considering self medicating- advice please

GBLiz

Reaction score
ok. just some background , i have suffered depression in the past as have many of us. for a couple of years until i fell pg i was on prozac not for depression but to treat bulimia- it worked and i hadnt had a bulimic episode for so long i had no problems stopping the prozac as soon as i found out i was pg.

now, as some of you know i have had a pretty stressful time over the last year, even though it has all turned out happy endings , i just feel i got battered down somewhere along the way

my OH hasnt put any pressure on me, he's put up with me being a bit of a moody cow but he says 'its only temporary' (is it?!)
A few times he has said he misses me being like i was - and I miss being like i was- even though i cant even remember what that was like! He said i used to laugh more....when he says that i just start crying even though i couldnt say whats wrong.....

I know most of you will say talk to a HV etc but a doctor would just say look at all youve done and taken on, blah blah not surprising im still adjusting ..and on the whole im ok.....im 'fine'...but im just 'fine'....if you get me....i would NEVER stop looking after Anjali but if im really honest i sometimes regret things because we were so happy before, and now im a no-fun , no-sex, NAG of a wife...i dont want to change Anjali but i do want to change ME....

So anyway i have boxes of prozac still and im just thinking maybe i should start back on. But Im bf-ing.....I know it only stays in milk a few hours but she feeds every 3 hours at least....i dont know that its bad enough for me to mess her up..god knows i dont want to affect her developing brain and cause her to get depression or anything when she's older!

long ramble i know and i think i have an idea of the responses but im just needed to get it out...

I didnt want to read and run! :hug:

I would suggest going to the Dr's... there may be something they can suggest etc.

Let us know how you get on xx

If it were me i would go to the doctors and ask their advice, I wouldn't self medicate. I don't breast feed so I wouldn't know how it will affect your milk supply.

You have had a really stressful year and I think you have coped really well considering everything you have been through :hug: :hug:

FWIW my OH keeps saying the same thing to me about not being like I was before, I can't remember how I was before Sam.

I would talk to your doctor too, you might need to go back on the tablets but its best to get medical advise first.
Hope you're feeling better soon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am breastfeeding and am on prozac but I wouldn't take anything without speakig to a Dr first

as far as I know prozac is safe but definitely see the doctor first.....

so do u think u need the tablets this time for depression rather than the bulimia? if ur unsure i think u should definately see ur GP to ask which condition needs treating. prozac is contraindicated for BFing, so even for that reason alone u should DEFINATELY consult ur doc before starting them. as they can advise u how it effects the milk etc. :hug:

I know you didnt want to be told to see the doc, but if Prozac and breastfeeding don't get on, they may be able to offer you a more suitable anti-d that is ok with breastfeeding? They gave me one but I forgot what its called sorry :(

Alternatively you could ask in Holland and Barrett if st johns wort affects breastfeeding?

x

:hug:

there has been no research into st john's wort and breastfeeding and whetrher it will affect baby or not.

as Emma said, i think i am doing really well considering - that we have had a nightmare moving, started our own business, working 70 hours a week, , no family, no friends, didnt get on with the implanon, basically loads of stuff that adds up , maybe what i am asking is, is doing well considering the same thing as saying 'you're depressed but its not surprising' ? or is it just something i should expect to feel and keep battling on.

gymbabeliz said:
as Emma said, i think i am doing really well considering - that we have had a nightmare moving, started our own business, working 70 hours a week, , no family, no friends, didnt get on with the implanon, basically loads of stuff that adds up , maybe what i am asking is, is doing well considering the same thing as saying 'you're depressed but its not surprising' ? or is it just something i should expect to feel and keep battling on.

I have had a few problems during pregnancy and after having Sam but no where near as much as you have had to deal with. It is stressful enough moving house, starting a business, having no support from family nearby. I would have been a wreck going through all that and being pregnant and having a new born baby. In fact even if i didn't have a baby I would have struggled to cope.

I would say there is no wonder you are feeling the strain after all that :hug:

Have you spoke to a GP yet? I am sure they will give you some help with how you are feeling.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi hon

I was on prozac before i fell for Isla and work in mental health, medication is really helpful but its only part of the road to recovery, your GP might be able to offer you some councelling. In fact speak to your HV re sure start they have councellors too, but also a group of nice normal down to earth mummies who have gone through the mill also, its good to have as much support as poss. :hug:

Hi hon

I was on prozac before i fell for Isla and work in mental health, medication is really helpful but its only part of the road to recovery, your GP might be able to offer you some councelling. In fact speak to your HV re sure start they have councellors too, but also a group of nice normal down to earth mummies who have gone through the mill also, its good to have as much support as poss. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back