Annual appraisal tomorrow - telling boss!

mandspice

Reaction score
I’m have my annual appraisal tomorrow so will have to tell my boss (kinda wanted to wait for the scan) as he will be planning my forthcoming year, including travel abroad and I can’t sit there and agree knowing very well I won’t be going abroad and won’t be around after June!

Do you think during an appraisal is an appropriate time to tell him? Or should I have a word with him before tomorrow, as it may change what he wants to discuss? xx

i'd say have a quiet word beforehand as it might effect what planning for your workload and any potential training etc

Good luck!

I agree with Sparky have a word beforehand so he can incorporate another plan for you. I have told my boss in work but nobody else. I had 3 days off sick last week, and told her so that she wouldn't add them to my sick record. As they were pregnancy related illnesses they don't count as sick. She was very nice about it and arranged a work station assessment straight away, to make sure i'm sitting correctly etc.

Men are scared of pregnant women so hopefully he'll give you some nice tasks for the remainder of your pregnancy! Good Luck.

xx

i agree i think you should tell them before the meeting as the plan for next year will have to be changed they might cancel tomorrows meeting to give them time to re plan

clairedoran said:
I agree with Sparky have a word beforehand so he can incorporate another plan for you. I have told my boss in work but nobody else. I had 3 days off sick last week, and told her so that she wouldn't add them to my sick record. As they were pregnancy related illnesses they don't count as sick. She was very nice about it and arranged a work station assessment straight away, to make sure i'm sitting correctly etc.

Men are scared of pregnant women so hopefully he'll give you some nice tasks for the remainder of your pregnancy! Good Luck.

xx

interesting, does that mean that they could not include pregnacy related time off sick if they were writing a reference?

sparky said:
interesting, does that mean that they could not include pregnacy related time off sick if they were writing a reference?

Taking time off for pregnancy related matters is supposed to be viewed differently.

However, in principal you should never write a bad reference. Either its good or you don't write one.

I'd not expect anyone to list time off sick (if I took a more than is considered normal amount) in any reference for me as I'd consider that a 'bad' reference.

I've never written anyone a bad reference. If I was asked to supply one and the person was not someone I would recommened to a future employer I would simply reply and say I was unable to supply them with a reference and leave it at that. That in itself will tell a prospective employer enough.

Good luck telling your boss, I'm sure it'll go fine :D I think I would let him know before or all his carefully prepared notes will go out of the window at the appraisal :D

Good luck hon!!!

You'll be fine and I bet you'll fee;l so much more relaxed afterwards too :)

sparky said:
clairedoran said:

xx

The policy in my work is that a pregnancy related illness is not recorded on your sick record, it will not go against you in any sickness disciplinary etc. I believe this is across the board with all employers or should be. Hope this helps.

xx

Coincidentally I had my appraisal today and I told my boss at the meeting, for the same reasons as you, so he can prepare for the coming year. I might have told him earlier but I was off thursday and friday and only had 10 minutes notice of the meeting so that's his own fault for not giving me more warning :lol:

Hi ev1....

I'm Dee I've just discovered i am 6wks pregnant, this wasnt planned and its been a big big shock to my system. I feel really bad as ev1 on this site seems so happy at there results... i just feel lost, confused, and really really sick...

But my biggest worry is my feelings towards my boyfriend seem to have changed.. im starting to have doubts about my love for him someone help me pls :( ....

Sorry to add so much doom and gloom to what should be a happy time for all

Hope it all goes well for you mandspice, very best wishes :hug:

D321 said:
Hi ev1....

I'm Dee I've just discovered i am 6wks pregnant, this wasnt planned and its been a big big shock to my system. I feel really bad as ev1 on this site seems so happy at there results... i just feel lost, confused, and really really sick...

But my biggest worry is my feelings towards my boyfriend seem to have changed.. im starting to have doubts about my love for him someone help me pls :( ....

Sorry to add so much doom and gloom to what should be a happy time for all

hon if u start a new topic rather then reply that should do a post created for you for ppl to reply to

xx

Thanks everyone! Well, after all that I have the appraisal at 11 and haven't had chance to speak to him yet as he buggered off yesterday afternoon. I have a meeting today 10 - 11 so won't get chance now. So he's gonna get a surprise!

How did your boss take it Mrs Metal? xx

oooooo you'll be in there now, im scared for ya....lol. Let us know what they say x

He was really really nice - disappointed I'll be gone for a while but seemed genuinely pleased for me as he knew what I went thru with the miscarriage last year and actually said he was impressed with how I coped with it. :D

Your boss sounds lovely..glad it went well though..

mandspice said:
Thanks everyone! Well, after all that I have the appraisal at 11 and haven't had chance to speak to him yet as he buggered off yesterday afternoon. I have a meeting today 10 - 11 so won't get chance now. So he's gonna get a surprise!

How did your boss take it Mrs Metal? xx

Quite well surprisingly as it threw all his plans for the whole team for the year out the window! But he is a decent guy and as he had no idea we were trying his main concern was was I happy and ok about it and feeling alright.

At least you'll be telling him at the start of the year so even if he has made lots of plans he wouldn't have started to put them into place yet so he should be ok about it :hug:

Whoops replied before reading the whole post! I'm very glad he was happy for you :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back