cot question

rach

Reaction score
hi all this might seem like a stupid question but did you sleep your babies straight in a cot or crib/moses basket first
reason i ask is i said when the twins arrive i was going to put them straight in cots to save the expense of having to buy 2 cribs as well as 2 cots and my friend was horrified said that because of the cot mattresses you shouldnt as they can die of cot death ive never heard of this and laughed and said that was ridiculous and she said one of her aunties babies had died and they said that was why :shock:
just wondered if there is any truth in any of this and what everyone else would do in my situation thanks xxxxxxxxx

aiden is in a moses basket, but we will probably move him to his cot about 2 months.

my friend had twins and put them straight into cots, although they were in scbu for a month first.. :hug:

That's nonsense about the cots - the only thing you have to do is make sure your LOs feet are touching the bottom so they can't wriggle under blankets. I know many people who've put their babies in cots from birth.

I would go for a crib, personally. The moses basket was great, loved it, but we've had less than 3 months use out of it. We managed to get a crib from OH's colleague because the cot won't fit in our room and we just had to get a new mattress. Why not try freecycle or look and see if there's an NCT sale in your area?

We put Willow into a moses basket but it was lent to us so we didnt have to buy one she was only in it for 6 weeks as she out grew it, if i didnt get given one i probably would have put willow straight in to a cot though.

people used to put their babies in cots all the time from birth, as long as you use the feet to foot position and have a mattress with air holes in it you should be fine hun

rem that programme following the 3 different ways to bring the kids up well didnt the ones who followed the strict one put thiers straight in cots, im sure if its dangerous they wouldnt have done that on TV :think:

I wouldnt bother with a moses basket, Chester was in his for 2 weeks! He loves his cot! We got a cotbed for him. My dads a twin and he and his brother slept in the same cot/bed til they were 5.

Were using a moses basket

But i see where your coming from with buying two, i wouldnt..

We have a crib but thats because there isn't enough space in our bedroom for a cot. Once she's too big for that she will be in her cot in her own room.

If we had the space we would have had the cot in our room from day one. We visited my family when she was 5 weeks old and slept in a cot for a week. As others have said, if their feet are at the bottom end of the cot it's not a problem.

Rach thats rubbish about cots, they all have breathable matresses now and are perfectly safe. Save yourself the expense hun and get cots, life os going to be expensive enough with twins! make life easier on your self!

I clicked crib just reading poll because thats what we are using but purely because of room and I like them did consider going straight to a cot, my Dad and Step mum have with my baby brother hes even gone straight into his own room, but would have to have it on other side of bedroom and want baby right near me so decided against it to start with. If I was in your situation I would definately go straight to cot to save some money I have never heard that it increases risk of cot death! If your worried why not double check with midwife I expect she will be able to put your mind at rest, why people feel the need to tell pregnant women all this rubish and scare them when they're pregnant without checking their facts is beyond me!!! :x

I agree, its rubbish about cots being dangerous for newborns!
Logan has a moses basket and hates it! He refuses to sleep in there, he's actually sleeping in my bed at the moment!

I would skip the moses basket and put them straight into cots.
In fact I would be tempted to tuck them up together in one cot to begin with seeing as they have been together in the womb.

DD has been in her cot from 4 or 5 weeks. I'm likely to put any more babies I have straight into their cot.

It isn't the cot mattress that poses a risk, it's using 2nd hand mattresses. I'm not sure why though :think:

There are many contributing factors to cot death but the bottom line is they don't know what causes it. They do know that since parents have been advised to sleep babies in the feet to foot position, not to overheat them and to sleep them on their back the numbers of babies dying has decreased dramatically. Although SIDS is commonly referred to as cot death it can happen anywhere - in a crib or even a car seat. But it is not likely so as long as you are following sensible suggestions, don't worry too much :hug:

I'm sorry about your friend's cousin :cry:

Like Muppetmummy our LO didn't like her moses basket at start hence I clicked other (co-sleeping) in a poll. She is fine now in whatever I put her in, but still sleeps best next to me...

I would save your money and just put them in cots if I was you. I think your pennies will be better spent else where :)

rach said:
hi all this might seem like a stupid question but did you sleep your babies straight in a cot or crib/moses basket first
reason i ask is i said when the twins arrive i was going to put them straight in cots to save the expense of having to buy 2 cribs as well as 2 cots and my friend was horrified said that because of the cot mattresses you shouldnt as they can die of cot death ive never heard of this and laughed and said that was ridiculous and she said one of her aunties babies had died and they said that was why :shock:
just wondered if there is any truth in any of this and what everyone else would do in my situation thanks xxxxxxxxx

wot tosh! nah just pop em in the cot...maybe together :) they will love that... the reason you are supposed to put babies in moses baskets instead of cots is that the moses basket is supposed to give them the feeling of security and closeness, where the cot is bigger and they might feel lost and loney... lil miss went in her cot from the first night she came home... and she ended up sleeping in my bed eventually because she wanted cuddles... but I know ppl whos babies start off in the moses basket and the prefer co sleeping :) so it makes no difference. Sadly babies die o f cot death no matter where you put them to sleep... :cry:

I love my swing crib next to my bed but I don't know how it would work with two of them.

I agree the cot thing sounds like crap but it is supposed to be safer to have them in your room for the first 6 months - easier too cos you don't have far to walk to feed them .

Initially I didn't think I hasd room for a cot in our bedroom but I love having her with us so much hat now I'm looking at how we could re-arraange everything to fit a cot in when she's too big for the crib.

Aaron went into a cot after 2 days cos he hated the moses basket and he was fine. Never ever heard of a matress causing cot death.

thanks everyone i really appreciate all the replies when i had christopher he had a swinging crib upstairs and a moses basket downstairs and then went into a cotbed at about 4 months
to those who suggested it i was also considering putting the twins in same cotbed for 1st few months till they move about more :D thought it would be nice for them to be together im really not sure now what we will do but its nice to have others opinions :hug:
im so sad as we have tried and tried to work things out so we can keep them in with us for a while like we did with christopher (10 months) but we are not going to be able to once they are both in their own cots :( there is just not enough room even if we move half the furniture out its just not possible so poor twins will be in their own room from about 4 months :( :( :( dont know what else i can do xxxxxxxxxxx

Sprog slept in his moses basket for 4 nightsbefore we got fed up of traipsing it upstairs every night. He sleeps far better in his cotbed anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back