Could do with some advice pleeease..

katie05

Reaction score
o.k so after an awful night i think it may be time to say goodbye to my little girls dummy. I was us at least 7 times last night and not just disrupting me but waking my hubby and little boy too :(
She is 20 weeks now and has a dummy but only for nap times in the day and i dont give it to her when she goes to bed-she goes awake and settles herslf then. BUT then the fun starts and its getting progressively worse.

Soo..do you think it has to go? Thing is shes just getting over being ill so should i wait?

Also, do you think its possible to keep dummy for day but not night?

Im hoping someone has some advice or positive outcomes on this. No wonder sleep deprivatrion was a source or torture..im miserable today :(

i dont think u can have have a dummy day and not at night myself i tried that with my first it could just be with ur lil one been ill but try the dummy at night if you dont want to do that dont give it in the day because lil one wont understand why she has it sometimes to comfort her in the day and not at night your taking her comfort away its like if u lay a certain way in bed then suddenly someone said no u carnt do that then u will be disturbed and unsettled.
hope i have helped :)

My Lo used to have a dummy (ditched it a few weeks ago) at first she had it for all her sleeps then after a while I noticed that when I put her back to bed in the middle of the night after a feed I wasn't putting it in and she would go back to sleep without it...so I stopped giving it to her at night and she didn't notice. Her daytime sleeping isn't so good so I couldn't imagine getting rid of it in the day...I thought she needed it to get to sleep, but when she got a cold and couldn't breathe with it in I was forced to wean her off it (it was hard work but worth it)

Anyway...the answer to your question is yes they can have it for day and not night...we did it for a couple of months no problem.

No problem, so long as you dont mind two nights disturbed - which lets be honest its not like you are getting 12hours now!!

Just take it away. Wake up in the morning, and give her no dummy. Throw them away... I used abit of CC in the night the 1st night, he was fine really after that one go... Dont give in, cuddle, walk, do whatever you have to but supply no dummy, after 48hours she will have forgotten that she every had one in the 1st place!! babies look so much cuter when they dont have a big dummy sticking out of their face!! :D

Oh dear, to dummy or not to dummy - that is the question! It is a difficult one, my two older kids had dummies, ditched them during the day at the age of one (just didnt give it to them) and at the age of two, took them away completely. But, my youngest refused the dummy thing from the start and now she sucks two fingers if she is sleepy. Dunno what is worse, cos a dummy you can remove - cant really cut off her dabs when she gets a bit older, can I? :wall:
Advantages to NOT having a dummy? no getting up to return the offensive little thing - Ani has slept through from a very early age :lol: - the others didnt until they were much older!

Lisa

.. Corey has found his thumb...!! Still, it looks cute I guess!

Thanks for your replies it really helps though last night never went as planned. She had no dummy in the day-went to bed at 7 ok then it went like this..

woke at 12 and i let her cry but went it every 5 min to stroke her face-took 35 mins

woke at 1.30 did the same again..took similar time

woke at 3ish-did it again and felt mean :(

woke at 4.30 at which point hubby said just give her the bloody dummy and i lay there feeling like an awful mum so i gave her it and she slept till 7.

So i failed at the first hurdle..feel sorry for my son too even though he managed to sleep through it all last night.

I just donr know what to do for the best :( :(

TBH if you want to ditch it for nighttime you just have to tough it out for a couple of nights. Caving at 4am is a natural thing when tired but in the long run a couple of nights of crappy sleep over possibly weeks or months in the future...... tell your OH to wear some ear plugs and sleep elsewhere if he can't handle it for a couple of nights.

FWIW around 5 months old is when object permanence develops. Before then LO might miss the dumm y for 24 hours, maybe a bit longer but after that should forget about it. Once past that age and if the association of it is formed it can be much harder to ditch it.

Try giving a muslin square for LO to cuddle up with (you can take it away before you go back to sleep once she is sleeping) and put on some soothing music or a mobile to help.

one thing my mum always said to me was you can take away a dummy you carnt take away a thumb my lil bro is proof of that he is 22 now and still sucks his thumb when he thinks noone is looking n he would kill me if he knew i wrote that :lol: :lol: :lol: my eldest loved her dummy then she got near nursary age so i told her the dummy fairy would come and take it away and she never has touch one since and she got lil treat

Sherlock said:
TBH if you want to ditch it for nighttime you just have to tough it out for a couple of nights. Caving at 4am is a natural thing when tired but in the long run a couple of nights of crappy sleep over possibly weeks or months in the future...... tell your OH to wear some ear plugs and sleep elsewhere if he can't handle it for a couple of nights.

FWIW around 5 months old is when object permanence develops. Before then LO might miss the dumm y for 24 hours, maybe a bit longer but after that should forget about it. Once past that age and if the association of it is formed it can be much harder to ditch it.

Try giving a muslin square for LO to cuddle up with (you can take it away before you go back to sleep once she is sleeping) and put on some soothing music or a mobile to help.

I would have thought that putting a muslin square with LO or music or a mobile is basicly doing the same thing as a dummy soothing the LO and that the LO will associate going to sleep with those things same as it would with a dummy perhaps am wrong but due to curcumstances me and hubby and my baby use to have to sleep in the front room b4 we moved now he is 7 months and he will no go to sleep or stay asleep unless the tv is on he has just associated tv with sleeping like i said i could be totally wrong sorry if so :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back