Consultant appointment

TORino

Reaction score
We were back at the clinic today to review progress since discharge.

The HV had been on the phone to him about the advice I had been given about feeding etc and he told me he was rather cross with her. He said that feeding on demand is absolutely the correct thing to do when the baby is healthy and well but not in the case of babies with reflux. He was cross that there appeared to be concerns with her weight and said it was because she had been weighed too frequently. She is following the 98th percentile still and hasn't strayed from it.

He said she has severe reflux but he wasn't concerned about her long term development as her weight is not a problem and said we should continue to see improvements week on week as she grows. Especially when she can sit unaided and is on solids.

We are to continue with the ranitidine and Gaviscon and he gave us some lactulose for the poo situation.

I asked him about her sleeping as she never seems to fall into a deep sleep and he said it was the reflux simmering away and making her uncomfortable. He advised short term periodic use of the Chloral hydrate if she has had little sleep to help her relax but only to be used at night.

So a good outcome I guess. Nothing new learnt but tools to manage our situation :)

The new routine has helped immensely. I cant recommend it enough for folk who's babies don't manage to sort one for themselves. It has really settled her down loads. I get minimal crying these days only really when feeding or needing to be fed. She goes to sleep easily and on her own and I get LOADS of smiles during the day.

:D

Glad you had a good appt hun. She has improved so much recently and hopefully now you have the tools to help her to continue. The medical world can accept very little praise for how far she has come, it's all down to you and you alone and you really do deserve a massive pat on the back chick :hug: xxxxxxxxx

Thank hun, that's very kind of you to say.

I am naturally more of a tree huggy sort of person so going with a set routine has been a difficult pill to swallow. All these weeks I have let her take the lead and tried to respond to what she's telling me but it just wasn't working.

I have boobie fed on demand/when she cries, i let her sleep whenever, gave cuddles all day and it made her the most grouchy little critter ever, that and her pain of course.

I am starting to feel much happier about being a mum now which is really fabulous though.

It's nice to hear you are starting to enjoy each other. And once Tilly's reflux disappears she can get on with plotting to take over the world. Your little girl is far too intelligent for everyone else's good lol

aww thats pretty good, im glad your finally getting somewhere and able to enjoy your gorgeous lil tilly chops

That's really great news - I'm so pleased for you both. Out of interest, what routine are you doing? One the hospital have given you or one by she who cannot be named!? lol

Ooh just back from Hols and catching up properly now I have Internet back

So glad to hear this Hun. I don't think there's ever a cure all for everything but at least you have a happy medium and a happy baby

So glad your enjoying being a mummy now to your gorgeous girl. Many a mummy wouldn't have given up by now and stopped breast feeding etc so you. Should be proud of yourself xxxx

Glad it is going so well now! :)

Im so glad things are looking better!:) what routine are you doing? *curious*

great news, glad plan is working well. x

Awww hun I'm do glad u feel loads better and that lil Tilly is being good for yu now xxx

Really pleased to hear this :) glad the appointment went well. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back