scan of the little bean in a few days. If you're not in too much pain or bleeding heavily they you have a good chance that you and your bean are both doing well.

good luck

c
xx :hug:

I had something slightly similar, when I had my first app (was with a private docs) he did a test which was very faint and also seemed to be very unassuring and suggested that my pregnancy wasn't healthy because it wasn't a strong result.

He was wrong and there quite obviously (according to the kicks and size of my belly and scans) is a healthy baby in there. It turned out I was a little less pregnant than I originally thought though- 4 weeks instead of 6. When I saw another doctor- this time at my normal surgery they didn't even carry out a test to confirm it jst said congrats and told me to wait for an appointment with the MW.

I really hope all is ok with you. PM me if you need to know anymore about what happened in my case.

Alex xxx

I don't really have any advice but didn't want to not reply so sending you lots of these instead :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you sooo much to everybody. really, you have helped no ends to put my mind at ease :) :) I just did another test and it IS positive.. but am going to take your advice and take things easy until the scan on Friday. So lovely to see so many mummies-to-be. I still can't believe I'm actualy pregnant ... it seems such a magical thing that happens. Anyway, lots of luck and love to you all. Will post up what the scan says if you're interested.

Thanks again! xxx

good girl. Make you make the most of having an excuse to do nothing for the next few days and make sure you let us know how you go on at your scan

:hug:

Doctors can be really insensitive in early pregnancy. When my sister told her doctor she was pregnant she was told 'well don't get too excited because a lot can go wrong'!!!

I also had cramps in early pregnancy - I didn't realise I was pregnant at the time but looking back they were an early symptom. I really hope everything's well with your bubba. Let us know how it goes tomorrow :hug:

I totally echo the above. My GP even said the reason they don't test is because the tests they use aren't even as accurate as the ones you can buy in the shops. All the best for tomorrow :hug:

Thanks everyone for all of your advice :angel: fingers crossed for tom. This site is great - I can see it can become addictive if i'm not careful!
It's amazing what sharing your concerns with others can do. Thanks to all of you for all of your input. Its really helped me so much :) (.... btw am having an overly gushy morning today... burst into tears when they were playing 'brght eyes' on a cheesy radio station the workmen had on outside! oh the joys of hormones..)

Hey what time is your scan? I have a scan tomorrow!! :D
Im sure everything will be just fine with you!!
I had cramps alot ! they stopped about a week ago or less even! Im not totally sure how far along Iam until tomorrow but thats pretty normal!
Good luck tomorrow!!:D :dance:

Hey Lucy!!
How did it go?? i hope everything went well!!

Hello!

Had a scan this morning and it went well in as much as i am DEF pregnant :cheer: However, there was no sign of a heart beat yet but Doc said prob too early to tell so have to go for another one next Thursday, but they told me to try not to worry as they think i'm only 5 1/2 weeks. I'm so thrilled...just hoping that it's going to be ok.

Lea, how was your scan?

Please don't take her word as gospel. In my pregnancy I had TONNES of cramps often like p pains, back aches so please know this are very common and can often be quite scary... I had these even after scans.

never heard of a test and comparasion chart either
, easier said then done but try not to worry,

Oh that is great news Lucy!! :D
My scan went well! I posted about it somewhere in this forum lol
Did you get a pic lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads