Congenital Hypothyroidism

MrsCow

Reaction score
Congenital hypothyroidism

Today, 13:12 PM #1

Hi ladies,
my son was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism when he had the guthrie test at 5 days old. Off we went to Great Ormond Street at 10days old and to cut long story short, wew go every 6myhs, ( he is now nearly 5 years old and perfectly fine), he is on 62.5 and 75 mg of thyroxine daily. I dont know any one else with child with this. Just wondered if anyone else has experience of this xxx :smile::smile:

Many thanks :wave:

Hiya Hun I have no experience at all and no advice :hug: I've never heard of a child so young having thyroid trouble. Have they spoke of removing it in the future? X

Oh thanku for replying xx We under Great ormond Street, they dont think he has a throid gland! One in 4,000 babies born with this condition, but if picked up early enough, ( thankfully it was for us ) they develop normally. He on thyroxine and they keep him on the higher end of spectrum so he can be quite hyper!! Or is he hyper just cos he is 5 year old boy lol ! Will never know xx
Thanx xx

I don't have experience of this, although I'm hypothyroid myself, so Poppy had to be tested when she was a week old. Luckily she was clear of it. xx

Savannah has this. She has 25mcg of levothyroxine a day and 50mcg every other day. They said it may effect her development etc however she started crawling at 6 mo!

She had a scan of her thyroid and all appeared fine. It came to light that I should be tested to see if she picked it up from me. I was tested and I have a lack of the thyroid hormone but my thyroid functions are fine.

Really its had no effect on her :)

It's good to hear a positive story about it and I'm glad your son is doing well
X

aaahhh, thanx ladies, Hayley good to hear from another mum with experience of this!! Does she have tablets and then u crush? Alex is on 75mg one day and 62.5mg the next, he is 5 on sunday and really well, just a bit lively lol !!
Thanku for ur reply, glad Savanna doing so well xx :)

That's ok I have never heard of any children with it either and should have started a thread myself actually!

Yes the tablet is crushed and given to her in a medicine syringe mixed with a bit of milk!

Is hyperactivity one of the side effects of the tablets? Savannah is so energetic its unbelievable! Maybe we just both have very lovely children!

I remember finding out and crying my eyes out, I was so scared of the unknown. Looking back I had nothing to worry about but of course at the time you don't know that do you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back