Feeding and sleep time

DDS

Reaction score
My little girl is 8 days old.
Her biggest feed always seems to be the 2-3am feed.
I have been told to wake her every 4 hours, but often after this large feed she could probably go another hour, is this safe????? to leave her for up to 5 hours.
The MW said to wake her every 4hrs to feed.
I cannot feed her less at this time, as she is definately hungry.

I dont know why your MW told you to wake her every 4 hours for a feed? She will let you know when she is hungry?
Is there a special reason why your MW told you that you need to wake her?

Demand feeding what weve always done, never woken her for a feed :S Do what ur comfortable with but im with lea uunless theres a specific reason i cant think why therd b any harm leaving her to sleep :hug:

Does my reply sound bitchy? Im sorry if it does! I didnt mean it to come across that way but when I read it back then it sounds like Im being snappy!? :hug: :hug: :hug:

If she's breastfed, then feed on demand, she will be able to control her appetite. At such an early age I probably would've woken Lucy up during the day. BUT if she's breastfed and sleeps at night, I wouldn't as long as she's making lots of wet nappies.

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it.
The reply was not bitchy at all, to me it makes complete sense.
The MW said it was important for sugar levels and dehydration thinkgs like that.
Believe me she has no problem in weeing and pooing - excuse the direct language.
Being a first time mum i thought this was probably the norm, maybe she felt it important beacuse she is so young, not sure.
Either way i think i will now let her sleep longer.
Thanks ladies!

Babies generally (well usually bottle fed) go around 4 hours before wanting a feed, Breastfed babies usually want feeding sooner!
Maybe if she is an exceptional sleeper lol and doesnt want to wake for a fed then in the day maybe what the midwife said is best! But if she is waking herself to feed and has plenty of wet nappies and is gaining weight, I would be happy to let her sleep when she wants too!

BUT i will say hun, Im no MW! She might have a reason to say what she did! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think sometimes there can be concern that a BF isn't feeding enough and has too long between feeds. Not feeding enough means they start to lack energy and become more sleepy therefore starting a bit of a circle of not having enough energy to wake for feeds. If you understand what I mean. I can understand your MW suggesting this for the reasons she gave you.

Usually BF babies only go a couple of hours between feeds in the early weeks. Some go longer, some less, but 2 hours or so is average.

I'd have probably fed my LO in the day more often than 4 hourly. He went 5 hours between feeds once at about 3 or 4 days old and became juandiced and then I had to feed him every 2 hours regardless. At least offered him my boob every couple just to give him the chance to feed. As it was he was never off my boob after that :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back