Contraceptive Injection - How long to wear off?

MrsLloyd2B

Reaction score
Hi all,

Myself and my partner are looking to start a family next year, we would like to start TTC mid 2009, please can someone tell me how long the injection takes to wear off?

I have been on it since December 2007 (previously on pill) - Every 3 months i have an injection.

Thanks

I haven't been on it myself but the doctor advised me against it as we were unsure when we'd want to try for a second baby. One of the reasons she gave was that it can take a year or even longer for fertility to return properly.

I was on the depo jab for over six years before i started TTC.
I came off it and it took me nine months to conceive.
My periods were all over the place for months after i came off it, TBH i would ever use the depo again but thats my opinion, i had other problems i didnt realise at the time connected to the depo :?

Maybe come off it now and use an alternative method of contraception in the mean time like condoms so you can get your cycles back to normal and regular all readt for when you TTC :)

:( ohhhh

Well maybe i should not get my next injection then.

Hmmmm, something to think about.

If i dont get my next injection (due very soon) then my body will have chance to start returning to normal and then we can start TTC in 2009.

Only thing is i don't really want to get preg before 2009 as we are trying to save up and prepare as much as possible...if i fell preg say in 2 weeks it would be a bit early for us! But then i dont suppose it matters! As long as we have a happy healthy baby we will be happy :)

Baby-Briggsy said:
:( ohhhh

Well maybe i should not get my next injection then.

Hmmmm, something to think about.

If i dont get my next injection (due very soon) then my body will have chance to start returning to normal and then we can start TTC in 2009.

Only thing is i don't really want to get preg before 2009 as we are trying to save up and prepare as much as possible...if i fell preg say in 2 weeks it would be a bit early for us! But then i dont suppose it matters! As long as we have a happy healthy baby we will be happy :)

That was just my experience of the depo jab, you may be lucky and catch as soon as you come off the depo.
If you want to come off the depo but not want to fall pregnant until planned just be sure you use another form of contraception in the meantime :)

i was on the depo for about 2 years, previous to that the pill.

i came off it 3 years ago knowing i wanted to clear my body and get a good cycle going. AF arrived as soon as i came off the depo and has been great ever since. i didnt have any problems although i have only just started TTC so i cant really say how long it would take.

i would go back on the depo again, but everyone is different!

I had my last depo injection in April this year after being on it for 2 years. I went on the pill as we were waiting until after the wedding to start ttc but I thought it would give it a chance to get out of my system. I had a m/c at the end of July so it didn't take long & i was on the pill.

I was on the Depo injection for almost 10 years. I had my last jab in May 07 just before I got married :D , so that would have run out in the August. I fell pregnant in May 08 so it took 9 months to get pregnant but unfortunately had an ectopic pregnancy & now I think I'm six weeks pregnant again, just waiting to have a scan this Thursday to make sure it's all in the right place this time :(

I think everyone is individual. It will probably be sods law that if you come off of it now you will fall pregnant straight away :clap:

x

My last depo was in March 2007, 18 months ago and I have still not got my periods back- only two episodes of light bleeding/spotting. I was on it for 10 years on and off so that probably has had an effect on the delay. I would strongly recommend going off it and using external contraception or temping/fertility signs until you are ttc.

All the best xx

I was told it commonly takes around a year to come out of your system but can take 18mnths-2yrs for some people. So I came off depo in June 07 to ttc in June 08 when I got married. So I was swopped to cerazette in June 07 which is meant to come out of your system as soon as you stop taking it but it took 7 weeks from last pill till first af. I don't know if that was due to creazette or depo. (I have blood pressure issues with combined pill so can only have pop).

Anyway I would recommend going and seeing your gp or fpc and see what they recommend to suit you - thats what I did. Hope that helps.

PS. When stopping bcp had loads of pg symptoms which is very common too! (but wasnt pg).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back