cutting back on the food shop

I like asda but find the dates are short on products and they go off quite quick ( I m rubbish at using stuff up!) but loving the tips ladies! :)

I know I haven't Been there in ages! Last time it was about the same as tesco and decided might as well stay with tesco because of the club card, but think I'll be giving them another go! X

My mum came round today and she'd done a big shop for us :love: absolute hero! We've got a fridge full of meat 5kg of rice and 3kg of pasta, jars of sauces. Loads of veg too and lunchbox fillers like rocky bars. Oh I swear I nearly cried with joy! We've just got to buy fruit and milk tomorrow :yay:

Thanks all. Will be going back and giving asda a try shortly! X

I know it's further for you but Southgate Asda is alright really, honest!

We're managing to buy £80 one week and £40 the next alternatively, to top up lunches and fresh bits for three of us (Me, OH & Flatmate), so an average £60 per week :)

We split up all our meat for freezing. We buy bags and bags of frozen peas, sweetcorn, carrots and cauliflower and frozen mince, all Asda own brands, lasts ages and great for filling out meals :)

OMG!!! Nothing to do with the topic here but I used to live in Oakwood!!! Went to DeBohun School, don't know if you know it? ;-) x

Last edited:
My mum came round today and she'd done a big shop for us :love: absolute hero! We've got a fridge full of meat 5kg of rice and 3kg of pasta, jars of sauces. Loads of veg too and lunchbox fillers like rocky bars. Oh I swear I nearly cried with joy! We've just got to buy fruit and milk tomorrow :yay:

aaawww, lovely Mummy :) x

That's lovely! Mums are great. Mine just booked n payed my ticket home, its £160 just for ryanair. N double that to get to my island. I shared a tear aswell!
We have to remember to do the same for our kids :love:

This thread had made me depressed about how much we spend :-( we usually go to sainsburys on a Sunday and spent £60ish. I then pop to tesco about 3 times a week and spend £15 a time.

I need cheap meals!!

If you can afford to spend that though Erin then don't be depressed about it. Maybe switch a few items round to see a if it makes a price difference for you? Go for value or own brand rather than the main brands? Baked beans for example... personally I really see no major difference in value to heinz apart from a little extra sauce in the value ones... also, rice and pasta etc.... is there REALLY a difference in an "expensive brand pasta or rice" than there is in a value/own brand???

Also, I read a massive article in a newspaper a few years back that said that the only difference between the supermarket value food and their "own" brand (prettier packaging) was literally that - the packaging. :shock:

It's amazing how we are managing on splitting the meat down. I normally have a 450g pack of mince to make a shepherds pie for the two of us but last night I made the same meal with a 3rd of an 800g pack! It was still just as nice, just as filling and still plenty of food! It's amazing to think how much we have overeaten on the meat front in the past!

The recession sucks bigtime... but oh how it is making us learn to change our ways... and for me I do find that a good thing food wise... especially when we are trying to lose a few lbs too!

Still trying to see if we can get our bill even lower though. We are spending around £200 per month on the supermarket shop. Having said that, that is including nappies/toiletries and baby milk + pudding jars of food :) xx

This thread had made me depressed about how much we spend :-( we usually go to sainsburys on a Sunday and spent £60ish. I then pop to tesco about 3 times a week and spend £15 a time.

I need cheap meals!!

last week we spent £140 online with tesco, including baby milk and some jars. after about 4 days there was no meat left and we had veggie dinners, pasta etc for the rest of the week..... im really trying to cut down but its sooooo hard!!!!! in the last few days ive been to sainsburys, spent £30, and yesterday we spend £20 on a takeaway as there was nothing left to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(

my oh is celiac and its cost a fortune for gluten free products!!!! £2 a loaf of bread £2 a bag of pasta (and he could get through 2 or 3 bags a week easy!) arghhhh.

If I do bologneise I do a lot n use the leftovers for pasta bake a couple of days later.
Porridge is cheap n prob the helthiest breakfast
Serve your Lo whatever you eat, don't waste money on baby porridge, n babyfood, baby youghurts.
Soup, spinach soup is yummy n cheap m very healthy.
Rice noodles 1 pound n some vegs, a bag is 1 pound. Just add some curry paste n coconutmilk, chilies n ginger.
chickpeas n lentils in fried rice, Maggie liquid (love it) n begs is sooo nice.

I need cheap meals!!

last week we spent £140 online with tesco, including baby milk and some jars. after about 4 days there was no meat left and we had veggie dinners, pasta etc for the rest of the week..... im really trying to cut down but its sooooo hard!!!!! in the last few days ive been to sainsburys, spent £30, and yesterday we spend £20 on a takeaway as there was nothing left to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(

my oh is celiac and its cost a fortune for gluten free products!!!! £2 a loaf of bread £2 a bag of pasta (and he could get through 2 or 3 bags a week easy!) arghhhh.

We spent 120 in Asda on Tuesday, I spent 30 in sainsburys n we spent 50 goin out for a meal yesterday!
We got food tho for 9days still x

I need cheap meals!!

aaawww hunni... I'll have a word with my MIL this afternoon and get back to you on it but I know there is a website that she uses to "bulk buy" on gluten and wheat free produce... bread and pasta etc etc... It's alot cheaper for her to buy off there than in the supermarket so would be assuming it would be cheaper for you to buy from there too for your OH? xx

I need cheap meals!!

aaawww hunni... I'll have a word with my MIL this afternoon and get back to you on it but I know there is a website that she uses to "bulk buy" on gluten and wheat free produce... bread and pasta etc etc... It's alot cheaper for her to buy off there than in the supermarket so would be assuming it would be cheaper for you to buy from there too for your OH? xx

oh thanks that would be great!!!!

he LOVES pasta (typical italian) lol, but one bag will last like 2 meals lol!!! i feel bad cos i always buy biscuits and cake for me nom nom.. and he's like... "what did you get me?".... 2 sponge puddings are like £3!!!!! its ridiculous!!!

ok.... so i just did my online shop...... cut it down as much as i could, no goodies etc and it came to the grand total of £110 including delivery!!! omg.

in that though i have: 2 packs of diced lamb, 2 packs of diced chicken breast, i pack of chicken wings & thighs, 1 massive pack of mince. i can freeze most of that and split the meat and hopefully do some batch cooking... i got some corned beef so can do corned beef hash & freeze... cottage pie... and freeze half... bolognese... hopefully next weeks shop will be around £30 just topping up fresh food and veg. oo i did get some of lo's milk in that shop too. eeek dont wanna tell OH! he'll find out soon enough when he gets his bank statement!!! LOL.

ouchie... can you not by chicken breast and cut up yourself? same with lamb? might be a little cheaper that way hun? I used to hate touching raw meats but I just had to learn to get through those few minutes! more often than not though i never actually "touch the meat" lol use a knife AND fork haha ;-) xxx

ouchie... can you not by chicken breast and cut up yourself? same with lamb? might be a little cheaper that way hun? I used to hate touching raw meats but I just had to learn to get through those few minutes! more often than not though i never actually "touch the meat" lol use a knife AND fork haha ;-) xxx

i usually do that! they were on offer though & it worked out cheaper than 2 packs of the non-diced stuff if you get me!!! lol..... i use a knife & fork too!!! goes right through me!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back