Cot Mattress??

Smithy1980

Reaction score
Hi girlies

Im just doing some online shopping for last bits and bobs and wanted your opinion on something before I check out.

My best friend has given me her cot (amongst other things) and its like brand new, the mattress was really expensive and has one of those protective covers over it!

I was just wondering if you would buy a new mattress or use the one given? Knowing where its come from etc? Im just not sure what to do?

Then if I do buy one, what do I go for??

Thank you as always xx :thanks:

If it's from your friend I'd use it :) You're gonna be putting sheets on it anyway, and most of the time the baby will be sleeping above all the sheets anyway :)

I know what they say about second hand matresses, but i think this is only true for buying off ebay or from people you don't know where you wouldn't have a clue what you were getting x

I agree with flugel, you know where is come from. Long as its still fairly new and not worn out. I would still buy a new matress protector and give it a good Hoover like you do any mattress.

Marvellous thank you :) she is OCD cleanliness wise so I was thinking along the same lines as you!

Many thanks xx

The advice about buying a new mattress isnt just about hygine it's because the mattress would have moulded to the 1st childs shape and would of been compressed by their weight and so they suggest to get a new mattress so that your LO gets good support.

i have read many reports about links between second hand matresses and cot death so i think you should get new just to be sure xx

Ive been given a Moses basket and cot from my ohs aunty and she is very clean and looks after things but I'm def replacing both mattresses as after reading so many conflicting stories I'm def going to replace them for my own piece of mind. Got the new Moses basket one coming to nope and was 6 quid for a brand new one off eBay in packaging and when baby goes into his cot il buy a new one for then too :) xx

i have read many reports about links between second hand matresses and cot death so i think you should get new just to be sure xx

Oh I didn't know this!

It's maybe best to get new one then hun x

i dont know how accurate these reports are or even how the 2 are linked but just wouldnt risk it xx

Hey thanks girlies, thinking we should get a new one..........for peace of mind Id rather we did!

Thank you for everyone's responses..........can anyone recommend a good one? What kind of price should we be paying? xxx

mine was only £30 they seem to start at about £20 and go to like a hundred!!!!! have no idea whats the best kind of ones though

I defo agree regarding new mattress :) Even with siblings I bought new x

I defo agree regarding new mattress :) Even with siblings I bought new x

Actually now you say that Mamafy, I'm certain my parents bought new with all their kids too! Though they kept the actual crib :)

They got my little sisters matress from ikea hun, they had a lot of choice and people who can advise you on all the diffrent types x

Brill thanks flugel, I don't need an excuse for a trip to Ikea lol!

Think for what it's worth we'll definitely go with a new one then!

Thanks ladies :-D xx

we brought our mattress from mothercare, its not the most expensive, but was £94.99 as it's so fit a cot that our little man should be able to stay in until he's around 2 or 2 1/2! so wanted something that would do for the duration! our thoughts are that the mattress is the bit baby will actually be laying on so needs to be of a high quality! you would't buy a nice bed for yourself then a cheap n nasty mattress, so why should we do that for our baby!

the link shows the different kinds of mattresses that you can get in mothercare, think most of them are on the baby plan too, ours was!

http://www.mothercare.com/b/4282604...764041&pf_rd_p=468460953&pf_rd_s=global-top-7

Brilliant thanks spice :) much appreciated! Guess where we're going tomorrow lol

Thanks as always ladies xxx

If the cot is an unusual size or shape, try www.babymattressonline.co.uk, one of my best friends used it and couldn't recommend them highly enough, they aren't very expensive either!

I need to measure my moses basket before ordering, and convince OH to finish the crib so I can get proper measurements for that (looking at it, looks to be a non standard size, so good that they make custom sizes too)

Brilliant thank u I'll have a look! Save me traipsing into town to shop too :) shopping is not much fun at the mo as always needing a wee lol xxxx

Thank u xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back