Do I tell Midwife about private scan?

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
I'm seeing her for the first time in the morning and I'll be 11W6D. If we didn't pay for a scan I'd have gone more or less my whole Tri1 with no so much as a reassuring conversation let alone a blood test or referral for my scan from the NHS. I now don't want to get bumped down the list because we've had to pay for a scan - we didn't really get much info re baby/my health at the scan either, as they're not Doctors, just sonographers. What do you think? Part of me thinks they should be running around a bit for me now - I pay my taxes and have had lowsy treatment so far.
Thoughts? X

Ask her how long until your scan and if she gives you a date first? I don't know, maybe then you can say if you want? No harm in not telling her. That's pretty disappointing that you've been on your own so far. The first tri is such a big thing for any woman to go through. Your wee poppy seed is so cute Jen :) Hope tomorrow goes well hun.xxxx

With my first pregnancy I didn't see anyone, after the Dr referred me, until my 12 week scan, where I turned out to be over 13 weeks. It's dreadful how much treatment varies from place to place.
I wouldn't have thought your private scan would make any difference to having the NHS scan as they have an obligation to check everything out (as you say the private scan isn't for this, more for reassurance). When is you NHS scan?
If it was me I wouldn't mention it, and if you haven't got a date for your scan yet I'd be going to town about the fact you haven't had a date yet etc etc etc. Hope everything gets sorted tomorrow and you get your scan soon. x

Hi girls, I don't have a date for my NHS scan, after I see midwife tomorrow, she refers me for it so it'll prob be another couple of weeks.
I might see if it comes up like you say, otherwise not volunteer the info and see if that speeds up my blood tests etc, scan etc x

Its up to you hun, but im sure i have read on here, someone warning us not to tell midwife's about private scans... but not sure why, i presume its the fact that you have had a scan and that you dont need another one, just to save money on the NHS.. but not 100% ... but i cant see them refusing you the dating scan... good luck for tomorrow, hopefully she gives you a scan date for in the week!! :) xx

It's up to you really but possibly wouldn't mention it unless it comes up.

Not seeing a midwife until after 10 weeks isnt an unusual thing, and not sure what you expect from them reassuarnce wise. They don't check to see if you're pregnant, and as they can't get a heartbeat with a doppler at that stage then all they can do is take some bloods which is to check your blood group and whether you are rhesus positive or negative and if you are happy to go ahead, blood will also be taken to screen for:
• your haemoglobin level
• abnormalities of the red blood cells
• your immunity to German measles
• whether you have syphilis or hepatitis B
• whether you have HIV/AIDS

But 11 + 6 does seem late for your first appointment, I know that I'd be wanting my appointment sooner. I'd also not be too impressed with not having a date for my 12 week scan yet though and would really hope to be having it within 2 weeks of seeing the midwife.

I'm curious to to know why you didn't get a lot of info when you went for your private scan. With the NHS scan it will be a sonographer doing it, who can probably tell you equally as much if not more than a doctor about the health of the fetus as they are trained in sonography. If the sonographer sees a problem then they'll get a doctor involved otherwise you may not see a doctor throuought your pregnancy.
Also when did you get your private scan? And what did you get for your money if they didnt tell you much about the health of the baby?

hope you have a good appointment tomorrow and you get your scan date through really soon. xxx

Last edited:
Well it's my first pregnancy so reassurance wise I would like to know if what I'm experiencing is normal ie I went to Docs (because no midwife) as I thought (& still think) I'm anaemic. Docs won't do anything and say wait for midwife. I could need extra iron but I dont know, my blood could be rhesus negative, but i dont know. There are tests that I haven't had & may be too late to have. I don't know anything. I also don't know anyone on here who has waited this long for a midwife. Loads of girls have had their scan dates for weeks.
I've waited and I have done for nearly 6 weeks. Tri1 has been terrifying and so many lovely people have miscarried, I think you should have as much or as little support as you need during these uncertain times as it's unknown territory.
My private scan told me there was one baby, how far I am and showed us heartbeart etc I need tests on the NHS to show anything else.

Do they do the nuchal scan on the NHS in your area? If so tell the MW you want it with the dating scan and she needs to fast track it as you need it done before 12 wks 6 days!!! Thats disgusting the mw hasn't seen you before, we get our booking in appointment at 8 weeks here

Saw the Midwife and she was lovely :) It didn't even come up about the private scan but because we've opted to have the nuchal screening we'll been seen before 13+6 for the NHS scan. Bloods booked in for 7 Feb and also looks like I can have baby in the birthing pool :) Only thing is our hospital won't tell us the sex of poppy seed and also in the unit where I have baby there is no epidural - don't really fancy that anyway so that suits me dandy :)
Am a happy girly & 12 weeks tomorrow! One more week of Tri1 :) x

I had my booking in appointment last monday and i was exactly 12 weeks.I doubt i will get a scan before im 14 weeks:roll:

I had a private scan with my last child and i was 10 weeks and i told my midwife and she said i didnt need another till i was 20 weeks so because i had private scan i didnt have my 12 week scan. Its up2 you some midwifes are different. xx

I think its awful it varies so much depending on where you live, we should all get the same treatment!!!

In my little village my docs have been great I went in the day after my BFP (Fri) and he did another test and confirmed it, then he made me book an appt for the following wed to see him again, when I had my 2nd appt I got a BIG pack of info etc and was told my midwifes name and my doc then got the surgery receptionists to book in my booking in appt with midwife for 10th Feb (which should put me somewhere at 8weeks).

So he kind of did everything for me, I guess I will see what happens on the 10th but so far they have been great. Mind you apparantly I have to have a consultant led pregnancy rather than the standard midwife one as I had a DVT and Pulmonary Embolism about 6 years ago so as pregnancy increases the risk of a DVT I will be more at risk of another one, so I have to have fragmin injections in the last trimester - NOT NICE!!!!!! Not sure what the difference is between consultant led and midwife led? I think its just some appts I might have to go to the hospital for instead of just seeing my local midwife?????

I was exactly the same, i was nearly 13 weeks when i got the letter for my scan and i was 14 weeks at the actual scan, this was the 1st time i saw a midwife aswell. It was horrible having to wait so long, i had 4 weeks notice with my sons first scan and i was exactly 12weeks when i got it. I know from my last pregnancy that i'll b lucky if i see the same midwife twice all pregnancy but the one i saw said they have up to 15weeks to give u a 1st scan. Im past 16weeks now and should b getting my bloods done for downs syndrome testing but suprise surprise the appointment hasnt come!!! The care in some places is shocking! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back