Did your ante natal classes cover breathing techniques?

Xcitedmum

Reaction score
Hi girlies :wave:

I have just got home from the first of 2 ante natal classes. The midwife covered the 3 stages of labour and the drugs that are available throughout labour.

To be honest there wasn't really much that she talked about that I hadn't read about/ been told about etc.

I am really miffed as she did not cover the different breathing techniques that coincide with each stage of labour!? I would have thought this was THE most important thing she could have taught us about?

The second class is about your stay in hospital and breastfeeding - which I don't see the point in attending as I do not intend to breastfeed...

I am totally shocked that they have totally left out teaching mums to be how to help labour progress by breathing correctly!

Were your classes the same?

Yep just the same... went through the labour and pain relief etc and that was about it... x

During my antenatal we all had to get on a little padded mat with our partners and learnt how to breast through the shorter contractions and then the longer more painful ones. For the more painful ones she had our partners pinch us, and then pinch us while we were breathing.

I loved my midwife as she was all for natural births and was telling us all about these women who'd got through just from breathing correctly and one woman who sang through each contraction and was so relaxed. It really helped relax and prepare me. Im a bit surprised that you werent told about breathing technique :(

I am not really sure what to do now - I have just read a hypnobirthing book that describes 3 different types of breathing so might just look them up on you tube and try to gain some knowledge that way...

Melio - your classes sound really good! My hubby was so looking forward to a class like that where he could get involved, its such a shame thats not what is on offer in our area :wall2:

Hi ya no we didn't get any breathing techniques at the labour and birth one we just did! we have got one more which is baby's first week home and breast feeding so guess it won't be on that one lol!!

we didnt do about breathing techniques.
The midwife running the class said they used to do it but a lot of women would panic during labour as they would get confused as to what was said in the class about breathing and if they were doing it right.
She did say that your body knows the best techniques to use when coping with pain ( examples used were when you have a headache you automatically rub your head) and you should just go with what your body says what to do.Ie deep breathing when the contractions hit.
She said as long as you are breathing you are doing it right.
I liked the midwife as she was all for listening to your own body and doing what you feel is right for you which is reflected in the delivery suites as they give you such a big room with big baths in the en suites and a birthing ball in all rooms.

I did the all day class a few weeks ago, to be honest it didn't really teach me anything I didn't already know either.

As for breathing techniques she showed a diagram of a hill, going up the hill and down were a few spaced out candles and at the peak was lots of candles huddled together. She just said imagine the hill is a contraction and u blow the candles out as u progress. Slowly going up then fast at the peak then slowly when its dipping! That was it! Haha I was too tired after a full day to even ask further questions! She said she couldn't show us exactly how to breath following the diagram coz it makes her dizzy! Ha... Cheers!

Xxx

We haven't covered anything on breathing techniques either. I have my final class which is called 'Parenting Workshop' so I'm not imagining that it will be covered then.

I did a Hypnobirthing course and was taught their techniques so just going with those. I've heard that dong Hypnobirthing then trying to follow other techniques elsewhere can be confusing and more of a hindrance anyway. I find that the 'Sleep Breathing' is brilliant in helping me to relax! I go to sleep with my Hypnobirthing CD on every night and focus on my breathing and I'm sound asleep within 5-10 minutes! I've only ever heard my CD all the way through a handful of times in the past 10 weeks as it relaxes me so much!

If you do choose to read more into the Hypnobirthing techniques, I'd advise that you practise every day (OMG - totally unrelated but PF is telling me that 'practise' is spelled incorrectly! How dare it accuse me when I know for a fact I'm right! Ha ha!)

I'd be interested to see other techniques that are covered in other classes though! xx

I got the book out last night and tried to practice the sleep breathing whilst listening to the positive affirmations. Yes it is definately going to require some practice!

I had a lot on my mind so found it hard to shut down whilst doing it last night but will keep at it!

Lucia do you find the slow breathing hard to do? I do!

We have done a bit about the breathing in our classes - told to imagine the contractions like a wave at the beginning, inhale through them and exhale them away! Just like the in for 4 out for 8 in the hypnobirthing book. I find the slow breathing hard to do from that book, kind of thinking I might not be able to inhale, exhale for that long! At a class I did last night, sort of based on the hypnobirting with yoga and stretches etc we did what she called escalator breathing for when the contractions are coming hard, long and faster! Inhale for longer with a shorter breath out to get you through the whole contraction, will take some practise but felt better than long long breaths in and out!

all the midwife's that took my anti-natal classes had the same opinion on breathing exercises . . . "you know how to breath" that is the exact words they all used! and one of them was my midwife so no point asking her! luckily my mum is into alternative therapy's so she's going to practice some meditation with me! hopefully that will help!

we were told about breathing techniques and all had to practice them together.

she did however say that most mw's will help/suggest good breathing during your labour as most women dont remember about the ones theyve been shown when the time comes. xxx

Ha ha! Yes, the slow breathing is hard at first, but practising every day should help. I just inflate my abdomen as much as possible whilst counting to 20 really quickly. Imagine you are inflating a balloon in there and when you exhale for another 20 imagine that you are releasing the balloon. xx

(OMG - totally unrelated but PF is telling me that 'practise' is spelled incorrectly! How dare it accuse me when I know for a fact I'm right! Ha ha!)

Practice is with a "c" not an "s" - In fact PF is right and you are wrong :whistle: sorry made me giggle!!

Oh and never did breathing at my classes either - said body does it naturally - what a load of bollocks I grabbed the gas and air and inhaled it like my life depended on it!!!!

(OMG - totally unrelated but PF is telling me that 'practise' is spelled incorrectly! How dare it accuse me when I know for a fact I'm right! Ha ha!)

Practice is with a "c" not an "s" - In fact PF is right and you are wrong :whistle: sorry made me giggle!!

Practise = Verb

Practice = Noun

If you replace the word practise with 'prepare' in your sentence and it still makes sense then it is a verb and therefore shoud be spelled with 's'.
If you can replace the word 'practice' with the word 'preparation' in your sentence and it still makes sense a 'c' should be used in the spelling.

In fact I am right and you and PF are wrong :whistle: Sorry - you made me giggle even more! ;)

Last edited:

Practise = Verb

Practice = Noun

If you replace the word practise with 'prepare' in your sentence and it still makes sense then it is a verb and therefore shoud be spelled with 's'.
If you can replace the word 'practice' with the word 'preparation' in your sentence and it still makes sense a 'c' should be used in the spelling.

In fact I am right and you and PF are wrong :whistle: Sorry - you made me giggle even more! ;)

Ha ha! Just thought, PF uses a lot of American English. In America it's more acceptable to use "practice" with a 'c' regardless of whether it's a verb or a noun. God, I hate that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back