Daughter having an op, what do I tell her?

Cjj

Reaction score
Jess is 26 months now and next weds she's booked in to have a small skin tag removed from her ear. It will be done under general and they've said she'll be gone about 20 mins. We have to be there at 7.30am and she has to fast from midnight.
So what do I tell her?!

Something like the doctor will take it away but you won't feel a thing and afterwards she can pick what she wants to do with you as a reward for being brave/understanding/good etc. It's not needed so they will take it off but it's nothing bad and she won't know it's happening

My son had an op at 23 months under general. I didn't tell him much to be honest, we said we were going to hospital, he played in the playroom while waiting,' took a book he'd selected from some they'd offered him to distract him in the pre-op room and then watched the bubbles they blew as they distracted him to put the anaesthetic mask over his face.

He wasn't talking much at this point but he never asked anything and we found it easier dealing with anything at the time rather than in advance

I should also add that we were there has he was put to sleep and they paged us so we were there as he woke up too

My son had an op at 23 months under general. I didn't tell him much to be honest, we said we were going to hospital, he played in the playroom while waiting,' took a book he'd selected from some they'd offered him to distract him in the pre-op room and then watched the bubbles they blew as they distracted him to put the anaesthetic mask over his face.

He wasn't talking much at this point but he never asked anything and we found it easier dealing with anything at the time rather than in advance

What's it like when they put the mask on? It's the bit I'm dreading!

I'm a children's nurse and work in surgical so experience this with kids every day!

I wouldn't tell her much either. Explain you're going to see the doctor in the big hospital and make it sound more like an adventure. Take a few of your own toys/books and comforts. We let kids take one of their own comforts to theatre with them! The mask can be a bit daunting as it goes over their face but just keep jess focused on something else. She may get a bit upset as she starts to fall asleep but she'll be sleeping in no time. Honestly, you'll be more upset by all this than her. Before you know it she'll be out of theatre and talking away to you! Let me know if I can answer anything else for you xx

Last edited:

It was the bit I struggled with to be honest, Thomas was absolutely fine as he was sitting in his daddy's lap looking at a book, he didn't really notice the mask as they just held it in front of his face and although they warned us he might struggle as the gas took effect he just lolled and fell asleep in his dad's arms.

I was heavily pregnant at the time so my hormones were abit all over the place anyway, but I just managed to hold it together long enough for him to go to sleep. After that I balled my eyes out. He was away from us for about 90mins which wasn't too bad and like I said we were there as he came round in post op care. He recovered really quickly. He'd had a op on his testicle and he was up and abit playing and walking within an hour. It was day surgery so we took him home after he'd passed urine and eaten.

The staff were fab and it was a relief to get it out the way and done, but really it was quite straight forward and he coped with it really well

I'm a children's nurse and work in surgical so experience this with kids every day!

I wouldn't tell her much either. Explain you're going to see the doctor in the big hospital and make it sound more like an adventure. Take a few of your own toys/books and comforts. We let kids take one of their own comforts to theatre with them! The mask can be a bit daunting as it goes over their face but just keep jess focused on something else. She may get a bit upset as she starts to fall asleep but she'll be sleeping in no time. Honestly, you'll be more upset by all this than her. Before you know it she'll be out of theatre and talking away to you! Let me know if I can answer anything else for you xx

Aw thank you. What happens after theatre? Is she taken to recovery wher I can join her or will she wake up without me?

It was the bit I struggled with to be honest, Thomas was absolutely fine as he was sitting in his daddy's lap looking at a book, he didn't really notice the mask as they just held it in front of his face and although they warned us he might struggle as the gas took effect he just lolled and fell asleep in his dad's arms.

I was heavily pregnant at the time so my hormones were abit all over the place anyway, but I just managed to hold it together long enough for him to go to sleep. After that I balled my eyes out. He was away from us for about 90mins which wasn't too bad and like I said we were there as he came round in post op care. He recovered really quickly. He'd had a op on his testicle and he was up and abit playing and walking within an hour. It was day surgery so we took him home after he'd passed urine and eaten.

The staff were fab and it was a relief to get it out the way and done, but really it was quite straight forward and he coped with it really well

Ah that's good to hear. Ours is day surgery too so hopefully she'll be up and running like yours!

Aw thank you. What happens after theatre? Is she taken to recovery wher I can join her or will she wake up without me?

She'll be taken to recovery to come round and make sure all is okay then the nurse will phone to day surgery and say that's her awake. The nurse usually will tell you and you'll walk round together. In my hospital parents aren't generally allowed in recovery but we go in collect the child and bring them out to mum and dad. This only takes a minute! If you're in day surgery they're expecting you to be in and out on the same day, which is fab :) try not to worry xx

Good luck for tomorrow. Hope you're home super quick xx

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately we got a call at 6am to say it had been cancelled! Have to wait for a new date now!

Oh no that's so rubbish. I'm really sorry! I hope you get another date quickly xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back