Constipation when in labour

Dee83

Reaction score
I have suffered really badly with this throughout the pregnancy and still do. I'm just wondering what, if anything, they do about it when your in labour - do they give an enema to clear you out before the pushing stage? xxx

Apparently the body prepares itself for labour and has a natural cleanse, but, if that doesn't happen, you should just mention it to the midwife, constipation is so normal in pregnancy, I'm sure they know exactly what to do.

That's true, thanks ISH.

Was just wondering if they did anything routinely as my mum was saying that they used to give u an enema when u were in early labour regardless as to whether u were constipated or not! That was like 20 odd years ago tho!

Last edited:
I've heard of this too, but I don't think it's done any more - possibly unless you specifically ask for it.

My sister had one but she had to beg. Something to do with making the bowel contract un-naturally doesn't go well with uterine contractions at the same time.....dunno, I stopped listening soon after that lol xxxxxxxxx

Hun when I started contractions over the last few days the first thing I noticed was the loose no.2's that were being regularly forced out! Was grim but am sue your body will do the same and get rid before the pushing stage :) xxx

I suffered with constipation the whole way through my pregnancy too and didn't really go much before the birth either and they didn't give me anything and I was fine, I just started going normally after about 4 days of having Jacob.

Thanks girls. Hope i clear myself out then beforehand, dont want any major erruptions whilst trying to push baby out!lol.

That's good to know Chrissie. I'm calling my LO Jacob too :)

Last edited:
No enenama's are given at my hospital, i was constripated all the way through pregnancy. i wouldn't worry if u do have an accident whilst pushing the mws have seen it all before! x

They don't give enemas any more but like the girls said your body will prepare its self x

No they don't give you anything which is a shame. I was so constipated towards the end that the first stage of my labour took ages because (sorry for the TMI) there was something in the way of the baby's progress... Next time once I can tell I'm in early labour I'll take some castor oil or something beforehand.

My mother had the same problem and she was given some laxatives to help clear out anything before birth, and she says that things moved much quicker afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back