Do BF babies eventually sleep though the night?

Happybunny

Reaction score
I didn't think they did, I assumed I would be waking at least once through the night until I weaned April because her stomach would be too small to go a whole night without food. (Having said this, she can go for nearly 6 hours at night sometimes without waking) But I just read that BF babies can do a full night's sleep.

Q1: Is that true? If so from what age and how long is all night (7-7?)

Q2: Another quick question - Sometimes April appears to sleep REALLY well at night. She can sleep for hours without waking (A relief after the evenings we have with her). However, she is not sound asleep, sometimes she will wake me with chirping and crying in her sleep. I get up to see to her, but then she stops. She goes on like this for hours if I don't wake her. I assume she is trying to wake up because she is hungry but she is unable to rouse herself properly. (Does that sound daft? :? She is swaddled, so I thought that may affect her) Sometimes I will just leave her and she will not wake at all for 6 hours. But sometimes I feel really guilty and think she needs waking when she starts these noises.

Is it normal for her to do this, should I wake her to feed her or leave her alone until she is properly awake and doing the battle cry?

Hey HB!

My baby slept through for about 11/12 hours from 6 weeks old. She was and is always exclusively breastfed. She woke up once or twice a night from 4 months to 7 months and from 7 months has slept through again, up to 13 hours a night (touch wood it continues!).

I would just leave her if she's crying a little in her sleep. Mummies need to sleep too - take your chance! It really sounds like she's trying to get herself into a good sleeping routine overnight. She's probably dreaming and it won't do her any harm. I bet she lets you know when she's really hungry!

Valentine Xxx

Phoebe does the crying then sleeping thing too... I'm sure its just dreaming :hug: as she properly screams when she is hungry! (Every 2-3 hours still at the moment :wall: )

My little girl didn't sleep through until 8mnths :sleep:

There is hope for you though, my sis' little boy has slept through (9/10pm til 6/7am, wake for feed then another 2hours sleep, since 4weeks :cheer: )

Both were/ are exclusively BF. They are all different :D

My Joe didnt sleep well at all and he was bottle fed. Its not always the case that they sleep better.

Thanks for all your replies! I am quite encouraged!
I think my littlie may manage a whole night sooner or later, keeping my fingers crossed :pray:

I am really really happy tonight because we have had the best evening in about two weeks with her. We put her to sleep in a cool, dark room after her evening feed and she has slept through until just now when I actually woke her to give her a feed before bed. (Usually she is really fractious for the entire evening) She fed and has gone back to sleep straight away :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I have never had so much forum time since she was born!! Off to bed now though - might as well catch some :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: while I can! Yey!

My son slept through (7-8 hours) from being 3 or 4 days old, and is exlusively breastfed. Since being put in his own room he can sleep 11 hours straight :) so I think it depends more on the individual baby than how they're fed - Oliver's just lazy and always has been, he gets it from me!

Ellies breastfed and always been a good sleeper (except for illness or growth spurts), she sleeps on average 10pm until 8am :) How did last night go hun?

i dont really know how often logan feeds at night, we co-sleep so i never wake up enough to take much notice. it must only be once or twice :think:
i finding it much less tiring having him in bed with me.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Eventually... lil miss don't and Tia was around 3.... YEARS! :rotfl: Sorry I'm not very encouraging am I... ? :?

Calleigh is exclusively breastfed and is currently going at least six hours in the night, then a quick feed and change and back to sleep for another couple of hours.
One night she went through for eight hours but has yet to repeat that.

Six hours is good enough for me at the mo :D

The best Emms has done so far is 5 hours in a straight run, then another 2 hours sleep.

I think I'm going to try the putting her in dark room for some of the time in the evening to see if she settles as she is really demanding a lot of the evening and it is exhausting!! (Back to back boobie for hours on end!!) :shock: I havent dared put her in another room yet for a length of time, but have intercom and ready to go!

Grace was exclusively BF and from 4 months slept from 6.30 to 10.30 when I gave her a dream feed and then slept again until 6.30.. then from 5 1/2 months I dropped the dream feed and she went through all night ..

like the others have said I think it depends on your baby..... it might take some time but it will happen :hug: :hug:

Thank you for all your replies. I am hopeful April may manage it one day :pray:

After my really successful evening yesterday, I woke her at ten for a night feed, then she woke every two hours all night :( :( :( She has never done that since she was born. I am shattered today.

I am going to persevere though, maybe it was just her getting used to a new routine. Although, tonight I am not going to wake her at ten for night feed. I will just let her wake as and when and see what happens. :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back