Crisis of confidence

CARNAT22

Reaction score
It dawned on me today I don't have a clue what I am doing??

Well we went to have a play around with the Chameleon earlier and I couldn't work the bloody thing :shock: :shock:

Even with the guy showing me I couldn't even open the frame?? It took me about 4 goes and I was nearly in tears but that point!!! We were in the middle of a very busy John Lewis and I was all trembling lips and watering eyes....

Today was meant to be a happy day and the fact I couldn't work the frigging pram made me feel so stupid and totally ill prepared. I mean if I cannot work the pram how can I possibly look after a newborn????

That totally deflated me and I was wondering around John Lewis and Mothercare with a credit card and no clue what to buy my own baby???

The few things I did definately want I couldn't find.

Felt so crap had to go and have a Macdonalds.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Don't feel crap :hugs:
I'm into baby number 5 and still don't have a clue.
I've never been able to work any pram I've ever owned lol
You'll be fine, it's normal to feel the way you do :hugs: x

Don't worry it took me several attempts to work out folding the pram and putting the darn thing up. As for not knowing what to do, well I'd not had much experience of babies before having one but honestly instinct just kicks in. You will know what your baby needs better than anyone else, it's all just a learning curve for new mummies. Plus of course PF is a great source for getting advise! You'll do just fine :) x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2

Awwww hun, I have had moments like this!!

I got totally overwhelmed trying to buy nappies. I couldn't figure out which ones to buy and what size etc and ended up on the verge of tears and then ran away from them and went home!!

There's another similar thread I've just replied on, and it seems like lots of ladies feel exactly the same way. Having a baby is a really big deal and I am sure it is comletely normal to feel overwhelmed and doubtful. I know I do!!

I can hand rear puppies and kittens and also what turned out to be a newborn baby fox with no problems!! My own species however and I am like...:shock:

It will all be fine hun. Might take a short while to get into the swing of things but if everyone else can bring up baby, then so can we!!!

XX

Aww Hun,

Sorry you had a poo time with the buggy, you'll get the hang of it when you get it home!:)

I've made a wish list on John Lewis and I'm doing it bit by bit, I did cot mattress and buggy this week and I'm gonna do car seat and base next week.

I got the Chameleon all black, they were quite good demonstrating, anything white does something so if you remember that it should work out ok.

Any excuse for a Maccys!!:lol:

xx

It gets the better of all of us i think. I have no clue about prams, carseats, cots...anything! My only saving grace is that my OH has done it all before (they are all grown up now) so he knows how to work the stuff lol

Downfall of him doing it before... petrified he's going to tell me i'm doing everything wrong :(

Hi Hun, we went to try prams today and I couldn't work them either. Not helped by dh smirking at me so I went and bought lots of baby grows instead which made me feel better cos I also felt totally overwhelmed by it all xx

Thanks ladies,

I have turned into a right whinge bag this weekend :shock:

I feel a bit better now as some of the stuff I couldn't find I have now located online.

Also the cotbed (and all the stuff that goes with that) is going to be ordered at a later date so that is something less to worry about... We'll use a crib to begin with!

I will get my sister to come with me next time, she has two little one's and is just itching to get me "organised".

When I got home I was telling the cat if only I was giving birth to a kitten I'd know what to do :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't worry hun we all feek like this at some point! 1st time round, when I was in the postnatal ward, I had to call the midwife to show me how to change and feed my DD as I didn't have a clue. And I've had several moments of panic during this pregnancy thinking, 'OMG I don't know what to with a newborn!' bx

I had a simillar experience today too! We went to look at a Mama and Papa's outlet near us and there was nothing in it, on the way home we went past toys r us so popped in for a nosy in the baby bit, started trying to get a car seat off a buggy, my OH could do it fine, the sales assistant could do it fine... I couldn't get the damn thing off, standing to either side of it and in front of it.

I got really upset and declared myself too short to be able to use it, then the sales assistant said all their buggies were like that, making me thing I'd never be able to work one!

