Complications in labour

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Hi!

I know this sounds weird but what are the main things that can go wrong during a birth? My OH and I were talking about having contingency plans and choices made beforehand should anything go wrong - eg being offered a hysterectomy if I haemorrhage like my Mom did, or stuff like that.

Don't know much about anything...(why does that sound like a song?) So I said I'd ask you guys. Want to ask my Obstetrician later this week.

Sue

Have you had your antenatal classes yet as we had one entirely devoted to this! It scared the pants off me so I'm ashamed to say that I instantly blanked it all from my mind- sorry! If you haven't had them yet it might be worth asking if they're going to cover it?

+++

Complications can include:

Not progressing past a certain stage.
I had 2 friends who both got to 9cms dilated and both needed a C-section

Breech presentation
My other friend was told everything was in the right place until she got to 8 cms and the midwife examined her and founf poo on her fingers...C-section aswell.

Basically the kind of plan you might want to discuss with your hubby is what will happen if you have a C-section.

I discussed this with my hubby last night and my main concern was that if I haven't already got an epidural in I might need a general.
I told my hubby under no crcumstances should they offer the baby a bottle just because I'm asleep. Babies don't really need milk straight away so I would rather him wait as I want to exclusively breast feed.

Good idea...actually mine don't start till December 15th. Never thought of it, to be honest!

Thanks Rosebay!

Sue

Well the things that went wrong for me were:

baby pooed when waters broke which is a sign that the baby is distressed..

He was face first so therefore could not be born that way...(known as "face presentation")

His heartbeat stopped so had to be whisked pretty sharpish down to theatre for a c-section

his face was badly swollen from being in that position so they had to take him to the baby unit incase his airways swelled up (bless him he looked liked he had been in 10 rounds with mike tyson!!! :wink: )

Hmmm think thats about it!! sorry dont want to scare any of you!!

Wow Steph...hmmm and the wife of OH cousin developed severe chest pains 3 days after giving birth to a healthy 9lb 11oz baby, and is now back in hospital again without baby having scans etc for a suspected blood clot! Apparently this happens a lot after giving birth? I had no idea?

Other than that, one thing that seems to have OH in a tizzy is that a colleague of his Dad's years ago was given a choice between his wife having a hysterectomy at the time of the birth of their first child, because her life seemed to be at risk. He made the decision that she was NOT to have the op, and his wife lived, and what's more lived to have more children. It seems a very heartless decision that he made, though. OH and I have already talked about it and made the decision that if anything like that ever happened, no risks be taken! Funny the things that come up, eh?

Sue

Rosebay said:
Have you had your antenatal classes yet as we had one entirely devoted to this! It scared the pants off me so I'm ashamed to say that I instantly blanked it all from my mind- sorry! If you haven't had them yet it might be worth asking if they're going to cover it?

+++

Mine didn't include any of this - mine were not even worth going out the house for to be honest! Only had two 1.5hr sessions and just learnt what I already knew. You have 3 stages of labour, the baby comes out, then you get visited by HV's. :roll:

Glad you started the thread, has answered a few of my questions too. hopefully we all have complication free labours!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back