depression and pregnancy

moonsky

Reaction score
hi. I'm already a mum of 3 years old child, I'm looking for a second one. Since i suffered a bad depression during my pregnancy and after giving birth was even worse, I'm scared. I'm now on antidepressants medicines and benzodiapine for sleeping and panic attacks. Is it really impossible to be pregnant and taking those meds?

Hi moonsky!

I have no idea whatsoever, just checking in to say hi. Your GP is the best person to speak to I think, although from the sounds of it you'll be sick of the sight of him/her! I hope you're doing ok, but well done for getting help. We're here for moral support :D

I dont believe any will prevent you from getting pregnant. I found my cycles were much more stable when on fluoxitine. There are some meds that have fewer contraindications than others for pregnancy. Tell your GP you want to TTC and ask about the risks and benefits of continuing or switching / impact on your fertility.

I've heard Prozac and Sertraline are supposed to be safe when ttc. I think your gp will weigh up the risk if it's greater if you come off them its best to keep taking them. Which antidepressants are you on ?. I was on mirtazepine for years, it was a miracle for me, cured my depression, anxiety and insomnia. I have a terrible relapse now, tried mirt again and had a really bad photosensitivity to it, came out in bright red rashes all over.�� x

Last edited:
I'm on paroxetine, olanzapine e bromazepan. im almost sure i have to stop olanzapine and bromazepan but then i will not sleeping anymore (i experienced insomnia in first pregnancy)

I'm on paroxetine, olanzapine e bromazepan. im almost sure i have to stop olanzapine and bromazepan but then i will not sleeping anymore (i experienced insomnia in first pregnancy)

Well I went to my Dr, she said that fluoxetine (Prozac) is safe when ttc, she told me to use condoms if using mirtazepine but when I googled it they are both pregnancy category C and I found online ladies that had conceived on mirtazepine so I don't know how they consider one safe from the other. x

Well done for looking into it before just going for it! It'd definitely be sensible to try switching to a pregnancy-safe med before trying for a baby to see how you adjust and cope as I can't imagine how stressful it would be coming off a med whilst already being pregnant.. Good luck with everything, hope you have an understanding GP x

Thanks everyone for your answers. I will talk to my doctor and make a plane to have a safe pregnancy. :)

I just read the leaflet in my mirtazepine and it says there is no known risk in pregnancy so thats good as I've just started back on them x

I take mirtazapine (remron), bupropion (welbutrin), aripiprazole (abilify), clonazepam (klonopin) for insomnia, depression and anxiety/panic disorders. I've researched all of them like a madwoman and from what I've read none will affect you GETTING pregnant. However, I know the clonazepam can cause birth defects if taken WHILE pregnant. Personally, I plan on stopping all psychotropic medications while I'm pregnant because I don't want my child to need the medications the way that I do--at least give them a fighting chance to not need them off the bat. It is likely to be a rough 9 months knowing my condition without medication.. I mostly wanted to pop in and say "You're not alone!" I hope you find a way of going about your next pregnancy in as positive a manner possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back