Distance to hospital/birth centre?

mrs_z

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought I had this one figured out, but going down to single digits until my due date I'm suddenly starting to reconsider my choices...

Our local hospital is a 10 minute drive away, so got pretty lucky there, but equipment and birthing options are limited, and their rates for assisted deliveries and c-sections are rather high. And then there's a shiny new birth centre about an hour away that got raving reviews all around, but I'm worried we'll never make it there on time and that I'll be too uncomfortable to travel. :wall2:

I had initially settled for the local option, but I'd really like to keep things as natural as possible (at least in my world of wishful thinking :oooo:). For those of you who have had babies before, do you think an hour is too long to drive? And how long does everyone else have to travel to give birth?

Thank you! :petal:

Although I ended up induced, my hospital was still a good 30-40 minute drive into the city and the traffic round there can be a nightmare and has taken me up to an hour to get there. I think you need to write a comprehensive list of pros and cons and speak to your midwife. If it were me, I'd go for the birthing centre.

My local hospital is a 20 min drive but I really don't like it , so I've chosen one that's 45 mins away ish ... If no traffic , however my first labour was 3 hours start to finish and intense ... I'm worried about the 2nd being quicker and if it's high traffic ... Plus the hospital entrance gets gridlocked and there's no way I will be able to walk in !!! My midwife told me if it's quick I need to dial,999 but they will take me to the hospital that I have no trust in ... Time will tell , 10 days until due date X

My birth centre is 5 mins away and my local hospital 40mins, longer with traffic. I had my 1st two at the hospital and I am going for a home birth this time due to not wanting to travel in the car to the hospital, I was only at hospital for 30 mins before my 2nd was born so fear this one could come in the car! Won't be allowed into the birth centre due to previous births (emcs and vbac with retained placenta) but I feel confident in my choices this time. I feel that you need to be as calm and relaxed as possible to avoid unwanted interference so I would probably travel to the birth centre if I felt comfortable enough at the time and if not go to the closer option. xx

Thanks everyone...been discussing with OH and we still don't really know what to go for - it'll probably really come down to how I feel on the day. I think I'll just have to discuss with my midwife and see if I can book into the centre, but go to the local hospital if the drive seems unmanageable. So many things to worry about!!

Birdo - fingers crossed you'll make it to your hospital of choice! It just seems so daunting to be in labour, and be forced to go with an uncomfortable option...

Kanga - I think you're right, if I think about the birth centre, it actually gives me a lot more confidence that there'd be a good chance things would be going the way I hope for. It would just be nice to know I'd be going to a place where I agree with the philosophy.

But...I guess at the end of the day they all come out, and it'll be fine one way or another. Just not sure how I'm supposed to get through another two months of waiting for this baby!

I would go to birth centre if I were you. Is it first baby? I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated with my 1st and still took 2 hours until she was actually born. My second I went to birthing centre not dilated at all but waters broken haha (I was over cautious after my first!) and she was born 4 hours later. Birth centre birth was absolutely awesome, water birth, mood lighting, chill out music... Would recommend x

My local hospital is having the maternity department removed so I will have to travel to the city which is anywhere from 70-90 mins away. If I end up in trouble with PE or anything else the chances are one of us would not survive :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back