Cyst found on early scan

first-timerhello

Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife got an early scan today (8w0d). Heartbeat all ok :)

But they mentioned a ovary cyst at about 4.5 cm in diameter.

The MW said it wasn't anything to worry about and we have another scan booked at 10 weeks.

Any thoughts/experiences on this? Any input is appreciated!

:)

My friend had some cysts removed b4 she fell pregnant then they found another on her early pregnancy scan,it was nothing to worry about,I think they just monitored the size of it etc x

I'm not sure why they do this.....they often make people worry when there's no need.

When you ovulate before conception you are always left with a corpus luteum cyst - this produces the HCG hormone that sustains the pregnancy to start with till the placenta grows and kicks in. I imagine that's the cyst they are talking about. They told me the same thing and I was really concerned....only to have a private scan where the sonographer explained the concept of a corpus luteum cyst to me and said that they really should either not mention it or explain it properly.

Merv's mum is right they really should either explain it better or not mention it, i ended up getting more info from the net than the hospital! They're often nothing to worry about. I had one burst on me at 6 weeks which caused some pain and bleeding but it hasnt caused any harm to the baby

I also had a small visable one which they monitored again a couple of weeks later and it wasn't growing and so they wasnt concerned anymore - here i am at almost 25 wks and forgotten all about it!

I had one with my last pregnancy on an early scan and it was gone by the time I had my 20 week one so nothing to worry about

Thanks everyone for their feedback. To be fair to the MW she said that other places wouldn't even mention about cyst.

I had a cyst which was discovered on a scan after I had my son. They're usually nothing to worry about and can stay there doing nothing for ages. Very often they'll be reabsorbed by the body but sometimes they can grow very big and get really painful. Especially if they burst. If she get any pain from it she's best to see a doctor but chances are it will have gone by your next scan.

Cysts can be worrying if you dont know about them.. But as everyone has said, they are normal, every woman gets them, all the damn time, most are reabsorbed or burst without even being noticeable, Occasionally one in a funny place can cause a little pain, But its utterly bearable, im very prone to nasty cysts, and the worse pain I had was no worse than a minor stitch. And my MW assured me that they wont interfere with baby atall :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back