We left with me feeling really upset, went into Mama's and Papa's proper store where a lovely assistant helped us and I managed to fold down two buggies without help! Have fallen in love with the red sola.

Aww don't be disheartened! I can never work prams, i swear i nearly lost a finger in one many years ago lol.
A newborn is something natural that you'll have instincts and amazing capabilities to deal with whereas prams and whatnot are just evil and in no way natural. They are not designed to be obvious and self explanatory. I know babies aren't either but I hope you know what I'm trying to get at...
We all have little crisis of confidence moments, I'll have no idea what I'll be doing at all and I'm just hoping it'll come together if I'm organised enough.
You will be brilliant, and everyone needs a McDonald's sometimes :)
Don't be hard on yourself! x

Try not to worry nowadays prams are far more complicated than baby's really !!, I tried for 20 minutes, infront of a full audience outside Tesco's the other week , to fold my Zia pushchair in the end I was in such a state I threw it in the back seat and drove off I was so embarrassed I cried all the way home .xx

Last edited:
awww hun you will be amazing when baby is here as others have said instinct kicks in and tbh I have had a go with pur pram well taking the carrycot bit off haveny actually put the frame up or down might just leave that to a when I can play about with it when noone around lol ....thats not to say im not severely shitting myself about the whole first time mum thing as Ive not had much to do with babies either and work colleagues making me nervous round about them did not help in the slightest so I kind of distanced myself from then on but have got back into handling babies now

Hubby and I are taking MIL with us shopping today just to get an idea of what we still need as essentials but I do still have all the other worries of what if i dont know what minion wants when they are crying/what if i dont feed them enough/what if i dont know how hot or cold they are but on the other hand I cant wait for minion to be here so instint can kick in xxxxxx

Aww that sounds horrible - poor you! I haven't been buggy shopping yet, but it does seem very overwhelming and complicated. And that's just choosing! Then you have to work the damn things. Sounds like it became a metaphor for all your insecurities about motherhood (totally normal for first time mums!).

Glad you're feeling better. Remember you have heaps of time before you need all this done. Take it one step at a time.

Xx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies,

I feel a bit better today - I have ordered the bits I couldn't find online and my SIL (who has the pram I want) has assured me I can turf my nephew out and have a play with hers... She is also on-hand if we need help putting the thing together to begin with... which of course we will :lol:

I was surprised as to how overwhelming it all was??? I have some time off in August and I'll take my sister shopping with me, she'll organise my life bless her!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Awe Nat - don't worry.

The way I see it is our LO are learning at the same time as us. They haven't done this before either. Granted they wont have to stress about folding buggies etc but I bet after a few attempts you master the art of pram origami!!! :) Thats what I am telling myself anyway.

People say its the most natural thing in the world and Im trying to be confident about it. Your like me and have family with LO's who will be more than happy to help if we get into that crisis.

I 'made' my OH feed my 8 month old baby nephew on Saturday. He's only held a baby once before so he really needs to get to grips with this quick. He did look a bit uncomfortable but in the end they totally bonded over a bottle of milk. Maybe the next time he can progress to a nappy LOL!!!

Hope your feeling a bit better today. xxxx

Sorry you got abit stressed, im sure we will all feel like that at some point, its only natural. I think the thing that scares me the most is when I get baby home from the hospital, will i know what to do! Im sure we will look back when our babys are a few months old and think - yeh im a good mum what was i thinking! xxx

You can watch online demonstration videos to show you how to use it, that's what I've done for mine. I need to watch a video on how to do the car seat still, that's worrying me at the moment but going to get OH to watch and do it with me! x

I think some of these prams need a degree! I'm desperate for a proper play of mine. I took my mum to get a shot of the one we have picked in store, so she got used to it as I can imagine getting phone calls from the shopping Center saying she any get it down! Haha!
Your sis sounds lovely to want to help... :)
But when you think about it, unless you have kids why would you know half of these things?!?
Haha!
Iv decided that me and this baby will just have to learn with each other, and hopefully it won't be long till I work out what the wee thing likes and doesn't like.
Don't be hard on yourself tho!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back