Could LO have a reflux problem?

Moofa

Reaction score
Hi

I can't wind Alban very well and it takes DH ages to wind him too. The HV had a go last week and couldn't get a burp up either and gave up. Due to me not winding him he brings up loads of formula at every feed but he even brings up formula when DH manages to wind him. The HV says he could be a 'sicky baby' and would like to keep on an eye on how much weight he is gaining, he put on 5oz in 10 days last time.

However I was wondering if in fact he could have a reflux problem, as he still brings up milk when he is winded and sometimes even after being proped up for 10 minutes but when laid back down he still brings up stuff.

What do you think, or any advice?

It is getting me down as so far today we are on our 3rd sleep suit, 3rd bib, 2nd crib sheet and 3rd muslim cloth :wall: :wall:

Mxxx

Could be but it might be worthwhile trying something like infacol first. If he's having trouble bringing wind up this often helps - it makes the smaller bubbles into one big one and it's easier for them to burp it up. The milk could possibly be just getting brought up with the wind.

If that doesn't help then go see your GP (HVs aren't always the best of help with these things as I found out and will often fob you off). :hug:

I agree, try infacol... OR your LO is old enuff to try gripe water, but that was all to fiddly for us, so I cant comment. Infacol worked good tho! Makes their burpies smell of orange too! he he

How do you wind him? Have you tried over your knee? You may need to experiment with different positions as best you can for winding.

I'd try Infacol in the first instance before each feed.

Reflux usually has definate symptoms of pain and discomfort and if your LO is otherwise happy during and after feeds it may well not be reflux (silent reflux is a different matter).

Deffo try Infacol, it worked great for us, Eva has silent relfux but was also quite sickiy in the early days, its hard work when you both need a change of clothes after every feed! :hug:

OH AND GIVE THE INFACOL A TRY FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE YOU DECIDE IF IT HELPS AS IT HAS AN ACCUMULATIVE EFFECT, sorry for the caps oops :lol:

Calum was bad at parting with his wind to, tried everything from stoping him feeding to wind by rubbing back, patting him, rolling him round in a circle from waist, over my shoulder, lefting him up from my lap slowly streaching his body and still it didnt work. So i started to pay alot more attention to his feeding habit and also by the feel of his tummy, if his tummy was hard he needed winding, if the top of his lip was going blueish he needed winding, if he was trying to tell me he wants winding he either pushes the bottle out with his tounge, or milk is coming more than normal out the side/s of his mouth. Hospital said to me if his tounge is at the roof of his mouth then he needs winding. I have tried Infocol it does work sometimes but do find it harder sometimes when we've used it. Place a folded towel or cloth to place his head on so if abit sicky you dont have to change the sheets, i found this really useful at the begining. Good Luck and hop it gets better for you soon.

Hi

I tried Infacol before but it seems to make him bring up his milk even more. I struggle to wind him because I can't really use my right arm. I was laying him across my tummy to wind him but this only very occassionally works :wall: :wall:

I may go and get some gripe water later but I feel that I am spending out on stuff that isn't really helping. We have 2 half used bottles of other stuff that didn't work

Mx

We found Infacol made Connie sicker too.

Sounds like it could be reflux - go and buy some Infant Gaviscon over the counter at a pharmacy (they will ask you if it's been recommended, lie and say yes by HV, wish we'd done this it would have saved us 2 months of pain for Connie) - if it works you'll know it's reflux! If it makes no difference then just don't use it any more!!

No harm done!

xx

Agree with the Gaviscon... worth a shot, we tried it.

Tho you may want to tell them that your LO is 2 years old, as really its prescription only and one boots wouldnt sell it to me, even tho I said I was waiting for my repeat prescription and just needed a pack to tide over - Silly Moooooo!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back