Crib/Cot/Moses Basket?

Rachey

Reaction score
I don't quite know what I'm supposed to use lol!

It's early days but just trying to get an idea of what I need.

My Mum's friend has a crib which her baby never settled in so has hardly been used, she says we can have it :D I thought if I just get a new matress, bedding etc then that will be fine?

Will buy a moses basket too to have beside the bed, and so it's easier to take into the livingroom than what a crib would be!

Do I need a cot too? I know I will at somepoint but is baby ok in the crib for the first few months? xxx

I don't know but i'm getting a moses basket and i've got my cot xxx

Oh have you got it :) that's exciting! I'm ecited to get the bedding for them lol! Have you got yours? I was thinking either a cot and moses basket, or moses basket and crib would do for the first 3/4 months xxx

Last edited:
No haven't got the bedding yet but you just reminded me lol...i was thinking, what do people do. Have the moses basket downstairs for baby and then baby goes it cot at night upstairs? I'm clueless lol xxx

One of my friends is giving me there Moses basket so just gonna get a new mattress for it. My mum and step dad are buying me a cotbed, with a changer on top and a mattress.
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol that's the bit I'm excited for! I love the 'i love my bear' theme :D

Wwell the cot would stay in the room but I suppose you could move the moses basket about? Have it beside your bed at night and if your in the livingroom during the day bring it down? Their light enough to do that anyway. Maybe I'm talking rubbish I'm clueless too! LOL xxx

The cotbed sounds great pinky. I think moses baskets are so cute when bubz is little, just cause their so wee and dinky like baby lol xxx

When I had Joseph, we just had a Moses basket for a few weeks with a stand. I kept it next to our bed at night & then would bring it downstairs during the day. They're so light weight they are easy to move around. I wouldn't by a crib, I!d stick to cot & Moses basket. But if someone gave me a crib I would use that at night & Moses basket during the day until little one outgrows it.

Sunnyb x

yeah...do people not put newborns in cots? do they just use the moses basket? sorry if i'm being thick lol i've got alot to learn xxx

It's not recommended to put a newborn in a cot, not until they are about 6 months.

We'll be using a Moses basket downstairs and one upstairs. We have a cot set up for when it outgrows it's basket (daughter was in the cot at 4 months because she was so long).

My son is 6 weeks old and as of this week is in his big cot in his own room. He sleeps like a star fish and just hated his Moses basket and crib. Now he's sleeping loads better. I kind of feel bad about it because they say 6 months in the room with you. I spoke to the health visitor today and she reassured me that I know my baby best and if it's working to not feel bad about it. I have a video monitor to watch him and find myself waking at every tiny noise. I'm still knackered because I'm constantly checking him but he is so much happier and more refreshed from sleeping longer I think it's worth it.

If anyone offers you a crib/Moses basket for free then snap their hand off!

Mate, I've got all 3!! Lol! Moses basket stand is downstairs at the moment, and crib also downstairs, then the Moses basket sits in my cot next to my bed so I'd she sleeps in that for Te fist few months it's small enough to going cot then at least she can sleep in cot after. Ive only got all of them because they've all been given to me! Lol. The cool thing is if she falls asleep downstairs in Moses basket I can just carry it upstairs. Not too sure where the crib comes into the equation though! My grandparents have lent it to me soni feel bad saying I don't really need it, but a bit late now. I'll just out it in living room and use it during the day I think. Lol. X

I think it's just that a tiny newborn looks so so small in a big cot and they will probably prefer a smaller secure environment. Plus, in a Moses basket you don't have to worry about the "feet to foot" position or blankets going over their head because they can't really wriggle anywhere. So I suppose it's the safety aspect too. Entirely your choice though, loads of people use cots from day 1 x

I think it's just that a tiny newborn looks so so small in a big cot and they will probably prefer a smaller secure environment. Plus, in a Moses basket you don't have to worry about the "feet to foot" position or blankets going over their head because they can't really wriggle anywhere. So I suppose it's the safety aspect too. Entirely your choice though, loads of people use cots from day 1 x

I disagree completely. That's why I've had to put him in the big cot. He started putting his feet on the sides of the Moses basket and kicking to the top. He grew out of it so quickly.

Yeah I think once they grow out f it, cot it is! It's all very well them wanting a secure place to sleep and whatever, but there will come a time when they want space and be able to spread out and stuff. X

I used a moses basket for both of my previous 2. I had 2 stands (one upstairs & one downstairs that could be folded up & put out of the way). My 1st child went in the cot at about 4months old.

With my 2nd child I done the same for a few weeks and then I put her in the cot during the day in the nursery & then in the moses next to me at night. She was in her cot at night at roughly 3months at a guess.

Mine couldnt have spent much longer in the moses basket due to outgrowing it. I don't think there is a safetly issue with a baby being in a cot from birth as long as you do feet to foot & have the sheets tucked in properly.

If you want you can get a cot divider that you adjust as your baby gets bigger to make the length of the cot exactly how you want it. And if you have a winter baby then the grobags are exellent as long as you have the right tog rating for the room temperature. ;)

my son lasted in his crib only a 7-8 weeks to due to the way he slept. Like rayoflight said he was long and arms were spread open.. I was just going to buy a cot this time round and use that from start but then started to change my mind incase this baby is smaller than my son. Il prob buy a crib til he goes in the cot x

Think I will just stick to the moses basket for the first wee while then! Will take the crib too since I am being given it anyway :) and get a cot when it's needed! It's really interesting to see how all your babys prefered different things(moses basket cot etc) and how it can make such a difference to how long and well they're sleeping! The idea of having 2 stands, 1 upstair and 1 downstair is great x

on my ds because id given away all my baby stuff (didnt think id have another child lol) we bought a moses basket for bedroom and crib for downstairs then left buying the cot till we needed it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back