cutting back on the food shop

titch

Reaction score
Like everyone at the minute we are really having to squeeze hard to make ends meet, Ive been thinking about the food bill and wondering if I could cook cheaper meals? I need ideas though, corned beef hash springs to mind, I cant think of anything else, baked beans are probably gonna feature heavily too! One sticking point is that I cant bear to eat heavily processed meats, it literally makes me gag. I dont really like sausages cos of it, so cheap ham is out, I need ideas for cheap sandwich fillers :flower:

Are you into pasta Tiny? I always get loadssss of meals from it and it's cheap as chips and quick to make..

Sandwich filler, banana, peanut butter, jam, cheese and pickle, corned beef and brown sauce, ham and salad, any leftover chicken from dinners or anything else could be put in, mixed up with some grated cheese and mayo x

Egg mayo! Get the shops own mayo and you can get 6 free range eggs (if your into that :p ) for less than a £1. Can't beat it :)

Also, Ive not brought meat for about 3 weeks now, because I brought in bulk. I got 1800g of mince beef for £6 I believe and divided this into 4 and wrapped them in cling film for the freezer. I also brought turkey (cheaper than chicken but tastes the same) and opened the package and froze the breats seperatly. I did the same with sausages too but you dont like them so its irrelivant :)

We've been trying to cut back too. I eat lots of jacket potatoes with different fillings - cheese, beans, tuna etc etc. I also use quorn/vege mince sometimes instead of real mince, not sure if thats cheaper but it is healthier :lol: veggie pasta, veggie fried rice - basically we buy a lot less meat as that's what puts the price up! Frozen veggies are sometimes cheaper too - and they obviously last a lot longer.

Oooh thanks! Some good ideas! Melio I just froze a massive pack of mince :doh: shouldve separated it up first!

So we'll have pasta one night, jacket potatoes with beans and veg fried rice. I can't be doing corned beef :sick: but I like the idea of peanut butter and banana sandwiches :yay:

Jacket potatoes are great, I love them when they are wrapped in tin foil and put in the charcoal on a bbq, they taste so much better!

What about making pizzas from scratch? x

Go on Homeprides website they have guidelines for a pasta bake, you literally fire the sauce, pasta and water into the oven and wait x

we have lots of pasta/rice/mince based meals.
we have spag bol, chilli con carne, curry and rice, carbonara, lasagne, homemade soup is always good and a good way of using up any veggies hanging about

can't really add anymore than what the others have said other than cottage/shepherds pie (never really did know the real difference lol) and risotto??? xx

i think the key is making from scratch and not usig much meat. For me and other half we will only use one chicken breast and pad out the meals with veggies. Especially frozen veg which is cheaper, lasts longer and is more convenient!!
xxx

We buy whole chickens when they are on sale we can have a roast from it one day and then it does sandwiches then when its just the carcass left we boil it up with veg and spuds and make soup.

i love the pound shop! i tend to get all my household supplies from there, they are the best brands but for 99p! i got for £6:

2 morning fresh washing up liquids for 99p
dettol surface spray
cif bathroomo cleaner
sponges and dusters
pledge
andrex

they also have a great baby section, i got a big bottle of johnsons baby shampoo which will last me forever for 99p!!

i buy tesco value everything! its just as good! i divide the mince, or bulk cook, so say from one pack of mince i get 4 portions of chilli or spag bol... so 2 dinners.... i also made my own burgers (got ideas from ladies on here) from a pack of tesco value mince about £1.50 i got 6 burgers, we have 4 in the freezer! i also tend to buy chicken thighs and legs rather than breasts... they are cheaper and deffo alot tastier! roast them or wack them in a casserole!

we eat alot of pasta too! i make all my own sauces...
we have pasta with pesto (a jar will last a while)
pasta with tomatoes... made with one tin of tesco value chopped toms, garlic an oil.. reduced to half. yum.

i also bulk food out... like rice salad you can add anything to it i do it with rice, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, tuna, onion, bit of red pepper and some thousand isalnd dressing. i make a big tub and it will last afew days in the fridge, ideal for packed lunches! i also make it with cold cooked pasta too! and i buy tesco value frozen veg, broccoli, mixed veg, sweetcorn etc. it lasts longer and is cheap and at leastit doesnt go off after a few days!!!!

if we didnt eat meat i dont think we would spend half as much as we do on food, its ridiculous how prices have increased! sorry i have babbled on!!! lol.

oh last thing lol.. if you do shopping online with tesco you can browse all the special offers first like bogof, 2 for 1, etc etc. it does help you save a bit!

good luck!!! =))

pasta bake, tuna is cheap and soo healthy

because its only me oh and madison i usually make 2 days dinners at once lol and just nuke next day , saves on oven etc too , i always use steam fresh veg also in asda 4 bags for £1 , 2 bags does all of us :) and if im making a pasta dish ill always put on too much and let some go cold and make a cold pasta for following days lunch too xxx

I get the 3 for £10 meat and divide it all up.

