Antenatal classes cover breathing/relaxtion in labour?

L-Kate

Reaction score
Just wondering whether breathing and relaxation techniques in labour were covered in your Parentcraft/antenatal classes? I keep reading about this as being a standard part of the parentcraft course but I've just finished my course and we didn't cover it at all. I looked into doing some antenatal yoga classes but the courses near me have already begun and were not affordable for me - does anyone know of a good book or website that covers this so I can train myself at home?

Hello hun, I have started mine and they have said there is no breathing relaxation lessons that we will be doing and thats all I really wanted to go for! :(

I would like to do some like you though!

x

I think you can get DVDs on it- have a look on Amazon, I'm sure KateQPR had been using one...? I just tried to practice letting every muscle in my body go floppy all at once as you breathe out. I do this with injections etc too as it's supposed not to hurt as much if you're relaxed. It's really important to relax into the contractions and the pushes in labour but I think the best thing you can do is to listen to your midwife when she tells you to go with the flow and relax and tell your birth partner to remind you of that too as you tend to forget! My mum and my midwife said it over and over again and it was easier to just do whatever their voices said than to remember to do it myself as I was off my head on gas anyway!

+++

We did a bit in our NCT classes, but I've heard we don't do any on the NHS ones. The bit we did at NCT was basically just about trying to relax - deep breaths in and slow breaths out - and feeling yourself go a bit light-headed.

I'm doing Natal Hypnotherapy Birth Preparation CDs which I can't recommend highly enough - I really think it'll help. x

Kaybee I keep meaning to get the DVD dont I :oops: along with my list of other things!!!

I wish they did do breathing because I think I am going to need some advise not too good in the relaxation department!! :shakehead:

xx

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm not going to be very good with labour pain (if my agonising monthly's are anything to go by) and if I've got something like breathing to focus on it will help. So many people have said it's well worth practising relaxtion/breathing techniques but like you say I think it will be hard to remember these without hubby/midwife talking me through it! I just want to get everything right I guess. Thanks again!

Hi :wave:

As far as I know, breathing/relaxation isn't covered in Parentcraft/Antenatal classes.

My midwife spoke to me about seperate classes soley for the purpose of learning breathing techniques/relaxation, etc., which I've now been booked in for as I said I would definetly like a place. I start them in two weeks, and the parentcraft classes in a month. It might be worth asking your Midwife if there's anywhere near you that does these classes? If not, then as Rosebay said, I'm sure you can get DVD's/books, etc., which may be of some help, it's worth having a look on Amazon!

Breathing/Relaxation wasn't covered in my classes either! However, I found that when I was in labour I found my own breathing technique that worked for me.... and when I was up getting assessed when we went into hospital the midwife commented on my breathing and that I must have learnt well from the classes! :roll: :roll:

SO...my advice is, don't worry that its not covered, you will find your own natural way of breathing through each contraction and it will be unique and work for you :D

Lisaspoon!!! I hope so!! :rotfl: I hope I will be OK breathing through them!!!

x

I go to yoga and the teacher has taught us to inhale through your nose and xhale through ur mouth, when u inhale your belly goes out and xhale your belly in but when u are having a contraction you cant breathe with your belly you need to breathe through your ribs it sounds very strange but i hope it helps when the time comes mayb try to you tube it and see is there anything on there to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back