Cook book

Lola's Mummy

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good cook books?

I think i'm going to start a little collection to improve my cooking skills :)

Delia Smith, unpretentious and doesnt tell you to "drizzle olive oil & balsamic vinegar" over everything like Jamie Oliver does.

I'd recomend the AWW (Australian Womans Weekly) books as well, avaialble from all good book shops, especially whsmiths :)

Ignore the fashion cook books like Jamie Oliver, Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall & Nigella.

The Nigella books are really just softcore pr0n what with all the hazy shots of hands kneading dough..

I disagree, I love Jamie's books, the food is so unpretentious. Avoid the Italian one and the How to be a good cook. I didn't like either.

I don't like Nigella, I hate the Bill Granger stuff. I prefer Jamie's out of all my lot, and I think I have quite a few different!

Also, a cheaper tip, I've found some really nice recipes from Sainsburys (online, not those cards in store) and Waitrose in store cards.

It all depends what you are looking for. If you are already quite proficient in most things and want some ideas for new and interesting stuff, Jamie and Nigella are really good. I have books by them both and like them (slight preference for Nigella as she LOVES the calories, not sure about her Ham in Coke recipe though!)

But Delia's book 'The complete Cookery Course' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delias-Complete-Cookery-Course-Classic/dp/0563362499is bar far the best in terms of telling you how to prepare and cook good, every day meals. I have had this book since I was a student 10 years ago, it is like my little bible. I am now getting a bit more confident and can adapt her recipes to suit me (cut out some of the fat/sugar etc) . I am not the world's best cook, so this book was best for me.

oooh cook books are my addiction!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I must have about 35 which I've had to store up in the loft cos there is no room in the kitchen for them anymore!!

One of my favs is Gary Rhodes...some really good British classics with a slight twist. although I do like the old fashioned Mrs Beeton for cakes and biscuits.

Delia is always good value too.

Anything by ramsay :D

Otherwise, just ask friends and family to write down their recipes (they'll be flattered) and make your own cooking lever arch folder.. :)

I've just been given the Gino D'Campo one as a pressie and I love it! I also swear by Delia and if I am doing something a bit special I love Raymond Blanc.

I brought my mu the Nigela one for xmas and she loves it. But its not really english food. Im moren into my cake reciepe books so not too much help

Not as fashionable, but the best cookery book that I can recommend is the Good Housekeeping one. I have loads of cookery books but this is the faithful one I usually use and the one I've convinced OH to start cooking with :D It has recipes of food you would want to eat with ingredients that you're likely to have.

I notice they now do a step-by-step book and I might get that too. I have a lot of cookery books :oops:

Try to go in to a bookshop to look and choose. You can then buy cheaper over the internet. If you look at them you can make sure you choose ones with recipes you like, instructions you feel are clear and that the pages stay open :) Student ones can be really good.

You have helped me out too! iv just ordered the delia one thanks ladies!

Well she does make interesting tv shows.
Like i said, hazy camera work reminiscent of 60's pr0n, and she's not afraid to eat what she cooks..
Even if she is a bit posh sounding :wink:

any cook book apart from wen its made by delia- i think i am the god dam best and everybody else is below me - smith :twisted:

any cook book apart from wen its made by delia- i think i am the god dam best and everybody else is below me - smith :twisted:

Sarah&Braydon said:

hehe, I love her book, find it really useful, but you are right - she is a right patronising old bat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back