Constipated since on solids!Urgent reply needed, pls!

Discussion in 'Kids Health' started by MissThing, Jan 7, 2008.

1. MissThing

MissThing Well-Known Member

Hi girls!

Daniel is very constipated since on solids! He used to poo every day, and he hasnt done anything for 2 days! I can see, he is constipated, cos he is making grunting noses, and is flexing his tummy, like trying to have a poo, but he cant!
    He wouldnt drink water, so today I gave him some diluted warm baby apple juice (Hipps).
    And he is teething as well, so poor little bubs is not feeling very well at all! Is there anything I can do to stop him being constipated? (Tummy massage does not help. I heard about diluted prune juice, but I think he is too small for that)

At this time he is usually fast asleep, but all he does now is crying. :cry:

2. tlc1974

tlc1974 Well-Known Member

When he is trying to move his bowels move his legs like he is riding a bicycle and also leave his nappy off and rub his bum with some vaseline or a baby wipe. Hope this helps, this helped my little girl go when she was constipated.

3. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

If water isnt helping you could try some Lactulose?

4. MissThing

Thanks for your reply!
    I already was doing the bicycle stuff will try with the vaseline next time.
    Thankfully, he just had a poo :pray: Going to go and change him!

5. Minime

Minime Well-Known Member

Any problems in future give him pure orange juice diluted one part to 6 or weetabix also seems to work rather well.....!

6. MissThing

Should I give him fresh orange juice or from packets? :hug:

7. valentine

valentine Well-Known Member

He's still quite young for solids - is it worth giving it a break for a couple of weeks (I was told definitely no solids til 17 weeks, ideally not til 26 weeks, although I know some people disagree with this) - maybe his tummy just isn't mature enough?

Valentine Xxx

8. MissThing

Yes, I was thinking about that. I am just wondering is it ok to stop when already started? Apart from constipation, he is fine, and he loves it! Today I gave him fruit puree mixed with milk, approx half to half, and he had about 3 teaspoons and has been fine.

9. valentine

valentine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Carina - I think trixipaws stopped and started a bit until her baby was older (I think she started about 16/17 weeks though) so it might be worth asking her for some advice?

I know he loves it, but there's loads of info out there about why you definitely shouldn't wean until at least 17 weeks. Here's a leaflet for you to have a read of from the Department of Health. I know Mummy knows best (and I'm a strong believer in this), but occassionally there is research and info to back up the 'official' way of doing things. If I was you, I would hold off and up his milk feeds or put him onto hungry baby milk (unless he is still b/feeding)- it could just be a growth spurt - I've certainly mistaken growth spurts and teething symptoms both for weaning signs - but I've just rode it out and eventually normality and calm is restored!

However, its important to know that I'm not medically trained and this is just my opinion - I would strongly encourage you to talk to your HV asap too.

Good luck Carina

Valentine Xxx

10. MissThing

I talked to hv, and they said its fine and gave me a brochure on weaning :? Well, I skipped his solids today. So, we will see. If I am going to give them, I will mix it with milk much more. :) I did that yesterday, and he was fine. :cheer:

11. Minime

Minime Well-Known Member

HV told me pure orange so I used to get him the fresh stuff from the fridges (i.e. not from concentrate) I'm sure the pure orange cartons are fine so long as they're diluted :)

12. MissThing

Thanks hun! :hug:

13. Sammystar

Sammystar Well-Known Member

awww, poor little mite. Hope he's OK :hug: