Confused about dates, help!

ourmaxine

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm 37 and currently in early pregnancy but im not sure how far on I am.
I came off the pill in october and had a normal period starting end of nov.
I had awful breast tenderness follwing ovulation in december which got worse and worse over the 2 weeks leading up to xmas.
At this point I was convinced I was pregnant but didnt test as was too early. My period was due 26th dec.
4th jan I had a bleed after sex, bright red blood and I thought my period had started. However the bleeding quickly tailed off to very light brown discharge which lasted over the next 24 hours. My breast tenderness seemd to improve but then came back with a vengence. I became convinced I was pregnant again by late january, and felt tired/sick all the weekend of 24th/25th. I finally did a test on the 28th which was positive. I fact I did four!
The thing that is bothering me is this.
From the date of the period in january I can only be 5 weeks pregnant at the mo, but I have been having symptoms for at least 4/5 weeks.
Can symptoms start this early?
This will be my 4th baby but the others are much older . My son is 16 and I have identical twins of 11. I see the midwife on 20th feb, was the earliest appointment.

Thanks and sorry for long story!

I was showing symptoms from week3... bear in mind that weeks 1 and 2 you aren't actually pregnant (as you ovulate on day 14 on average)...

I would take your last period as the date to count from and just wait until you can get an hCG level blood test done as this will give you a more accurate idea.

Failing that Clearblue do some preg. test which tell you how pregnant you are (I can't get them over here but I've seen people post them up) - maybe you could try one of those?

Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way :D :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I was the same as budda, started havign sore boobs from before my period was due definitely. But I do wonder if your Jan period was a false one - was it a lot lighter than normal? But TBH the docs will count from that until you have a scan, so you might as well too, just be prepared for the possibility that you might suddenly jump forward at that point!

i thought i had symptoms from about 2 weeks 2 days pregnant :shock: (couple days after i conceived!) but they were so mild i wasnt sure whether i was imagining them. ur last period couldve been implantation bleed. some women still get periods while pregnant too! u will jus hav to mention it at ur appointment and they will arrange a scan to tell u how far u are. xx

congratulations! :hug:

Thanks for the replies.

I did the clearblue test yday evening , it came up 3+ weeks which is the most it will show.
Im going to see the mw on weds next week (20th). Hopefully she will send me for a scan and i can know for sure.
Will let you all know!

xxx

I think that's the best option, although I had my last period on 19th Dec, bled on the 2nd jan for 3 days following a smear, which is also my conception date, and probably why I bled, and then I had what I thought was the start of my period which started off as red and then changed to brown.
That was the day or 2 before I was actually due.

Its very common for ladies to have this, some ladies even get some kind of bleeding around the time their period was due for several months into the pregnancy.

It sounds like the last period was probably a false period, if it was abnormally light, and so the mw will either discount it, or send you for a scan.

when I was pregnant with my 4th I was dated from my last period even though I had a load of negative tests and didn't get a scan till I was 16 weeks, when they put me back either 3 or 4 weeks. My MW was fuming that they didn't send me for a scan to confirm dates when I first went following my BFP. Turns out I'd just missed a period the month I conceived.

If you're in doubt, it is your right to ask for a scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back