Combined Travel Systems

Squiggle

Reaction score
Hi All :wave:

I know this may be a silly question, but had to ask :oops:

Some one has just told me that the car seats that are part of combined travel systems are only to be used for half an hour at a time. Does anyone know if this is true? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Sorry for the silly question!

xxxx

As far as I understand babies should only go in the car seat to travel (ie, not spend any unnecessary time in there) and it is recommended they do not spend more that 2 hours in there.

:shock:

i've never heard that... we drove 2.5 hours to somerset and back before xmas, and then to and from norfolk after... i also spend hours in town each week!!

i'll have a look in the manual thingy and see if it says anything in there.

it wont be in any manual. its new info, they have not researched it fully yet, there was a long thread about this recently if any one can find it.

some people say its not good for baby to be in that position to long, as it can reduce their oxygen intake and not so good for their backs.

if u have to go on a long journey it cant be helped, but its probably best not to leave baby in car seat any other time.

Thank you for the replies :D

I'm not sure where this information come from, but it has worried me a bit as I was looking at getting one, and baby would need to be in the car for about an hour each way when I go visiting!

xxx

my daughter went to cornwall in hers 3 times and it 7 hours there and back, its just scare mongering hun, as long as when u are in the house they are laid flat lo will be fine

I just read all 9 pages of the linked thread above and decided that i will still get a travel system. I dn't plan on keeping baby in one longer than neccessary but i think a lot of the reports are scaremongering, and i'm sure our babies will be fine!

These prams have been around 15 years+now and if they were unsafe and children were walking round with damaged spines due to having them they would no longer be on sale as the goverment would have beanned them and it would be splashed all over the papers where parents were sueing and that hasnt happened so i think it talks for itself

mary70 said:
These prams have been around 15 years+now and if they were unsafe and children were walking round with damaged spines due to having them they would no longer be on sale as the goverment would have beanned them and it would be splashed all over the papers where parents were sueing and that hasnt happened so i think it talks for itself

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216892.stm

I dont want to scare anybody by posting the link but there are studies into the related risk. In the last year I have heard of 2 such deaths :(

We have been here before "He stressed that the numbers in the study were very small and the chance of any breathless event was rare"
this isnt even a british study there is a whole thread on this somehwere that got a bit out of hand before

Sorry everyone, didn't want to cause any trouble, I had just not heard about this before, and was a little worried. :(

xxx

I havent got a travel system as i didnt like the idea of her being strapped in all the time when out and about. Just made it hard when i had to put her in the car seat when she was asleep but that was the choice i made. Its up to you, do what is easiest for you. I cant see it being a problem unless your baby is strapped in 24 hours a day. Try not to worry over it, do what you think is right

I asked about this in lots of places the last few weeks while we have been shopping for a pram and was told by everyone that you shouldnt leave your baby in car seat/infant carrier for more than 2 hours at a time, BUT since you are likely to need to change/feed her/him its unlikely you would leave them in there any longer anyway and you just give them a 10 or 15 min break laying flat or carried if you have a long journey or trip out.
Apparently this is to discourage you leaving bubs in the carrier all the time for naps etc as they are so convenient.

I have decided to stop stressing over this particular issue and just use my common sense - I wouldnt like to be stuck in the same chair for more than 2 hours either.....

Personally I think its a load of rubbish, my kids and friends kids of previous generations have used them and been fine and so are there spines.

But its your choice, maybe research a bit.

i wouldnt risk it.

i have a travel system yes. but its the trenton deluxe, so when riley was young he went in the carry cot section.

as soon as he got too big for that i got him a quinny buzz, as i wanted him facing me.

i dont think they need to be in them along time, unless when travelling in the car, so why risk using them when walking around town. just not worth it

I hated Jam bein squished in them horrible car seats, I put him flat in the pram from newborn facin away from me so he wouldnt be squashed, he was always asleep in the pram so wasnt a big deal to see him all the time

If ur happy with baby bein in the car seat for like 2hours then thats ur decision, I wasnt so thats why he never was lol :lol:

PERSONAL OPINION :wink:

I wouldn't use the car seat on the pram anyway, the car seat will purely for travelling. I have never said that I was happy with baby being in it for over two hours at a time :|

Squiggle said:
I wouldn't use the car seat on the pram anyway, the car seat will purely for travelling. I have never said that I was happy with baby being in it for over two hours at a time :|

some ppl put the car seat on the pushchair to avoid wakin bubs up, thats what I was referrin to :wink:

We had to drive 3hours to Norfolk when Jam was in that car seat, we kept stoppin to get him out for half hr so he could stretch out on the backseat, I hated how squashed he was in it :x

Have u seen the Jane car seats where they lie flat in the car? Very clever! Theres another one on kiddicare website thats like £400 to lie flat as well!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back