Postnatal depression

Discussion in 'Postnatal Questions' started by beckibooxx, Feb 1, 2012.

1. beckibooxx

beckibooxx Well-Known Member

I Was diagnosed about a month ago with postnatal depression 4 months after my son alfie was born, he was premature and was in hospital for 3 weeks, i found it hard sometimes to bond with him, i held him and kissed him and all that but everything felt so weird? when he was finally home i never had any rest i was stressed all the time and couldnt focus, id forget so easily , i argued with my kids dad constantly over silly things which always seemed so big to me, little things seemed like the end of the world, and i just wanted my old life back... i felt so so selfish, when my health visitor saw me she did a mood chart, and i scored high for depression, so she said to go doctors, i did exactly that, and they prescribed me cetalapram, ive taken them for just over a month now, and all i can say it is the BEST thing i have ever ever done, i feel so different now, i feel happier, and im able to manage, ive bonded with alfie more, i hold him.. cuddle him and just always wanna be around him.. he smiles at me and coo's and it makes me feel so proud that i finally did something about my depression! everyones said that im glowing and i seem so much calmer and happier :) my oldest whos 19 months seems a bit happier too now that im happy too, i think before she kinda felt soemthing was wrong and was miserable all the time so im glad shes alot better too :)
    i also have social involved due to my depression, so you can imagine how bad it was, they've visited a few times and theyve commented on how well it seems im coping :)
    before i took these tablets i felt ashamed that i had to have pills to make me happier, and now im so glad i did, cos im a better mum now :) i love my kids for than anything!! :)

2. Young Mum 21 x

Young Mum 21 x Well-Known Member

Great news :yay: xx

3. Sarah13

Sarah13 Well-Known Member

Glad your feeling better. I can relate to having your baby early and feeling strange about it, obviously Kynon wasn't as early as Alfie but he still gave me quite a shock and was born quickly, it took me a while to accept he was here and I felt a bit cheated out of the last month of pregnancy and totally unprepared. Luckily I for me things haven't got to the post natal depression stage, and I accept he came when he was ready and is now thriving. Hope you continue to stay well xx

4. Princess81

Princess81 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing - good to hear that you took positive action and are now doing well x

5. beckibooxx

beckibooxx Well-Known Member

thanks guys :) means alot! im glad im getting better to, & yeah was really difficult to accept that he was born so early cos i wasnt prepared for him at all! in the few weeks at home i didnt pay him enough attention i didnt talks to him when id feed him or anything like that, and i feel so incredible stupid for it, but i constantly talk to him now and seeing his smile makes me so so happy :) i always brushed depression to the back of my head and though na.. i dont have it but i really did, and it got so bad that i finally realised i had to do something :)