Disinfecting baby toys etc..

nori

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering what you mums out there use to disinfect hard baby toys. Ive bought a few bits from car boots and want them nice and clean. Is dettol surface spray too strong for baby things?

I keep reading in books that everything has to be spotlessly clean for the baby??

Claire x

I've never sterilised any of his toys.. although I would probably give them a quick wash if I had bought them from a car boot sale. I've never sterilised anything, he was exclusively breastfed up to 6 months so I didn't need to do bottles and now he's on food I just wash his bowls/spoons etc along with our stuff. I personally don't believe in keeping everything spotless, if he does come in contact with germs he's just building his immune system!

If you want to sterilise it to be on the safe side before giving them I'd use (if toys are suitable to do this with) boiled water and dunk them in for a couple of minutes then put them in some Milton solution for a while.

I would defo clean 2nd hand things. I would put soft toys in the washing machine and give everything else a good clean in hot soapy water.

I personally don't see the point it trying to keep everything spotless. It's too much hard workand a few germs will not do any harm. xxx

You can get Milton wipes which might be easier.

Gosh, I'm so lazy, I don't think I've ever cleaned DD's toys!

Valentine Xxx

and she's prob never had a bug from them hey valentine !

please dont go ott on the germ front , you'll drive yourself stir crazy !!! give them a good wash in really hot water / soap . and if u want wipe them over with some milton wipes / dettol wipes but there'll be fine :hug:

I agree with everyone elses comments, don't go over the top with cleaning, they need to build up their immunity to bugs. Having said that things I've brought from car boots I have given a quick wash with warm water and dettol and it did the job.

We use milton too, but not too often.

I personally think Dettol would be too strong...

Thanks everyone.. dont worry im sure i wont go over the top on the cleanliness! Ive not heard of the milton wipes.. do you just get them from supermarkets?

I just use baby wipes, or wash them as normal dishes if they get really grubby :oops:

As someone else said, I would wash soft toys in the washer and I would probably soak hard toys in soapy water for a while and clean them with a sponge!
I used to use Dettol on the highchair and I think that was about it in regards to the baby! The need a certain amount of dirt and germs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back