ESSENTIAL TIPS FOR LABOUR

Valley Girl

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea (I hope you agree) to post up any really good advice or self learned tips to help each other get through labour.

I have had two previous children but the advice I got when I was pregnant with my first was invaluable. Also, every labour is different, so anything to help you keep positive and feel more confident can only be a bonus.

So here goes.. I'll kick off!

CONTRACTIONS COME AND THEY GO. EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE PAINFUL YOUR BODY ALWAYS GIVES YOU A BREATHER BETWEEN TO GET YOURSELF TOGETHER. My sister told me this and it really, really helped me stay focused. It isn't a constant hellish pain. It is not constant until you're just about to deliver the head!!! And by then, who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LABOUR IS A BIT LIKE AN EXAM. PREPARING FOR IT, WORRYING ABOUT IT AND WONDERING IF YOU CAN DO IT IS MUCH MUCH WORSE THAN THE REAL THING. AS SOON AS THE EXAM STARTS AND YOU TURN OVER YOUR PAPER YOU STOP WORRYING AND YOU JUST GET ON WITH IT. WHEN LABOUR STARTS YOUR ADRENALINE WILL KICK IN AND YOU WILL DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THROUGH IT. THE BEST LAID BIRTH PLANS MIGHT NOT MATTER TO YOU AT ALL WHEN THE DAY COMES. My own advice, learned through having my boys. I feel like I'm waiting for an exam right now, I just want to get on with it and I know when labour starts I will just have to take it stage by stage and get to the end.

I'd appreciate any more advice from anyone else. I LOVE ADVICE!!!! Knowledge is power for us ladies I think.

xxGOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO IS DUE TO HAVE A BABY SOON xx

Take some Lucozade - I didn't get chance to or didn't feel like having anything to eat from late Friday night to early Monday morning, and th energy has to come from somewhere.

Don't get so set on one idea that having to deviate from it upsets you. You are far more effective in labour if you are not upset.

Let your partner have a copy of your birth plan to take with him - he may be more able to let the midwifes know what you want than you will be.

Also give him a list of phone numbers to keep in his wallet so you aren't rushing around after the birth trying to find numbers to call. Make sure he knows your text buddy's number, or your password for here ;) :D

Erm...

Be prepared for it all to go wrong, but also stand up for yourself if there's something you don't understand or really aren't happy with. You don't want your first few memories to be bad ones.

Don't be afraid to ask for help - as is said many times on here, you don't win a prize for going pain-relief free :) or giving birth in the car because you were too stubborn to go to hospital when you were told to!

I'd say if in doubt go to the hospital, especially with your first. Even if you're a few weeks off your due date and you think something may be happening then speak to a midwife or get yourself up to the hospital to be checked.

Follow the words of the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy and....

DON'T PANIC!!!

You're not going to die... you're not going to rip in half... and in all honestly.... Labour isn't half as bad as people make it out to be... I think we have selective memories.

Do brief your OH beforehand if you are taking an OH with you ... or write a list of things... show him where stuff is... Men turn into these gooy bundles of snot when labour starts... and they don't know their heads from their bums.. and trying to give instructions when you are in labour is erm... tricky.. :rotfl:

Don't be afraid to demand pain relief.... after all who in their right mind sits with a banging headache and just lets it be because it's natural! :shock: You at least take something.. and labour is the same.

But most of all... trust your instincts... you know what's happening inside your own body... and you know when things arn't right... you will know when things aren't right with your baby... don't let "professionals" fob you off with... your just a panicky first time mum... its your right to choose how you have your baby and how you raise it... If you choose to bottle feed then do... if you choose to swaddle then do... but at the end of the day, once you've had that baby, you're at home and that front door is closed its up to you... :D

take supportive people with you for the birth...you need someone who isnt selfish and wont go all flappyy..

when its time to push.. the harder you do it the quicker it will all be over..

take lots of £1 coins and 50ps coz hospital food is horrible..

Make sure your organised at home, there is nothing worse then taking a baby back to a messy house!

Be prepared for your perfect labour to go wrong, it might not but most people find their beautiful water birth go out the window to be prepped for a ventouse delivery, though this applies to more first timers then seconds etc as us seconds have alrady done it :wink:

Prepare yourself for labour and yes it does bloody hurt but thre are drugs available.

Make your oh suffer, he got you in this postition!!! :rotfl:

Just be realistic.

leckershell said:
Let your partner have a copy of your birth plan to take with him - he may be more able to let the midwifes know what you want than you will be.

Also give him a list of phone numbers to keep in his wallet so you aren't rushing around after the birth trying to find numbers to call. Make sure he knows your text buddy's number, or your password for here ;) :D

Erm...

Be prepared for it all to go wrong, but also stand up for yourself if there's something you don't understand or really aren't happy with. You don't want your first few memories to be bad ones.

Don't be afraid to ask for help - as is said many times on here, you don't win a prize for going pain-relief free :) or giving birth in the car because you were too stubborn to go to hospital when you were told to!

Definately don't be military about sticking to your plan or the fact that you are going to do it with/without pain relief - things change! And...what is important is that your baby is delivered safely.

Squiglet said:
Follow the words of the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy and....

DON'T PANIC!!!

You're not going to die... you're not going to rip in half... and in all honestly.... Labour isn't half as bad as people make it out to be... I think we have selective memories.

I'd agree with this one too - TV dramatises birth SOOO much!

Make sure you and your OH stay in control, Midwife's can be very bossy and over powering. If you dont want to squat or lay on the bed to give birth tell them dont be scared to, they are suppose to be there to help you get through it not rail road you into doing what they want to make there job eaisier.

Be prepared for change, nothing is set in stone even your birth plan can change if YOU want it to.

Make sure family members dont invade you house before you arrive back home, i can garantee they wont treat your clean house with any respect and there is nothing worst than coming home with a new baby and a house full of people filling your sink full of tea cups.

Great tips. :D

Valley Girl: What you've said has made me feel a wee bit better. I am total crapping myself. I think I'll be reading your post quite a lot over the coming days to calm me down. xxx

I know this sounds crazy.. try and enjoy it as much as possible. Its THE most amazing experience your ever going to have and it's over so quickly. Yes there is pain we all know that but its manageable and i'm rubbish with pain.

I actually can't wait to have my next baby and go through labour.. i want to record it this time as i've spent hours going through it in my head! It is fantastic.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

NIE said:
Great tips. :D

Valley Girl: What you've said has made me feel a wee bit better. I am total crapping myself. I think I'll be reading your post quite a lot over the coming days to calm me down. xxx

I don't think there can be anything more reassuring when you're in labour than a woman who's been through it before and is calm. I was gutted when my sister walked out of the hospital when I was expecting my first. I din't have the courage to ask her to stay, and as our relationship isn't always good, my ex wanted it to be a private thing, just us. But I wish I had been brave enough to ask her to come for the birth.

I think we all have to help each other as much as we can, because with the best will in the world, and all the love they bring, no man could ever comprehend what you have to go through.

You will be fine, and you will be amazed and utterly delighted afterwards by how well you will cope. It's the beginnings of being a Mum... you just do these things because you have to do it for yourself and your baby. It's the defining moment when you have a purpose for the rest of your life!

Good luck.. !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back