Decided to tell my boss

Moofa

Reaction score
Hi

Since before I got my BFP my boss has been fighting for me to be upgraded at work without much success (I'm top of my salary band and other members moving into my section are a grade higher but basically doing the same job after restructuring). I'm now 9.5 weeks and so stressed as my boss said it will be an uphill battle but she still wishes to continue fighting but it could go into Jan or February.

After much thinking and advice from a trusted colleague I am going to confess to my boss that I'm 9.5 weeks pregnant. I can't keep making up excuses for future midwife and scan appointments. I had a blood test this morning for my nuchal scan arranged for the 3 Jan, the midwife is seeing me on the 10 Jan and my NHS scan could be in Jan too.

I am finding it upsetting not being able to say to my boss so hoping that she will hold it in her confidence tomorrow when I tell her and still be able to move forward for an upgrade. My colleague said it would put me in a stronger position if she knew I was pregnant as if anytthing went wrong job wise they can't say someone didn't know the situation.

So wish me luck tomorrow. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Mx

Good luck hun.

When I was pg with my son, I wasn't aware of it but my line manager was putting me forward for a pay rise.

I got quite a significant pay rise when I was about 5 months pregnant. Came as a complete shock and was really reassuring to see that just because I was pregnant I wasn't being overlooked.

I hope everything goes well for you. They have to tread very carefully with pregnant women, they can't be seen to be discriminating against you.

Bagpuss17 said:
Good luck hun.

When I was pg with my son, I wasn't aware of it but my line manager was putting me forward for a pay rise.

I got quite a significant pay rise when I was about 5 months pregnant. Came as a complete shock and was really reassuring to see that just because I was pregnant I wasn't being overlooked.

I hope everything goes well for you. They have to tread very carefully with pregnant women, they can't be seen to be discriminating against you.

Thanks for your reply, that has really helped. I work as admin at a University and I'm also disabled so hoping that they will have to tread more carefully as it would look bad for a Uni to be discriminate.

Mx

Hi Hun,

I was in a sort of simular situation... Everyone in my department (technical help desk) was on about £3k a year more than me. I'd been fighting to be put on the same wage as them for months, then we got a new boss and I told her I was 11 weeks pregnant. About a week later she called me in her office and said my salary had been put up to match everyone elses. I'm so grateful cus it will help with childcare costs once I go back to work.

Hiya,

Let us know how you get on today!

I'm having a bit of a work problem too at the moment - I travel in my job and my boss wants me to go to Madagascar in January. I keep being vague, saying I'll check flights whenever he mentions it but I can't hold off forever! I'd much rather wait to tell him but I guess I'll have no choice....

xx

Hi

Just spoke to my boss (tissues at the ready too as I knew I would cry). She was wonderful, gave me a huge hug and said she would still push for my upgrade. She suggested that I apply for other higher grades too but I said at the moment I couldn't take the stress of it all and would rather fight for my job to be upgraded.

We are going to tell my big boss so he undersatnds the situation and see what he suggests (he is a big softie). She reassured me that if I am not upgraded it will be nothing to do with my pregnancy but the role of the job.

So relieved.

Mx

Ahhh :hug: :hug: :hug:

You must feel so much better for having shared your news with them. It's terrible that women are made to feel like they can't divulge that they're pregnant. Most companies are good these days, especially places like Uni's.

It doesn't mean that you are less able to do your job cos you are pregnant.

:hug:

My colleague who sits opposite me had a go because I didn't confide in her and told my boss first :roll: Oh well she leaves in a month

I can't stop crying after what my colleague said about me not telling her first. Its up to me who and when I tell. I'm dreading going in tomorrow as she spends days sulking (she is 56!) and hasn't spoken to me since 11am. We are the only two in the offfice.

It's up to you who you tell and when, don't let her get your goat. I have a friend who'll probably be miffed when she finds out I told my OH and mum over her but she'll get over it. Adult sulkers, what can you say? :wall:

I think you'd have had more issues if you hadn't told your boss first, you did completely the right thing. Try not to stress!

Aww Im glad things went well with your boss, lovely that she was so nice :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back