Mince we split into 3. Chicken breasts in 2's and beef we split in half.
I do a lot of stews a real cheapie is what we call scouse but it is so nice and so cheap to make

Stewing Beef
Onion
Carrots
Turnip
Potato

Brown the beef in water in a large saucepan add the onion and once browned add veggies and top up with water to cover the veg. Simmer for about an hour or until when you are ready for it.

Plate it up and add some ketchup or brown sauce and bread to dip in. Cheap as chips but filling and yummy.

Well I think I'm doing quite well. My mum bought us 2 800g packs of mince so I've frozen one and the other I used half to make a load of mince beef hash, 3 portions, one we ate last night and there are 2 dishes of it in the freezer :cheer: the other half I'm gonna make a bolognase tonight and bulk it out with veg. I'm quite proud how far I made it stretch, there's no need to buy meat next week. Such a relief!

We buy whole chickens when they are on sale we can have a roast from it one day and then it does sandwiches then when its just the carcass left we boil it up with veg and spuds and make soup.

We buy whole chickens and use it for 2 meals rather than forking out for just breasts.

Our cats get the carcasses though, keeps them happy lol

Also Tiny, if you have left overs (I mean if you've made too much to eat) stick it in a pot and then in the freezer once it's cooled for another day! x

Do u freeze ur bread Tiny? I have started doing this as I was wasting so much, I put 4 slices in a bag and stick them in, you can toast from frozen but I take some out the night before if I'm wanting it for sandwiches the nezt day, lidl had 2 big loafs for £1 x

Do u freeze ur bread Tiny? I have started doing this as I was wasting so much, I put 4 slices in a bag and stick them in, you can toast from frozen but I take some out the night before if I'm wanting it for sandwiches the nezt day, lidl had 2 big loafs for £1 x

Keeping bread and veg in the fridge keeps it alot longer too ;-) I have been conducting my own experiments hehe. If and when I have bread I will only really eat braces. In the bread bin lasts about 5 days if you make a contious effort to tie bag back up properly! In the fridge... 7-10 days!!! Veg... usual suspects like carrots, parsnips etc usually go off in 2-3 days max... in the fridge... still fine to use almost a week later sometimes longer if you've got a "good batch".

Oh, and potatoes... especially for mash purposes... don't throw potatoes away that are sprouting!!! I'm forever telling my parents off for that. The potato is still fine once peeled!!! xx

Last edited:
yeah I do freeze bread, especially when theres an offer life 2 for £1 but I freeze the whole loaf, makes a lot more sense to freeze it in portions :roll: Im so thick sometimes! we always freeze leftovers too, we dont do ready meals so its nice to be able to microwave some bolognase from the freezer if we're busy.

I'm really struggling with the shopping too. One box of nappies, baby wipes and milk alone are costing us about 20 quid every 8/9 days!
We have really cut down our meat, but I won't stop buying it because I think my daughter especially needs some.
We get as much as we can on offers, don't buy snacks. Buy as much own brand as we can.
Yet the minimum spend is still £75?!?!
I wouldn't mind but every week before we get to check out we make sure we only have essentials etc, but still!!
This is getting ridiculous! Were away for basically 2 weeks now, (1 booked he's ago and te second I booked about a month ago so that I could go and see my nab who ended up dying 2 weeks after I booked and paid!)
But we don't even have money to pay all our bills!! Ive had to borrow money from the kids to cover bills, and amazingly te in laws said they'll give us euros for Ireland. Thank Christ, but that shouldn't be too bad coz we stay with family.

But every month just seems to get worse. I sort out all our money, and by the time I'd paid rent, council tax and a few oter things, there was 150 pounds left from m partners wages!!
Was lterally in tears the other night.
Sorry tiny, completely took over!! An kinda went of on one.
But yeah. Any ideas who is the cheapest?!? We go with tesco. Do u think they are good value? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back