Do you feed on demand

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by positivity :), Dec 16, 2011.

1. positivity :)

positivity :) Well-Known Member

..or at set intervals? I know lo is only a few days old but up until today we have been feeding about every 4 hours but today he was suddenly demanding a lot more so we just gave him when he demanded but I feel a bit like we are over feeding and there is no routine? Xx

2. Cantstop

Cantstop Well-Known Member

I fed on demand, I was breast feeding though and I assume you're formula feeding - I would just feed him as much and as often as he wants at the mo, maybe do set times etc a bit later. Every baby is different and he might want more than the suggested amounts/times - saying that though I have no experience with formula feeding so might be overlooking some important reason not to do that.

3. Cantstop

Cantstop Well-Known Member

Oh and also, he's so little still, don't worry about routines yet, that will sort itself out in weeks to come x

4. littlemiss83

littlemiss83 Well-Known Member

Its not possible to over feed a baby! - They puke up what they don't need. If he pukes alot then stop, if not then keep going, he obvs needs it.

I think they all kinda just feed on demand for the first week or so. He could maybe be sucking for comfort?

:)

5. Amy_J

Amy_J Well-Known Member

I bf and ff on demand! Your lo will find his own routine in time! Time changed from two hr intervals, to three or four, i could never anticipate the next feed iykwim. Xoxoxo

6. LilyMac

LilyMac Well-Known Member

I fed on demand to begin with then Aiden just got himself into a routine.
    Like little miss said, if they have too much they just bring it back up x

7. Roo3

Roo3 Well-Known Member

I still feed on demand. He'll normally go 3-4 hours between feeds though. Like the others have said you can't overfeed a baby, they take what they need and will puke up anything extra!

8. positivity :)

positivity :) Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone :friends: xx

9. Sarah13

Sarah13 Well-Known Member

I'm still feeding on demand 11 weeks on! Guess they just eat when they are hungry/thirsty. We do have a kind of 2-3 hourly pattern though but not always!

10. Miss

Miss Well-Known Member

6 months and still feeding on demand here! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

11. i.love

i.love Well-Known Member

yep, I also feed on demand! I find it much easier than listen to my little boy crying! Even if it means that sometimes I need to feed him every 30-45 minutes... If he is happy, I am happy.

12. Lulu_Laroo

Lulu_Laroo Well-Known Member

I fed on demand from the day she was born until the hospital told me to wake her and feed her every 3 hours to flush the jaundice out of her system. Once her jaundice was gone I went back to feeding on demand and still do, though I pretty much know exactly when she'll be hungry now. It makes no sense to me at all why you would have set times to feed a baby - they'll let you know when they're hungry! :)

#12 Lulu_Laroo, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  13. Mummy2Adam

Mummy2Adam Well-Known Member

I feed Elexia on demand, she normally feeds every 4 hours but sometimes its 3, then during the night she can go anywhere between 4-8 hours without a feed. I have noticed the longer she goes during the night the less she goes in between bottles during the day x x

14. Constantstar

Constantstar Well-Known Member

We don't feed on demand we set intervals as that's what they did in special care and to be honest it helped so much . Now we know when he is going to eat and he knows too!! :) Owens never cries for food a such

15. Alexandra84

Alexandra84 Well-Known Member

I've been demand feeding straight from the start as I really don't like to have the baby crying. It's actually settled down really well and she's now got her own routine, feeding every 2-3h during the day and waking up around 4am and 7am in the night. It's really worked for me :)

Breastfeeding btw.

16. Piglet's Mama

Piglet's Mama Well-Known Member

In the early days Brooke didn't stop eating so we fed her what she wanted when she wanted! She's in more of a routine now feeding every 3-4hours ish but I try not to stress about her feeding now. As the others have said, baby will let you know when he's hungry x

17. DW1978

DW1978 Well-Known Member

Another demand feeder here! Sometimes he can go 4 or 5 hours but more often its every 2 to 3 hours

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

18. Franna75

Franna75 Well-Known Member

I have fed on demand from the start too. In the first few weeks i did wake him a couple of times for the same reason as Poppy, Thomas was jaundice but after that just fed when he started making goat noises :)

Now, he just opens and closes his mouth and looks at my boobs then starts getting all excited and laughing (goat boy noises) just before I put him on, its hilarious.

Every so often I do wake him for a midnight feed if he's gone to sleep at 6pm, but he settles back down after. I didnt start bedtime routing until he was 3 months though.

19. LucyAnn

LucyAnn Well-Known Member

yeah chloes 10 weeks and still feedng on demand here, in the night its every 4 hours and she finishes her bottle still only 4 oz though but in the day its extremly broken especially with her feed, its a nightmare when trying to travel long distances as she likes little and often, but think some of it is that she doesnt have a dummy and finds comfort on the bottle and falls asleep on bottle, would love routine but dont mind feed on demand im used to it now lol xx