Do you/Will you use talc on your baby?

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
I'm just interested to see how many of you use it on your LO's. I use it on Jake because it keeps all of his little creases dry and stops him getting sore. I have heard some people say not to use it though because it can damage LO's lungs. I personally can't see it doing any harm if you use it sparingly and don't put the powder too close to their face. I know that my Mum has used it on all of her children and none of us have lung problems. I must admit that I love the smell of it too :D

i wouldnt because i read it had been linked to cancer in girls

mary70 said:
i wouldnt because i read it had been linked to cancer in girls

Hi Mary where did you read that? How do they think it can cause cancer and why only girls? Just out of interest :D

Talcum powder 'poses cancer risk to women'

Research shows that women who use talc have a 17 per cent higher risk of getting the cancer. Researchers say using a small amount of talc in the pelvic area may lead to it reaching the ovaries and increasing the risk of the most common gynaecological cancer in the UK, with more than 4,000 deaths a year.

In the research, published in the International Journal of Cancer this week, data on more than 3,000 women was compared. "We confirmed a statistically significant increase in ovarian cancer risk associated with use of talc in the pelvic region," say the researchers, who are from hospitals and centres taking part in the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group.

ohhh if its not one thing its another! i used/use talc on all of mine and they are fine, no lung probs or anything like that, if they are so concerned they would have took it off the shelf by now dont you think?

well its like anything else isnt it you do what you want with your own child, i wouldnt use it on mine and that was the question

This piece of writing is taken from www.cancerhelp.org.uk

Using talcum powder
Some doctors think using talcum powder between your legs could slightly increase the risk of ovarian cancer, although this has never been proved. The powder could, in theory, travel up into the vagina and then through the cervix into the womb. If it then worked its way down the fallopian tubes to the ovaries, it could get into the ovaries themselves and cause irritation. Constant irritation could potentially cause inflammation and lead to cancerous changes in cells.

Researchers have recently carried out a 'meta-analysis' of 16 studies of talc and ovarian cancer risk. This means they combine all the information from the studies and look at the results together. Although the combined results showed that there could be a small increased risk if you use talc, they decided that this was probably a blip because the risk didn't increase with the more talc you used.

No I dont use it s my kids have ezecma and I use camomille gel on mine instead.

mary70 said:
well its like anything else isnt it you do what you want with your own child, i wouldnt use it on mine and that was the question

I wasnt having a go, i was just saying that "they" have a go at everything nowadays.

xrachx said:
ohhh if its not one thing its another! i used/use talc on all of mine and they are fine, no lung probs or anything like that, if they are so concerned they would have took it off the shelf by now dont you think?

Totally agree,
I have used talc on harrison ( and lots of it ) i will use it on this baby and i also use it myself after i get out of the bath.
I love the smell of it on babies and how it keeps them nice and dry.

Studies are always saying we shouldn't use one thing or another........

i use talc on jayde and i want stop my mum used to use it on us and its not done us any harm, i especially like using it when ive took her swimming :D

i use it. she loves it, i love it and she has great skin! :D

i have to be careful because of the gastrostomy button sticking out of her tummy (MUST not let it get in there) and chronic lung disease so i rub it into my hands first and then massage it onto her very carefully.

she enjoys the process and any lotions leave her feeling yukky and she gets uncomfortable and oily.

i don't use it as i read about the risk of damage to his lungs

I only use it on Nathan and only on his bum and bits. I don't like the way if you use a lot you end up in a cloud of it breathing it.

i put it on melissa's bum at nite to keep dry before i put barrier cream on and to stop her nappy rubbing. the towel on her changing mat usually gets a talcy patch and once she yanked it off and got a faceful of talc! :(

natalie&jake said:
No, but I do use it on my hair when its looking a bit manky :oops: :rotfl:

:rotfl: ditto if Im off to work and have onlu had time for a quick shower and not to wash the hair - no one ever notices......except me mum - all my collegues prob think I just have bad dandruff!! :rotfl:

Oh and yes I use it on oran

No don't use on Jude, read it was harmful if inhaled so never bothered. To be honest, don't think he really needs it anyhow.

I've never used talc on Thea but its mainly because i personally hate the stuff, i always have i used to scream when my mam used it on me as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back