Cooking in bulk?

leckershell

Reaction score
Every week we seem to be on the same rotation of food... any other ideas for things I could cook in bulk and freeze?

Spag bol, bacon+tomato pasta, thai red/green curry, sweet+sour.

Must be more than that..!! (ps we dont do indian)

Lasagne, soup, casserole, chilli, any sort of pie filler then you just have to put pastry on top when you come to cook.

Cook Off.............

Thats what we call it in my house :lol: :wink:

We do the usual shepards pie, lasagne,soup, boloagnase, pies, carbonara, curry,sausage casserole etc etc.

this freezes well and kids love it...

layer sausage meat and tinned tomatoes in a dish (one you use for lasagne, shepards pie or the such like) season to taste (you can do variations, basil, chilli- whatever you like really) Top with mash and tones of cheese and sliced tomatoes, bung in the oven for 40 mins to cook or freeze and thaw before cooking.

I do things that are really simple to make from scratch on the night. Means you get more variation that things like spag bol and curries etc. I also only cook meat dishes 2-3 times a week. The rest is vegetable and fish based ones. Its cheaper and also gives you more variation and as we don't need to eat meat as part of our diet each day its not doing us any harm either.

I often do chicken in a white wine and lemon cream sauce. Grilled pork steak with melted apricot stilton on top. Tuna steaks in a marinade. Steak with melted stilton. All those things can cook alongside rice or pots and be served with veggies on the night. Or a steak baguette with salad.

Bulk cooking wise Honeyed pork is good. I also make a sweet chilli beef with big chunks of meat instead of mince. Chicken in a fresh tomato sauce is also good. All freeze well. Turkey is always a cheaper and healthier option in place of chicken for things.

O spinach lasagne is great to make and freeze. I use frozen spinach and make my own sauce from toms, onion, herbs, tom puree and paprika.

Fish pie freeze well. Mixture of cod, haddock and a yellow smoked fish.

Also spanish omelette is always really easy and cheap to make on the night. 15 minutes from start to finish.

Creamy Chicken in a White Sauce

Makes 3 suppers for 4

2tbsp veg oil
knob of butter, plus extra 3 tbsp, softened
16 boneless chicken thighs or 8 diced chicken breasts
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150ml dry white wine
4 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3tbsp plain flour
700ml hot chicken stock
7ml double cream

1) Heat the oil and knob of butter in a large deep frying pan or casserole. Season the chicken and fry in batches until lightly browned. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
2) Add chopped onion and fry gently until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 secs. Add wine and herbs then cover and cook for 10 mins.
3) Remove the lid and bubble over high heat until iquid is reduced to about 1 tbsp. Add to the bow with the cooked chicken.
4) Add the extra butter and flour to the pan and stir to make a paste. Cok for 5 mins then gradually add hot stock, stirring until smooth and thickened.
5) Return the chicken and onions to the pan. Cover and simmer gently fo 5 mins then add the cream. Check seasoning then set aside to cool.
6) Once cool, divide the creamy chicken between 3 freezer bags (or more for smaller portions)of freezerproof containers, label and freeze.

You can do loads with this basic mix. Serve with rice or add broccolli and peas and serve with pasta. Add a pastry top for a quick pie filling or scone topping for a cobbler. :)

Ive just done a load of stuff!

Fish pie, salmon and prawns with a shop bought sauce civered in mash, you can have this though with pasta or rice.

Lasagne - just done 2 adult portions and 6 kiddy ones

Cottage pie - it didnt ladst long tommo and the kids just polished it off!

Choc muffins, got 12 mini ones.

Baked cookies last nigght - hey have just been scoffed!

I do at least 2 lots a week, well as of last week anyway!

I usually make too much of a meal, like lasagne, then freeze whats left when we have finished. If there isnt much, rather than chucking it I freeze it as kids meals, so they have something good for lunches when I cant be assed!

How do people defrost their meals?
I freeze stuff but then it often seems to be a bit minging when reheated :?

Minxy said:
How do people defrost their meals?
I freeze stuff but then it often seems to be a bit minging when reheated :?

I just take it out in the morning when I wake. Its defrosted fine then to reheat in the evening. Or take out the evening before and defrost in the fridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back