Do people's opinion affect your view?

Mrsbee

Reaction score
So me and hubby have a few names we really like but I think we're going for Archie for a boy and Eden for a girl. My grandad always said he'd come back as a Robin when he died as my grandm loves them. Long story short I very much believe that he did just that, several reasons why.

Anyway me and hubby thought it would be nice to incorporate that into babies name. So maybe their middle name. I told my mother in law about it and she just pulled this face like I dunno but it wasn't a "yeah that's nice" kinda face. This is the same woman who when I said "I think it's a boy" her first and only statement was "I hope not I want a granddaughter". To be honest she says before she thinks, but I know what she's like. She'd go round saying "I hate the name" to all our family members. She's a very nice lady most of the time but bloody mean and manipulative most other times.

Anyway my point is, I'm now thinking maybe not then. But then why I should change my mind because she doesn't agree?

At the end of the day, it's you and your partners decision.

My mum screws up her face at some of our suggestions, and it makes me more inclined to pick them!

If you want to include your grandad then you bash on.

I think if someone says something that really ruins it for you then I would be put off it

I'm not pregnant but we were at a friends house having cheese and biscuits and my husband made a joke saying ''Everybody loves a bit of Brie.... whey'' I said oh I used to like that as a name but now you say that... then our other friend said ''Brie Brie smells like wee'' both those statements have now stuck in my head and it's put me off it.

However, noone like my sons name. But I loved it and noone said anything that actually put me off it, so I went with it and now he's here most people say they love the name.

I wouldn't let her put you off, I think it's a lovely name and even more special with your reasons behind it :)

Other people's opinions did affect me last time, so we're keeping names to ourselves this time.

We named our son Jacob, he's only ever been Jake, but my MIL made a shitty comment about how when he's older he'd need a "proper" name (which apparently Jake wasn't) and he'd be pleased of a proper one. To this day, I'm irritated that I let it affect my decision, because he isn't Jacob at all, he's Jake! So I don't want to know their opinion at all this time!!!

My mum didnt love Jackson, but she says now she couldnt imagine anything else.

Imo if your MIL is saying to family members or whoever that she dislikes the name and anything about it she will come out that one looking in the wrong. What grandma would slag off their grandchilds name? Poor show if she did. Especially since its a lovely reasoning behind the name.

Personally I dont take other peoples views into consideration naming my child. Theyr not the ones needing to call it for 18+ years, theyr not the ones that need to stand at the drs when your childs name is called.

Dont get why people get so involved.

xxxx

Only my husbands view really. I do care about my mums opinion too, but only to the extend if she REALLY dislikes a name, if she is indifferent or a bit 'meh' then that doesn't/didn't bother me. My baby girls name was one she wanted to use but my dads surname didn't suit it, so didn't even need to ask her about that one.

I think you should stick to your guns :)

Thanks ladies, we both love the name me and hubby, so sod her. She does say rather stupid things and if she did ever say negative things about our child she'd get the full maternal force of mamma bear lol xxx

It's a lovely name and a very nice story behind it so sod what she thinks. I agree if she was to tell someone she didn't like it then it looks bad on her! X

My family hate the name we are leaning towards if we have a little boy, but we really like it and I'm sure they will too when it's their grandson's / nephew's name, so we're not letting it put us off xx

Yeah, I hope so. I hope I'm just being overly mean and maybe she wouldn't. But I live with her so unfortunately I know her too well haha. Arrr well it's our baby at the end of the day. Thanks ladies xxx

Unicorn me and hubby have been bickering over the girls names and we've both decided we love Dotty. I like Eden but it's not my favourite choice and it was the only one we agreed on until now. No one likes it though haha, but I feel the same my parents will love her so the name will grow on them xxx

Oh my god Eden is in my top 3 names! Such a gorgeous name isn't it - I don't give a crap what other people think, you name your baby whatever you wish to name him or her, we have one boy name and 3 girl names that we love and people already have an opinion on them but I don't care!

Honestly, I cant stand it when people have an opinion on names, what if they chose "crap" names! just stick to what you like and want, no one is going to have to worry about your baby's name, a subject that winds me up in case you hadn't noticed lol xx

No definately not in fact if anything if peopld have an opinion ig makes me even more determined to do wat i want lol it makes me even more stubborn than i am already

You and hubby do wat u want hun i think ur names are lovely btw xx

Sometimes other people not liking something makes me like it more!

My mum didn't like my eldests name at first and now always goes on about how lovely it is.

Nobody was 100% on 2nd or 3rd names either but always say how nice they are now.

I try not to tell people of names in advance...I don't care if they like it or not!

Do what you want to do x

Thank you all ladies! You ladies always make me see sense haha. I did say to my mum I was disappointed she didn't like the name "dotty" but even she said its our decision and that she would come round to it. I don't know we're very much decided on the boy's name but the girls we can't decide haha xxx

Your name choices are lovely! And you'll know as soon as you meet your little cherub what name best fits. I don't tell family or friends my name choices as I don't want to hear or see their reaction :lol: I love unusual names so it's a cert that someone will say something negative :lol: They aren't far out there names, just ones that are different from what the popular names are where we live. I'm finding boy names pretty hard to decide on. My first born's Dad named him Luke after Skywalker in Starwars and I chose my LG's name Avery from a TV series called 30 Rock and her middle name is Rose, so sometimes she gets Avery Rose if she's being a terror :lol: This time around I'm having a boy again and I'm finding it soooo hard and I've only just about over a week to go to my EDD! x

Last edited:
Awww babysmomma, they are lovely names. I absolutely love Avery Rose that's so pretty. Like you I like fairly unusual names, although Archie isn't that unusual but I love it. I think like the other ladies if it's a girl her name will grow on people. And the more I read your lovely ladies responses the less I care about what others think.

People's view shouldn't affect you. It's your choice. Each person has got his own opinion, based on his personal preferences. Choose what you like.

Hands up, I've done it! My friend mentioned she had decided on a name but the name Montserrat was a close second. I used to live with a girl called that, she shortened it to Montse which is nice but because she was such an awful person , we called her Monster Rat behind her back. Very immature but she was awful so I have less guilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back